Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"JurassicGate" Yet another reason to love Chris Pratt ^_^
"JurassicGate" Yet another reason to love Chris Pratt ^_^
It seems ever since #GamerGate kicked off last August the PC police have begun lashing out in every direction as if to compensate for their inability to cower gamers back into line.  
Just a few days ago there was a rather predictable uproar from the "trigger" crowd about a controversial rape scene in the latest episode of Game of Thrones. Of course, nearly every episode includes scenes of people being horrifically injured or dying, not only in battle, but by being tortured, having limbs amputated, drowned, burnt or tossed off cliffs. Children are given poison to drink. Distinguished community leaders are burned alive and eaten by dragons. If there's one thing you can be assured of, it's that George R.R. Martin truly gets how awful and brutal life in a middle age (fantasy) culture can be, and how cheap life is and has been for the vast majority of humanity's past. And he doesn't shrink from portraying it. But somehow this scene crossed a line. “Never mind all that brutal murder, off-screen rape is where I draw the line!”
Just a couple weeks earlier there was a backlash against Avengers: Age of Ultron because Black Widow’s desire to have children apparently undermines her character in a way the skin-tight leather suit never did.  There was so much vitriol sent Joss Whedon’s way for this that when he left Twitter, everyone assumed angry feminists drove him off.  He later told BuzzFeed that was not the reason despite his explanation sounding quite a bit like it was.
And it goes on and on. Scientists wear unacceptable shirts. Star Wars fans are racist for wondering about that black Stormtrooper. Yahoo even has people complaining that the new Supergirl series’ trailer is too girly and therefore sexist.
Well, Jurassic World star Chris Pratt decided he’s not waiting to be accused of some kind of -ism for a comment during the upcoming press junket for that film.  Instead, he issued a terribly amusing pre-apology on his Facebook page:
Quote:I want to make a heartfelt apology for whatever it is I end up accidentally saying during the forthcoming ?#?JurassicWorld? press tour. I hope you understand it was never my intention to offend anyone and I am truly sorry. I swear. I’m the nicest guy in the world. And I fully regret what I (accidentally will have) said in (the upcoming foreign and domestic) interview(s).
I am not in the business of making excuses. I am just dumb. Plain and simple. I try. I REALLY try! When …I do (potentially) commit the offensive act for which I am now (pre) apologizing you must understand I (will likely have been) tired and exhausted when I (potentially) said that thing I (will have had) said that (will have had) crossed the line. Those rooms can get stuffy and the hardworking crews putting these junkets together need some entertainment! (Likely) that is who I was trying to crack up when I (will have had) made that tasteless and unprofessional comment. Trust me. I know you can’t say that anymore. In fact in my opinion it was never right to say the thing I definitely don’t want to but probably will have said. To those I (will have) offended please understand how truly sorry I already am. I am fully aware that the subject matter of my imminent forthcoming mistake, a blunder (possibly to be) dubbed “JurassicGate” is (most likely) in no way a laughing matter. To those I (will likely have had) offended rest assured I will do everything in my power to make sure this doesn’t happen (again).
Looks like he picked up a few tricks from his character on how to tame raptors.  Funnily enough, Jurassic World has already been accused of sexism by none other than the aforementioned Joss Whedon*:
Quote:…and I’m too busy wishing this clip wasn’t 70’s era sexist. She’s a stiff, he’s a life-force – really? Still? http://t.co/qqts4jpSva
— Joss Whedon (@josswhedon) 
April 10, 2015
No doubt Pratt’s apology will fail to pacify the rabid dinosaurs who will inevitably complain about how awful he and his movie are for not empowering women in the specific way they want to see this week, but if there’s one thing I’ve learned from watching #GamerGate for these last 9 months or so is that laughing in the face of the perpetually offended like this utterly DESTROYS them.  They simply don’t have the self-esteem to withstand it! ^_^
For years people have simply bent over for the PC police because it wasn’t worth the effort to fight with them and/or because most people genuinely don’t want to hurt other people’s feelings.  It seems those days of appeasement are finally coming to an end.
(*Since Whedon’s Twitter account is gone now, there's no way to link to the original tweet)

From the looks of it, the GG experience has shown that the PC police can be fought back against.  I wouldn't be surprised if that has helped to kick off the current pushback (once relegated to right-wing corners, until GG peeled back the curtains for a good number of left-wing people).  I hope that this trend continues, but at the same time I also hope that things don't end up going too far in the other direction!

Quote:Tennie wrote:
I hope that this trend continues, but at the same time I also hope that things don't end up going too far in the other direction!
Oh yes - quite so. I doubt that it will. But if it does, I'll be one of the first to turn around and nail them for it. No homophobes, bigots, or misogynists please. Just people with common sense enough to place a stop on the SJWs and their misandry and hate for all things western and capitalist. 

I honestly hate to say it, since the culture it arose from rubs me so wrong, but...

Haters are gonna hate.

:p