Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your life depends on a very thin wire.
Your life depends on a very thin wire.
I have a degree in Engineering with a focus on Electrical Engineering or EE and while I have ended up being a farmer and part time or hobbie Tech I still try to keep up with all things electrical.
Well before I had my degree starting back in the 1980's I had started to worry about the United States power grid and it's lack of redundancy.
Since finally gaining my degree I have seen little to change my worry, but in the past 7 or 8 years I have seen decision made  that have greately increased my worry about the electrical grid.
The power grid is a critical non redundant life support system for roughly 90% of the people in the US and much of Canada.(In other words without it you have a roughly 90% chance of being dead a few months after the national power grid fails.)
The vulnerabilities that I am seeing hinted at or openly mentioned in engineering magazines, email news letters and in private conversations now place this well beyond being a minor worry.
First probably the most important thing you need to do is look around your home right now and think about how much water you have and how long it will last if there is no more water being supplied to you by the electric pumps.
After you have filled several bottles or jugs with water and set them aside please continue reading.
Have you filled those water bottles yet?
In the mid 80's and early 90's when I was working part time on an Engineering degree the electrical grid was sometiimes compared to a set of dominoes arranged in a circle all it took was one failing to start a cascade that had the potential to topple everything.
At the time causing a failure to cascade through the entire national network was relatively hard to cause, because their were controls that would cut off or cut out sections and that usually stopped the cascade of failures so only one or two of the dominoes would go down.
That's not to say putting roughly 90% of our life support on  the 1980's electrical grid was safe, sane or anywhere near prudent back then, but that power grid was nowhere near as fragile as it is today in 2016.
Back in the 1980's the electrical grid was distributed over a wide area in terms of control and power generation and it had an army of techs and engineers maintaining it making for relatively good security and defense. The grid of the 1980's, barring "exotic" attacks would have mostly required an attack on the scale of traditional war to take all of it down.
Two so called "exotics" are a nuclear device detonated over the center of the 48 states, perhaps that new North Korean satellite tumbling through a unstable LEO and regularly passing  over the 48 states has a small(just a few kilotons) atomic bomb, just enough to blackout half the US or maybe we get a corona mass ejection striking earth's magnetic field like the one that almost hit the earth in 2012 or the one that did hit the Earth in 1859, both of these exotics would have dropped all or nearly all the dominoes in a moment and taken the army of engineers, line men and techs years to rebuild.
Sadly that was the 1980's today the level of safety and redundancy in the electrical grid has become terrifyingly low, it's so bad I think you should worry about water each time the power flickers, because the odds are getting very good it will be the last power failure that a large percentage of the people in the United States would live to see.(remember the 90% casualties above, it's worse today!)
Once our electrical grid is shut down on a national scale it is likely going to take a minimum  of 3 years and more likely at least 7 or more before the US  will have an electrical grid again. (Nearly every model says a very large number of people in America  won't live to see it's return.)
Today roughly 30 years after the mid 1980's the CEOs of private or government run electrical grids like to talk about how much they have "improved" the power grid, how cheap, how reliable it is and how rare power failures are statistically, but what they don't tell you is that the "improvements" almost never addressed the life threatening  problem of losing the power grid and in many cases has actually greatly increased the danger of the entire national grid being shutdown or destroyed.
In my personal opinion in the past 30 years they have "improved" the power grid into a a topology that looks more like a upside down pyramid of stacked blocks carefully balanced on a very sharp point made of glass.  
It no longer is a ring of dominoes with an army of engineers, linemen and tech supporting it.
Don't believe it's been turned into a upside down pyramid? Read on.
Instead of increased redundancy, the power companies (private and state owned) have reduced or removed any redundancy especially in the critical control network for the power grid and employees that control and maintain it.
Near as I can tell there are far fewer supporting a larger structure that is now controlled by an array of inflexable computers all linked together on a network that is available to the world.
The power grid control network today in 2016 instead of using high security and physically isolated phone lines with backup instead has been moved to the internet.  
Yes the communication lines controling the power grid have been put by the power companies on the internet, mostly in the name of saving money and ease of control.
Think about it this way, at best the entire world is roughly one 4 or 5 digit hard wired number and one hopefully random 16 digit  number(picked by a CEO or an assistent) away from accessing the controls of most any power station, dam control valve and electrical sub station in the United States.
Internet control of America's power grid now extends from the internet aware smart meter at the customer and continues all the way through the substations to the dams and conventional gas and coal fired power plants.
I am hopeful, but don't really hold out much, given what I've been reading that maybe they have at least kept the nuclear power plants isolated from the internet.
Now read this nice short article about a 2013 attack
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35151492
Here is someone from the CIA talking about smart meters back in 2011, just like what is almost certainly on your home or business today..

