Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's an important day in Britain today...

The French will be vindictive? Well that's uncharacteristic! *eye roll*. Sorry don't mean to be snarky, just disgruntled by the whole thing. There is a chance that whoever the new PM is will draw out the process enough that the French opposition gets loud enough about the tyrannical EU that the President will have to dial down the rhetoric.... but no. I'm well aware that it's a pipe dream and we're basically fucked over here, at least in the short term.

http://jollyjack.deviantart.com/art/Bre ... -617421714
http://jollyjack.deviantart.com/art/Bur ... -618489730

And in today's news. Michael Gover channels Francis Urquhart. Not Frank Underwood.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

And Boris Johnson doesn't want to be PM after all.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/boris-john ... -1.3659459

Can't imagine why...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Looks like there'll end up being an election. Then a mandate to ignore. Then they'll forget it ever happened

The UK might forget, but from what I've been hearing the French will do their best to hold the UK to the vote.
--
Rob Kelk

I think Europe's acting under the impression that the great British Public are a lot like the Great French Public or the German Public and that they sat down on and read the full details of what they wre voting for, the possible positives and negatives and made a rational democratic decision, when it appearrs that they just read The Sun instead.

Meanwhile, things are getting just a little bit Game of Thrones.

Is going Number 10 worth a burning a country's economy to ashes, a free Scottish Republic and Northern Ireland being abandoned to it's grim unwanted fate?

I'm a proud Brexit supporter.  Like the ERM stupidity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Wednesday) the economic chaos is the side effect of project fear. McDonald's did not run out of burgers.  Godzilla did not rise from the ocean and eat everyone on the east coast.  The FTSE 100 has regained all its losses.  The only reason the pound is still weak is the talk from the bank of England about emergency rate cuts and I expect the FTSE 250 (which is only being mentioned at all because it hasn't yet regained all its losses) will be back to normal within weeks.
I suspect most of the Northern Ireland remain voters were the nationalists who want to leave Britain anyway.  Also they are free to cross over the border into the republic (after all the EU believes the mass movement of millions of people has no negative consequences).
Scotland doesn't have a common border with a EU country but if they don't choose independence, the remainers have at least 2 years to migrate across the channel.  If Scotland actually want independence then they have my best wishes, but I can't understand how anyone who claims to want independence could think being in the E.U. is a good idea.
Finally there was a newspaper front page 20 odd years ago that had an headline something like God's Verdict on the EU.  Denmark had rejected a EU treaty and won Euro 1992 despite being eliminated in the qualifying competition.  The U.K. accepted the treaty and suffered significant flooding.  Coincidence?  Now consider the Euro 2016 results.  Northern Ireland were eliminated the 1st match after the remain vote.  Wales voted to leave and are already talking of their greatest ever result (and on current form have a decent chance in the semi-final against an off-form Portugal).  On the other hand, I admit I though the Brexit vote could mean an England v Wales final but England followed Northern Ireland out the door and I won't pretend to have the slightest idea why (other than playing the worst football in the tournament).

Meanwhile, Iceland has not changed its position on the EU and is doing substantially differently in EURO 2016 than they have in previous cups. Your "football equals something important" theory has a hole in it.
--
Rob Kelk

My theories have more holes than swiss cheese.  I believe in signs and portents, but the trick is knowing what is a deliberate act by a higher power and what is random chance.  If Wales don't win the championship my theory is false.  If Wales do win, my theory is probably still false anyway, but I will take it as an omen anyway.

Quote:Dartz wrote:
Looks like there'll end up being an election. Then a mandate to ignore. Then they'll forget it ever happened
Didn't something like that happen in Ireland a while back? It's been a while, but I vaguely remember there being an EU referendum there maybe fifteen years ago that didn't produce the outcome that the Lords and Masters wanted, so they just waited a little while and held another one.

Another resignation, but for what I consider to be the right reason.

UKIP leader Nigel Farage, having got what he wanted to get when he went into politics, is now leaving politics.
--
Rob Kelk

Otherwise know as realising it's gone horribly right, and fucking off before he takes the blame

It's been pointed out to me that he has a habit of announcing he's resigning, then coming back the next day... so I might end up changing my opinion of this announcement.
--
Rob Kelk

Farage is gone too?  Thank goodness the UK has the strong leadership of the Scottish National Party and Sinn Fein to rely on.
-- ∇×V
I Suppose It Was Inevitable...

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

A few Yes Minister /Yes Prime Minister scenes of relevence.  2 scenes on the nature of Europe:
and
and given the fact that the UK wil have our second female prime minister I end with the "who reads the daily newspapers" scene. 
Hopefully there are no region issues.
Mark

If those weren't enlightening enough, The Guardian has a new Yes Minister script by the original writers: http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... r-humphrey
Brexit means Brexit indeed.
-- ∇×V

Considering it was published in The Guardian, that was actually a decent script and much better than I expected.