Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump news
Trump news
Okay, Donald Trump announced he's running for President.
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/06/d ... 19066.html
The best line was this:
“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending
their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re
sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those
problems with us. They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime,
they’re rapists, and some, I assume, are good people.”So in response, Univision pulled the plug on the Miss USA Pageant, which is co- owned by Trump and cut ties with him.
Trumps response: He'll sue Univision and ban their employees from using his golf course.
http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/201 ... html?ml=po
The GOP leadership knew from their 2012 autopsy they have to be a "Big Top" party to have a better chance of winning the Presidential general election. Even Bobby Jindal said the GOP has to stop being the stupid party. That was before he started doing stupid things. Too bad no one told Trump that.
Now Trump is 8th in the polls, which would qualify him to the grown-ups debate stage. He doesn't have to file paperwork with the FEC until 45 days after his announcement, with 2 possible 45 day extensions. So he can be on the first 2 debates in July and August and then disappear.
So what was the reaction to Jeb "I am a Latino" Bush and Marco Rubio to all of this, as of now?
*Sound of crickets*
So ladies and gentlemen, when debate nite comes around, gather around and have the popcorn ready. In the words of a circus announcer, "Welcome to the Greatest Show On Earth"
Edit: Forgot to add the "y" to Bobby 
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

It looks like he's reaping what he's sown:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-33321290
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Why does he keep insisting he'll sue?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Because he can't win on the basis of his arguments or ideology.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Pretending for the moment I'm a competent CEO of a company... On one hand is a large market segment that has been insulted by a businessman my company has dealings with. On the other hand is a businessman who is known for talking loudly and claiming to be a business genius despite a string of failures - who also claimed to be struggling to manage to survive on a $450K/month allowance after one bankruptcy... Wait, why was I dealing with this guy again?
-----

Will the transhumanist future have catgirls? Does Japan still exist? Well, there is your answer.

So, what do you think? He doesn't have anywhere to go to after this. NBC might take him back, but doubtful right now. So the GOP definitely has a loose cannon on their hands.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Oh, hey! Ross Perot 2.0!
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

And according to CBS Radio News this morning, Trump is suing Univision for $500 million, basically on the grounds that the contract breakage is a "political stunt engineered by a Hillary Clinton supporter". Truly, it is as Baal Shem Tov said, "A lawsuit is the last refuge of the incompetent."
-- Bob
---------

You know, we had a crazy businessman with little connection with reality manage to make it into parliament with our last election. His new political party, named after himself naturally, is already imploding. So, speaking from experience, my sympathies. This is going to keep bouncing between hilarious and painfully stupid fast enough to give you whiplash.

Latest development: Macy's is dumping all the Donald Trump products it sells and terminating its relationship with him (he's been in some of their commercials). http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/01/politics/ ... index.html]Story here.
-- Bob
---------

http://popehat.com/2015/07/01/donald-tr ... mation-is/
A commentary on his case from a fairly well known legal blogger.
It includes the phrase "meritless thuggery"

I don't like Donald Trump. Never have. I dislike that the showman for the circus of himself (because that's what he really is) is running for President because he has ZERO chance of winning, and is merely a sideshow distraction that the press will LOVE to cover. He's a buffoon. 
(On the other hand, while they're paying attention to Trump, the positive side of this from the Republican perspective is that as long as he lasts, it's that much less time the press has to spend smearing the other (R) candidates. If by his distraction, he highlights the fact that at least half or more of the other candidates are normal and reasonable choices and not the baby killing, racist psychopaths that the press WANTS people to believe they all are, then he'd be doing the Republicans a favor.)

Quote:Logan Darklighter wrote:
I don't like Donald Trump. Never have. I dislike that the showman for the circus of himself (because that's what he really is) is running for President because he has ZERO chance of winning, and is merely a sideshow distraction that the press will LOVE to cover. He's a buffoon. 
(On the other hand, while they're paying attention to Trump, the positive side of this from the Republican perspective is that as long as he lasts, it's that much less time the press has to spend smearing the other (R) candidates. If by his distraction, he highlights the fact that at least half or more of the other candidates are normal and reasonable choices and not the baby killing, racist psychopaths that the press WANTS people to believe they all are, then he'd be doing the Republicans a favor.)
Actually, there already has been press attention to the rest of the GOP herd about Trump's shenanigans. Which is why they haven't said anything about his anti-Mexican (read Latino) rants. Especially from Jeb "I'm a Latino " Bush, Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz. That wall of silence is deafening. Especially from Bush. His wife came from Mexico. He speaks fluent Spanish. He has touted himself as being sensitive to the Mexican community. His silence reeks of going along with the rest of the GOP herd. I really don't think he actually believes in Trump's drivel.
And since you opened up about what happened in Charleston, the same question. Why did they wait for Nikki Haley to weigh in on the matter? If it is as they claim, "a local matter", then they're acquiescing to  "states rights" on this matter. That it's up to the states to decide whether good old fashioned racism (and hate crimes) is good thing or not. Note that the KKK is planning a rally in Charleston S.C on July 16th.
So these guys are for moral values, what sort of morale values do they espouse when they silent? What sort of leadership do they show when they silent? Is it a case of "Though Shalt Not Insult A Fellow Republican?"
So from a general election point of view, the GOP presidential herd are shooting themselves in the foot. The GOP autopsy of 2012 stated that the GOP has to be a "Big Top" party that have a chance of winning the Presidency . The Latino community would be a very good fit for the GOP because of their conservative values. So what does the GOP do? Drive them into the arms of the Democrats. Tell me if that is stupid or not.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