Most of the information I've seen on smart meters seems to indicate most come from the factory with the same default password and most companies never bother to change that password or at best they change  the default to a single password that is used in every internet aware smart meter purchased by that company.
As a Engineer and hobbist programer  I can easily imagine what say a North Korean or Iranian hacker could do if he has found the single password used by a power companies internet controlled smart meter. Perhaps the hacker is part of a large group working for a nation and they have obtained the password  for 10 or more power company's smart meters.
It would be trivial to write a program that addresses each of these individual company smart meters using their single standard password  and then change this password to something random once that is done order the "smart" meter to turn the power off.
Doesn't sound so bad? Multiply that one smart meter by lets say only 10000 then multiply those 10000 powerless customers(say gas stations, medical  and pumping stations) by say an average of 10 minutes minimum time per smart meter needed for a tech to reach an individual meter and "repair" it.
Those 10000 smart meters are going to take just under 70 days to be turned back on.
Sounds like an I'm wildly overstating how much damage the hacker has done? Remember 10000 smart meters and 10 minutes is just the critical infrastructure that has been turned off and giving a time of just under 70 days for full restore is a big simplification that is easy to calculate.
In any realistic hack attack using all of a power company's "smart" meter's we will actually be talking about hundreds of thousands of customers having their power turned off at the pole.
If the hackers have done thier programming there will be no ability to command a turn on over the internet and the only way the power company will have to turn power back on is to send out line crew ordered to bypass meters, techs with every lock smith the power company can grab and the few dozen techs that happen to have one of the non-standard hard to copy keys needed to open the meter and manually reset it.
(The power company probably won't buy many reset override keys because those keys are a security risk and are designed to be hard to copy making them relatively expensive.)
Also remember once that tech gets to the smart meter and he probably can't simply factory reset the "smart" meter because that is probably the password that the attacking hacker used to turn it off in the first place.
If the Hacker happens to be or have access to a EE then changing the password and turning off the power is one of the least destructive types of attacks.(Think positive feedback or resonance, lets turn it into a question "Have you ever deafened yourself and/or broke a stereo speaker with a badly set microphone?")
Think the above internet based power grid attack is only a theory?
Russian hackers or possible hackers with Russian sympathies have shut down part of a nation's power grid.   http://www.engadget.com/2016/01/06/hack ... n-ukraine/
This internet attack was at the substation level and still took quite a bit of time repair because it required techs to travel to every shutdown substation and manually repair it.
I'll also say that while the news media and electrical companies publically call it the "first" successful hacker based attack, most Engineers or programmers would at least reluctantly admitt that it probably wasn't.
This attack was simply the first one where the hackers wanted to be clear what and why they did it or possibly they didn't have access to a EE.
I've been focusing on the  power companies, but that is my own bias toward electronics showing.
It's not just the power companies decisions and actions it is also pretty much all companies along with the city, county, state and federal government that have taken steps that have effectively removed all redundancy from our nation's LIFE SUPPORT systems.
In the early 1980's and even into the late 1980's you commonly had 3 to 5 days of stored food in most cities  if the power grid failed with several cities and even entire counties being capable of returning as "Islands" of power within 2 to 5 days due to the privately or city owned power plants and trained crews hired to run them.
That is no longer true, most of these smaller coal or gas fired power plants are gone today with the employees retired or fired and even in the cases where their is still a power plant producing power most of the employees that knew how to run it are retired  or moved to other jobs and all the controls are now passed through the internet to a central control station quite a distance away.
That 3 to 5 days of emergency life support was the 1980's, but today in our highly advanced modern world of 2016 most cities have much less than 12 hours of food, nearly zero hours of water and effectively only what ever fuel is in the vehicle's fuel tanks when the power fails.
