Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, GamerGate

This is something that I've been meaning to get off of my chest for some time, but let me start this with some context:

I have been battling depression for a number of years now (among other things). Apparently my mom's side of the family has had a history of depression and even suicide--I lost an uncle (my mom's brother) to depression when I was young. The thought of the same fate befalling me scares me greatly.

Thus, for the past few months I've been seeing a psychologist about my issues. The meetings seemed to have helped greatly with my mental health.

Then I find out about the GamerGate controversy and the toxic environment surrounding it. At first, I'd merely hoped that it would blow over eventually.

But then this happened:

Early this year I joined RPG.Net, primarily thanks to Shadowjack's deservedly famous and excellent In Which I Watch Sailor Moon. I'd actually been keeping up with it since I first found out about it in 2010.

Well, anyway, I recently found out that the admins had swallowed the whole "#GG is a hate group" BS hook, line, and sinker, and have been permanently banning even long-standing members for even so much as suggesting that they reach out and at least hear out the pro-#GG side (of course, burning bridges instead of building them has become the standard modus operandi for the anti-#GG side, which distresses me as someone who tries to be a diplomatic person).

Basically, I feel utterly unsafe on RPGN. At the same time, I don't want to see something like Shadowjack's project be destroyed in the crossfire of a major internet war.

I cannot explain this to my parents or psychologist as I've never told them any of this (although just recently I've been attempting to explain to them about GamerGate), and I cannot simply because I can't properly explain the context to them.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do at this pont? I would especially like to hear advice from those like Bob Schroek, so that I can maintain some mental sanity!

Please, help me!

Messages In This Thread
So, GamerGate - by Tennie - 10-24-2014, 09:04 PM
[No subject] - by Dartz - 10-24-2014, 11:59 PM
[No subject] - by TheTwisted1 - 10-27-2014, 02:07 AM
[No subject] - by Tennie - 11-25-2014, 05:50 AM
[No subject] - by robkelk - 11-25-2014, 06:28 AM
[No subject] - by Rajvik - 11-25-2014, 07:55 AM
[No subject] - by Bob Schroeck - 11-25-2014, 05:25 PM
[No subject] - by Tennie - 11-25-2014, 07:52 PM
[No subject] - by Bob Schroeck - 11-25-2014, 08:45 PM
[No subject] - by Dartz - 11-25-2014, 10:11 PM