I'll address a very specific point and posit a question. 
The press has a double-standard on topics like this. When a Democrat candidate stumbles, the press NEVER seems to expect that any other Democratic candidate have to "answer for the whole party." 

Hillary Clinton has had almost innumerable scandals follow her into her Presidential campaign. Both in 2012 and even more so in 2014. Is anyone expecting Bernie Sanders or any other Democrat candidate (I heard another joined up yesterday but I can't recall who it is at the moment) to immediately denounce her shenanigans? Or are they simply waiting for a more opportune moment later in the campaign? 

Or will the press simply never ask those questions of them? And will they ignore the fact that THEY have been silent about Benghazi, the email server scandal, the IRS scandal, or anything else? 

My money is on the latter. The press (excepting MAYBE Fox News) will not ask those questions. Or - those who would ask them will only be those in the "blogosphere" and will not really be heard nationally or with enough volume/authority to force an answer. 

Now... Having said that, why SHOULD any Democratic candidate running against Hillary "answer" for gaffs she's made? 

One of the most important rules in politics and campaigning goes something like: "When your opponent is messing up, don't say anything at all. Let him shoot his own foot off. Saying anything allows him to try to deflect and make YOU a target." 
The Democrats are obviously following this rule. 

The Republicans obviously think that rule applies to them as well. 

Unfortunately, they have yet to learn that the rules are different for them and they are held to a MUCH more demanding standard from the press and the media than Democrats. As anyone who has posted in this thread so far proves, since you have taken that standard as well. 

In regards to the Republicans not seeming to understand this after almost 50 years... 

In that regard I would agree - they most definitely are messing up.  But then Republicans have an uncanny ability to hobble their own image and chances in an election. 

The Republicans are definitely living up to their reputation as "the stupid party" as they always seem to do. 

Quote:The press has a double-standard on topics like this. When a Democrat
candidate stumbles, the press NEVER seems to expect that any other
Democratic candidate have to "answer for the whole party." 
And is the stumble personal, political, national or in this case cultural? Is it inadvertent or is it deliberate? A political figure can have an affair (personal) or sell favors (political) and none is going to pin the blame on the party. Doesn't matter of Dem or GOP, you'll have plenty of examples on both sides.
But when you have a loose cannon like Trump, start spouting racist and anti immigrant drivel (and remember he is running for POTUS), what does to the GOP herd or specifically to Jeb Bush, who said that he would rather lose a primary than lose the general election. Eisenhower got criticized for giving up his personal convictions, when he failed to defend his mentor, George C.Marshall, against attacks by Joseph McCarthy during his presidential campaign. and while anti-immigrant and racist sentiments still prevails, it's not exactly popular in this day and age.
 [/url]
Quote:Hillary Clinton has had almost innumerable scandals follow her into her
Presidential campaign. Both in 2012 and even more so in 2014. Is anyone
expecting Bernie Sanders or any other Democrat candidate (I heard
another joined up yesterday but I can't recall who it is at the moment)
to immediately denounce her shenanigans? Or are they simply waiting for a
more opportune moment later in the campaign?)
Scandals for the Clintons:
White Water - Three separate inquiries found insufficient evidence linking them with the criminal conduct of others related to the land deal
Travelgate - In 2000, Independent Counsel [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Ray_%28prosecutor%29]Robert Ray

