Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
History repeating
History repeating
The IRS is after the mayor of London (yes, the one in England) to pay US taxes. Maybe he should start a movement to declare independence from the American Empire in protest over taxation without representation.

o_O; WUT. *reads article*

Oh... Kayyyeeee... So he is an American Citizen. Really, he should have renounced a long time ago if he really didn't want to wind up having to pay taxes. He especially should not have baited the sleeping alligator with that book tour of his after renewing his passport. Dumbass.

All the same, though, I don't like what's been happening with the taxes and fees for renouncing going up like that. Combined with current difficulties with immigration, it's like as if it's a financial Iron Curtain - nobody enters, nobody leaves... except for the people with the 'right' credentials. :p

That's always the difference between East and West

In the 'East', you can afford, but are not permitted.
In the 'West', you are permitted, but cannot afford.

Although, taxing citizens abroad is just that little bit silly anyway.

Well, that's the thing though. Half the time, the people that do it are fat cats that are trying to escape taxation while enjoying the benefits of being US Citizens. You can see why that would not sit well with some.

Although, granted, some are certainly legitimate entrepreneurs out and about, doing what they do... though even then I don't feel that's much of an excuse, either, because they got their start here in America with an American education. (Granted, that's not worth much when compared to other countries, but hey, there's still infrastructure and other public services they and their parents partook of.)

The only person that may have a leg to stand on would be folks like this London Mayor, and that's only out of sheer ignorance of the facts. (Hell, I didn't even know about it until now.) But then he went out of his way to draw attention to himself. Dumbass.
EDIT: Interesting Thought - the more and more you go down this road, the closer and closer the arguments get to sounding like a debate on Sovereign Citizens.  And I hate those lunatics because they are a perversion of what it means to be American.