Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Joy of Tax Day
The Joy of Tax Day
As another April 15th starts to fade away it is time to remember how the tax software companies like Intuit have helped us. They have seen the suffering of American tax payers and has spent millions of dollars to ensure that that suffering does not end. Wait, did I say help us, I meant we should remember how they have helped themselves by screwing us.
Imagine if the DMV operated the way our income tax system works:
"Well yes, we do know what numbers ought to go in those blanks but we're going to ask you to look up your car's VIN, then look up the details on these tables, oh, and if you make a mistake on any of the math and it doesn't agree with our calculations we'll make you pay a penalty."
"Wait, you already have the numbers? You've already calculated what I owe? How about you just tell me that number?"
"Sorry, the Auto Registration Software companies will have their pet legislator kill my job if we do that. How else will they sell AutoTax or DMV At Home if we just tell you what we think you owe?"
-----

Will the transhumanist future have catgirls? Does Japan still exist? Well, there is your answer.

I blame the IRS first and foremost. The Constitution enshrines the concept that we are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

But when the IRS accuses you of anything at all, you are guilty, period, end of sentence, no appeal.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

I've read enough public choice theory that this seems pretty obvious to me. It's pretty much an expected outcome of democratic government.

Secondly, a relevant quote:
Quote:Capitation taxes, if it is attempted to proportion them to the fortune or revenue of each contributor, become altogether arbitrary. The state of a man's fortune varies from day to day, and without an inquisition more intolerable than any tax, and renewed at least once every year, can only be guessed at. His assessment, therefore, must in most cases depend upon the good or bad humour of his assessors, and must, therefore, be altogether arbitrary and uncertain.
From BooK V, Chapter 2 of An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith.
"If you
wish to converse with me, define your
terms."

--Voltaire