issued his final report on Travelgate. He sought no charges against
her, saying that she had made factually false statements but there was
insufficient evidence her statements were either knowingly false or that
she understood that her statements led to the firings.
Filegate - On November 19, 1998, Independent Counsel Starr testified before the House Judiciary Committee in connection with the Impeachment of Bill Clinton
over charges related to the Lewinsky scandal. Here, for the first time,
Starr exonerated both President Clinton and the First Lady of
complicity in the FBI files matter, saying "while there are outstanding
issues that we are attempting to resolve with respect to one individual
[we] found no evidence that anyone higher [than Livingstone or Marceca]
was in any way involved in ordering the files from the FBI. Second, we
have found no evidence that information contained in the files of former
officials was used for an improper purpose."
Monica Lewinski - In this case, HRC is the aggrieved party.
Benghazi - When is the committee going to wrap up it's investigation again?
The server affair - Yes, I will admit it. HRC committed a a violation of the federal act requiring that all records of her time in the State Department be placed in the Federal government. The severity? Right now, it's "de minimis"
So I am most willing to denounce her flouting the rule that lesser mortals in the federal government have to abide by.
Quote:Unfortunately, they have yet to learn that the rules are different for
them and they are held to a MUCH more demanding standard from the press
and the media than Democrats. As anyone who has posted in this thread so
far proves, since you have taken that standard as well.
I demand a higher standard for anyone running for the highest office in the land. If someone kills 9 people in a church in the name of white supremacy, where do you stand? If a fellow candidate spouts bigotry, where do you stand? For all of them, I'd ask how ethical a government do you plan to run? What policies do you endorse? Who would benefit the most?
Quote:The Republicans are definitely living up to their reputation as "the stupid party" as they always seem to do.
The crazy thing is Jindal is not following his own advice. Which is even stupider.

And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Well, some of the GOP herd broke their silence.
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/t ... ml?hp=r3_3
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Oh fer fucks sake....

CRUZ! QUIT MAKING US LOOK BAD, YOU GODDAMN LILY LIVERED TRANSPLANTED EXCUSE OF A TEXIAN!

From my personal lexicon
Transplant: Someone whose family has moved to Texas in recent decades in order to gain political and financial affluence. Especially political. The Bushes are well establish in my book for this, as Prescott Bush (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prescott_Bush) was originally a senator from Connecticut, and his son, George HW Bush, decided to set up shop in Texas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_H. ... ess_career).

Y'know, looking at what people are saying, I can't help but wonder if it's possible to have no Good Choices.

Logan Darklighter Wrote:...
Unfortunately, they have yet to learn that the rules are different for them and they are held to a MUCH more demanding standard from the press and the media than Democrats. As anyone who has posted in this thread so far proves, since you have taken that standard as well. 
You're saying that my mentioning that actions have consequences makes me a hypocrite. I strongly suggest you reconsider that position.
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:Black Aeronaut wrote:
Oh fer fucks sake....

CRUZ! QUIT MAKING US LOOK BAD, YOU GODDAMN LILY LIVERED TRANSPLANTED EXCUSE OF A TEXIAN!

From my personal lexicon
Transplant: Someone whose family has moved to Texas in recent decades in order to gain political and financial affluence. Especially political. The Bushes are well establish in my book for this, as Prescott Bush (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prescott_Bush) was originally a senator from Connecticut, and his son, George HW Bush, decided to set up shop in Texas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_H. ... ess_career).
Well, at least I know you didn't vote for the guy.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

I'd sooner vote for Loud Cthulu.

That said, HW Bush wasn't too terrible of a president for a Republican. Coming in off the heals of Reagan did him a lot of good in that respect. That said, it's probably for the best he only served one term - both for his publicity and for the nation.

Quote:Black Aeronaut wrote:
I'd sooner vote for Loud Cthulu.

That said, HW Bush wasn't too terrible of a president for a Republican. Coming in off the heals of Reagan did him a lot of good in that respect. That said, it's probably for the best he only served one term - both for his publicity and for the nation.
Bush'41 was more of a nuts and bolts man than a visionary. and he was a pragmatist.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Dartz... I've not felt we've had any good choices nationally in the US for as long as I've been old enough to vote. Or, if we have, they got eliminated early in the primaries.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

But we had elected worse choices. Bush'43 can be argued to had been the worse president we had elected in the last 20 years. Especially since it was decided by the Supreme Court. It can be argued we would had gone into Iraq under Gore. But I doubt it. But at least Gore wouldn't have Donald Rumsfeld (aka Darth Vader) as the man pulling his strings in his first term.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Foxboy Wrote:Dartz... I've not felt we've had any good choices nationally in the US for as long as I've been old enough to vote. Or, if we have, they got eliminated early in the primaries.
Consider that anyone entering politics is going to be the subject of attack ads, and anyone actually elected to major office is going to be scrutinized 24x7.

Then consider that anyone entering the business world won't have to put up with either of those conditions, will make more money than the politicians who are at comparable levels of success, and (at the highest levels) will still be as famous as the politicians.

All the good choices are going into business, not politics.
--
Rob Kelk