I've seen suggestions and read of anecdotal incidents that say less than 4 hours of food is a more accurate model and as for fuel, well without the power grid the fuel you have in your vehicle's tank or possibly in a "jerry can" for your lawn mower is all the fuel you will ever have, at least from the point of view of your greatly shortened lifespan.
You would think gas stations would have emergency generators wouldn't you.
(Glance over this Link.)http://www.cga.ct.gov/2012/rpt/2012-R-0539.htm
Did these proposals do much? I'm down south so I missed the recent snow storm and associated power failures did any of your local gas stations start up generators?
What my light reading seems to indicate is disheartening, very few stations are actually being set up with emergency generators and I don't think I've seen any town or city actually buying equipment and the training  needed to set up a town or city level microgrid capable of keeping the water flowing and gas stations pumping.
I do know a few years back there were laws or policies in some states that forbid the installation of a generator at gas stations and when you factor in the  anti-theft design most gas stations have built into their designs it becomes a lot harder than simply wheeling in a portable generator up and splicing it into the pumps circuit breakers and start pumping gas.
Perhaps the idea of just opening the gas stations often underground gas tank's filling spout and "snaking" a  jury rigged hose in that way and connecting it to some type of jury rigged pump.  
Then you need to think about this (fairly sensible) policy I run across at at least one gas station chain.  The chain has a policy of not keeping the keys for the filling spout at the gas station itself.(Presumably the deliver driver has a key or a person arrives with the key when the deliver driver brings fuel.)
Now ask yourself if you want to be anywhere near a gas station when someone is using a drill on the fuel tank's filling spout, especially a gas station with a fuel tank holding an unknown mixture of liquid gas and gas fumes right near the hot drill and it's air cooled motor.(ever watched a electric drill's  motor spark through the cooling vents?)
Also the gas stations owner is going to have a significant level of anti-theft protection on their gas locks so they probably won't be using a lock that can be quickly defeated by the power stored in a few battery packs for a electric drill.
You might be better off knowing which gas stations have their fuel tanks above ground, but even there getting past the anti-theft measures on the tank and putting a SAFE hole in the fuel lines without a key is probably going to be about as dangerous.
Now lets look at another industry most every one relies on.
Tell me have you noticed the empty spots or thinly "fronted" sections on modern grocery store shelves?
It occurs fairly often today in 2016, but it was a relatively rare occurance back in the early 80's because every store was forced to keep a small warehouse behind or near the store front holding what they sell to keep from running out and having to wait several days or even a few weeks until the next shipment.
This was the 3 to 5 days of food and gave most any city or town several days worth of food and other products already prepositioned within the city limits if the shipments stopped.
Sadly that is no longer true today, instead take a look at that often thin row of cans or other packages "fronting" the large empty shelves in most grocery stores, that thin layer is all the food you and your city or town will have if the national power grid fails.
If you want to blame something for that tiny layer between us and food riots a lot of blame can be laid at the feet of the concept of JIT or Just In Time deliver, which uses past purchases and economic models created from past records on computers to predict consumption and a stores future needs so the store doesn't have to pay the expense of having a ware house behind every store.
You can't really fully blame the Grocery stores or the other stores, much of what has made the "Just In Time economy" such a desired method of doing business is the passing of countless laws at the town, city, county, state and federal levels that seem almost taylor made to discourage a grocery store and most any type of business or company from having local stockpile of anything.
The Just In Time concept is also applied to the electrical companies as  well and again like the grocery stores you can't really blame them because most are heavily encouraged by state and federal taxes to keep only the bare minimum of spare parts in local storage.
---------------------------
Why did I post this here?
First I wanted to warn this site's members about something that in my opinion has become very very likely to happen in the near future.
During my university days I was told many times to always write with the targeted audience in mind.
So to help me order my thoughts and try to keep it down from a EE level I used this site's members as my targeted audience.
Did I succeed?
Why is it in the political and other fun section?
Because almost any time I mention any part of the above it seems to generate very strong reactions.
HDM 

