• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mother Lets 6 y.o. daughter shave her head, internet flips its shit
Mother Lets 6 y.o. daughter shave her head, internet flips its shit
Here's the original article:
http://babydustdiaries.wordpress.com/2 ... ters-hair/
And here's the shit-fit:
http://www.today.com/parents/6-year-old ... cid=sm_fbn
So... discuss? Or not?
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Hair will grow back - or not, if the youngster likes the look and can live with the reactions.

What's the issue here?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:robkelk wrote:
Hair will grow back - or not, if the youngster likes the look and can live with the reactions.

What's the issue here?
There isn't one, and that's the point.
People are primed to react with outrage to anything the media reports as unusual, because the media only reports the outrageous. "If it bleeds, it leads," and all that.
So the media reports something mildly unusual on a slow news day, and it suddenly gets blown out of proportion and you have a mother indulging unusual fashion sense turned into a child abuse case.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

This is kinda like the time when that family (mom, dad, and a 6 month old) went out to sail the Atlantic and Murphy's Law struck in every which possible way. Even their satellite phone went out because the operating company went and switched SIM Chip brands without notifying anyone in advance.

And when the public at large found out about it, they went apeshit, not realizing that there's a whole subset of people around the world (albeit they're a small percentage, but they're out there) who actually thrive, living and even raising children while sailing around the world. The fact that this came to light was simply something that went wrong in the worst possible ways - including the publicity angle.

People don't seem to realize that there are lifestyles that are not within what we consider the norm, but it's okay because there's no real harm in it. Some of these lifestyles do carry risk factors we never have to face - some of them the likes of which most cannot even imagine - but more often than not the people that lives these lifestyles are trained and certified to handle those risks.

So a cute little critter wants to go all Sinéad O'Conner? More power to the tyke, I say, and kudos to her mom for going through with it.

It reminds me of the "wrong fandom" kids.

Little Girl likes Star Wars: Other girls tease her, internet supports the CRAP out of her.

Little Boy likes My little Pony: Gets bullied, teachers TAKE HIS MLP BACK PACK AWAY, bronies try to support him, get drowned out by SJWs screaming about male privilege.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Honestly i don't see the problem or the shitstorm. The mother is remembering her own angst and the comments struck me as accurate about that angst.