Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brexit Bregret
Brexit Bregret
Few questions to our brethren across the pond:
Why did the Brexit leaders did not have a plan after the vote? It seems they're not that eager to leave after all. Do they really say to the rest of the EU "Nah, just kidding?" and what happens when Scotland decided to stay in the EU and declares independence? What happens to Northern Ireland?
I'd say the Brexit voters (and leaders) were idiots for puting this into motion w/o looking at the fine print, but the GOP nominated Trump. Stupid is as stupid does.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Here's a good article on the subject by British author Christopher Nutall: http://chrishanger.wordpress.com/2016/ ... stupidity/

If the UK's government works anything like that of the US, I expect that they'll either ignore the vote or keep holding referendums until they get the answer they want. For the moment, though, it's enormously satisfying to hear the shrieks of outrage from the ruling class because the peasants dared to defy them.

Because the only political leader who supported brexit was Farage, who's plan was "second star to the left and straight on until morning" and didn't have a significant number of elected MPs.
The significant political leaders were all remain, although Corbyn was more interested in watching the conservitive party fight itself than worrying about the well being of the country.

Speaking as someone that's been watching from the outside and is likely missing details, it looks like a lot of the Leave campaigners, especially Boris Johnson, were using it for political points, and may not even have expected to even win. And even if they did win, more than a few campaign leaders aren't even in any official position of power. So they could just go 'see, we were right!' while dropping it in the governments lap to actually work it out. All the gain, none of the work.

And then David Cameron went 'right, fuck you' and resigned, promptly dropping Boris right in the line of fire. And he's made a career about of being all noise and sleeze, and no actual results, so at this point he's shit several pairs of pants.

Is there a reason we have two threads going for this topic?

http://drunkardswalkforums.yuku.com/topic/11566
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Rob, because it actually belongs here not up in general chatter

I should move it; that thread started as a humorous item about something else happening the same day and I hijacked it.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

In fairness, 2 threads are appropriate for getting dumped out of Europe twice in one weekend.