I've been picking up bit and pieces of this for awhile and some of that is happening down here. I don't know if our grid has it's redundancies ripped out to the same degree but it does have some known vulnerabilities - attack the coal mine, power plant stops. Though I think the media's been down playing it and tying it to the Preppers.

As for food supplies, it's a case of ouch due to the storage variability of each supermarket down here. Typically they have enough space in the back to store the content of two 40 foot trailers, but there's many that can't. However they're not fussed as they typically get a number of such trucks turning up a day to keep stock levels up. Which is fine for those nearby the distribution centers but with our remote areas, a daily delivery becomes impractical for anything not able to be sourced locally (bakery, dairy, meat) and those no doubt hold a few days supply (I've been in the back of a supermarket in Alice Springs and they had pallets & cages everywhere + 40 foot container loads in the loading dock). Now for the power side of things, not all supermarkets and shopping centers have generators and those that do I've no clue of their fuel reserves, nor if the output is enough to keep the store operating. Some of the ones I've seen barely seem capable of keeping the freezers running (i4 ~1.4-2L).

Have you considered making a TED talk or dare I say DEFCON lecture on this topic?

--Rod.H

Living in hurricane country like I do I have redundancy already as well as a couple of "oh shit" bags and food supplies. Honestly though I do need to replace our generator.

I live in Texas. 'Nuff said.

ROD H thanks, I'd never heard of TED talk before.
I believe DEFCON has had a few mentions of the problems with "smart" meters and to a lesser extent the problem with making a industrial machine with hardwire passwords internet aware.
Those generators sound rather small, they are probably planning to switch it between the various freezers keeping them from defrosting.
Fuel reserves are probably 2 or 3 days at most for those little units, unless the store has a private fuel pump and storage tank setup for company vehicles.
In the past 8 to 10 years here in the US changes to fuel blends of both gas and Diesel has made these fuels very unstable, at least in terms of storage and to add to the problem government mandated changes to gas jugs also causes any fuel stored in them to degrade even faster.(Many problems small gas engines have is the fuel for them going bad before it's used.)
Most of the advice I've seen says you need to rotate emergency fuel stored in plastic jugs every 60 days or so, if you can get metal jugs and add something like Sta-Bil to your emergency fuel it should last a minimum of 6 months.  Most say you can safely get 12 months if you keep the fuel in metal jugs in a building with a stable temperature.
Also remember here in the United States a recent Executive Order limits how much fuel you can store. 
Individual redundancy is good, but for most of American citizens you only have the resources to have a few days or at most a week or so.
If the power grid goes down nation wide we are talking about months where water, food and transportation for these essentials will drop to late 18th century methods and remain at those levels for months or in the worst cases remain near that level for years.
Thre are all sorts of catch 22's that will make it very hard to restart our nation's life support and economy once the national power grid is shut down for any length of time.
On the individual level extra canned food and Bicycle with a 12 volt pedal or solar powered battery head light is probably a more essential long term survival tool than buying extra fuel for a personal generator.
Another very good way to build redundancy into personal life support is to get with a local group or organization, from my personal bias as a Christian I'd suggest finding a small local church and get to know the people that attend it. Another bias I'll suggest is find a local HAM radio club, with them you have access to technicians and long range communication. Another good suggestion is any local boyscout or girlscout troops.
Just as your encouraged to have a plan in case of fire, have a plan, it's more than local towns and cities around here have. I've mentioned the fragile non redundant nature of the power grid to a few local town officials and most all didn't want to talk about it or "waste" any time planning or preparing, after all a 100 years ago we lived without a national power grid.
I rather suspect that if the power grid fails within a week the local criminal gangs will be better organized and reacting better than the local police and city councils will be reacting to all the life threatening problems thier citizens are suddenly facing.
HDM

hmelton Wrote:...
Just as your encouraged to have a plan in case of fire, have a plan, it's more than local towns and cities around here have. I've mentioned the fragile non redundant nature of the power grid to a few local town officials and most all didn't want to talk about it or "waste" any time planning or preparing, after all a 100 years ago we lived without a national power grid.
I guess I'm lucky, then - all three levels of government here have at least some sort of emergency preparedness plan, and have made checklists available online for individual use.
Me? I've got a day's worth of distilled water, at least half a tank of gas, a fully-charged backup cellphone battery, a hand-operated can opener, canned food that I can eat without cooking it, and a crank-operated radio - enough to get out of town and across the provincial border (and into a separate power grid) if necessary. Not much of a plan, but better than what a lot of folks have.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
A little longer term
Those Canadian plans are good, but they seemed geared for the short term(few weeks) surviving till help arrives. The sad thing about the power grid failing is that there isn't likely to be any help for months or even if the failure is only limited to say 50 percent.

If your planning on moving to safety after a failure I'd suggest buying a cheap 40 Channel CB radio and a magnet mount antenna with coax and maybe a 3 watt 12 volt solar panel wrap the radio and solar panel in several plastic bags and set them in a metal box.(Make sure the radio's power cord has a plug for your vehicle's power point.)

I'd also recommend you include enough parts to make it easy to take any 12 volt battery and connect the radio to it without needing a battery on a car.

Any 12 volt battery and a flat metal surface with a little work will let you set up the CB radio above and talk to local CB's and also be very likely to hear "skip" from coast to coast.

I'd suggest having a CB and Magnet mount antenna for every vehicle your family may use when trying to travel. Plug them into the vehicles 12 volt power point run the coax out a open window and stick the magnet on the roof.

Also remember that during any sort of failure the general chaos is probably going to reduce your vehicles range by at least 50% so you need to take that into account if you plan on moving to safety.

I mentioned the plastic wrapped radio in a metal box above, that was from something I've seen recommended as a cheap easy idea for the police and fire departments to have stuck back in case of a EMP nuclear device was detonated. The idea was to have cheap working 2 way radios for the working vehicles..

Think all modern vehicles, especially all the modern computer controlled cars have no chance of working after a EMP attack?

Read the article at the link below for some ideas how a modern vehicle might react to a EMP.

http://www.futurescience.com/emp/vehicles.html

At the very least, If a EMP stopped your car it's worth pulling your battery cable and waiting 5 to 60 minutes, the article says it only needs to be disconnected for a moment, but my personal experience with computers both on 12 volt and 120 volt system power systems is that a momentary disconnect usually isn't enough to fully clear the computer, especially if it was disrupted by something as powerful as say a nearby lightning strike.

I read through the Canadian list and they are good, but seems a little biased by "politically correctness" I'd suggest adding a hatchet and a folding blade wood saw. I'd also recommend a couple large(11 inch or greater) Fresnel lens magnifiers, a couple of small(50 to 80 pound) crossbow pistols and several extra strings for them.

Even if you have a hunting bow and firearms a squirrel or rabbit won't be worth a bullet let alone the 3 or 4 it's likely to take most people, but using 3 or 4 cut down wooden dowels or whittled out branches wouldn't be a bad price for a squirrel or rabbit and the noise won't attract nearly as much attention.

HDM
Edited to hopefully remove wall of text problem. Every time I check a post it turns my message into a wall of text..

The last time I looked, crossbow pistols were illegal to own in Canada. Other than that, good suggestions as long as you know how to use the gear.
--
Rob Kelk

crossbows illegal? The Canadians are still in the middle ages?
I thought it was only American politicians who never seemed to study history, talk about spitting into the wind,. the tools and parts needed for making a crossbow are trivial to the point that most peasants of the middle ages could produce crossbows that had most every King, Pope and robber baron wringing their hands in worry and declaring it's use caused everything from sterility to the crossbow user becoming a soulless monster.
Joking aside since they have outlawed the crossbow pistol in Canada I'd suggest buying a couple of sling shots. The only reason I didn't suggest a slingshot the first time is because the rubber bands or tubes commonly used have a relatively short shelf life. My dad back in the 1950's uses to cut up old inner tubes and make his own sling shots, since then they have changed the "rubber" used in tire tubes and it's a lot harder to get the right kind of material for a good "bean flip". In the 1970's I had a store bought "Wrist Rocket" with the tube rubber bands, which for me lasted at most a year or so before becoming so brittle I'd have to buy replacements.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slingshot
Advice: I quickly come to prefer the Slingshots with the fold down wrist support, carefully selected rocks make for nearly limitless practice ammo and work surprisingly well, never forget how close the projectile is to your hand.(I'll also STRONGLY suggest that you NEVER EVERY try to shoot number 2 pencil from a Wrist Rocket.).
Now for what made me think to check this thread again.
The other day I was going through a local dollar store and come across some black plastic solar powered LED "garden walk stake lights". Initially I paid the dollar each for several just to get the little solar panel on top. I disassemble a couple and was impressed by what I found.
The triple A nicad I found in mine is cheap cheap cheap, but the rest of the circuit components and solar panel are well worth the dollar and with just a few modifications it's components can have many uses.
By the way even if  you don't want it for parts or walkway lighting  I'd recommend buying a half dozen(especially when their a dollar) and sticking them in a sunny location or a especially sunny window, just for the emergency lighting and battery charging capability they would provide in a power failure.
After playing with a couple of these for a while I did a internet search to see what other hackers were doing with the little things and  unexpectedly come across this article about the dangers in the power grid from December of 2015.(I think it does a better job than my initial post.)
http://www.thesleuthjournal.com/iran-is ... st-attack/
By the way I didn't have the idea of using these "solar walkway lights" for emergency lighting and battery recharge the above article mentions them as part of the emergency supplies to have on hand.
hmelton

Quote:crossbows illegal? The Canadians are still in the middle ages?
What purpose does a crossbow pistol have other than to kill someone?

(Yes, the law was a "we have to do something, this is something, therefore we have to do this" reaction to somebody using a crossbow pistol to murder someone.)
--
Rob Kelk

"Lights Out" By Koppel, Busy, wave of malware, crossbow
First "Lights Out" by Ted Koppel 
Came out in October, I usually look for paper backs or hard backs in good will or used books stores so I've not read it yet, but he talks about how vulnerable the power grid is to cyber attack. Here is a Amazon link with many reviewers that have read it.
http://www.amazon.com/Lights-Out-Cybera ... Z6AKR2VYED
Sorry for taking so long to reply, what I thought was going to be a slow period has instead been a busy period, between farming, radio tech work and a malware surge.
Now a warning  carefully check your Email!
In the past 2 or 3  weeks I've had a huge upswing in malware laden email messages that use different types of attacks mostly contained in an attached zip file, but I've run across a few emails trying to get me to a poisoned webpage that "NEEDS" me to turn on FLASH, JAVA and HTML Scripting to be able to down load a "IMPORTANT" document, which is usually zipped.
You know it's sad how many virus and malware checking systems are still fooled by simply zipping a file.
It might just be local problem, due to a nearby school having essentially every computer at the school compromised along with several of the off campus computers used by teachers and students.  The first hint was in the first week of March when emails started showing up with a local schools entire email data base embedded in the email message.  Now it's reached the stage of waves of mostly crude and mostly automated  attempts at email spear fishing, it looks like these emails are using information pulled from the local school computers.
Now back to our thread
Crossbow pistols only good for killing?
I can't agree with that, I know several people who keep a pistol crossbow so they can use rubber or blunt bolts to drive dogs off their property because such projectile usually won't kill and they reduce the risk to the farm animals and damage to surrounding farm equipment.  The phone techs around here used to keep a pistol crossbow for firing a dart with an attached drag line that would then let them pull wires through pipes or across water or obstructions and many HAM radio operators have a crossbow pistol they use to fire a drag line over building for running wires for antennas. There is also many target practice style games that use a crossbow pistol that besides being fun will also give the person a feel a handgun without the noise or longer range danger of using a firearm.
Personally I think outlawing crossbow pistols is about as useless as outlawing knives. Nearly anyone could literally build a crossbow in less than half a day, take a 2 by 4 board, an old leaf spring, some wire and 2 or 3 hours of work with common house hold tools would give you a crossbow that would be more lethal than most crossbow pistols, true it's not the size of a crossbow pistol, but give me a set of good wood working tools and a couple of days and I could turn out a crossbow pistol version.