Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You're a politician and you've been asked questions you don't like? Suck It Up, Buttercup.
You're a politician and you've been asked questions you don't like? Suck It Up, Buttercup.
Iowa Representative Bobby Kaufmann was interviewed on As It Happens today, about his proposed "Suck It Up, Buttercup" law. After being asked "who are the buttercups that need to suck it up?", "where have you seen the coddling on campuses?", and "I'm not asking you to name names — just where did it happen?", he hung up. When he was called back (because dropped lines do happen), he said, "I don't speak to media outlets with an agenda."

Asking for specifics is not "an agenda". It's a sign that you are being taken seriously and an invitation to make your own case more solid.

Hanging up in the middle of an interview is a sign that you no longer desire to be taken seriously by the interviewer, or the interviewer's audience. In this case, the audience is an entire country.

Oh, and hanging up on As It Happens means the entire interview, including the final dial tone, is aired to show that the program is not quoting the interviewee out-of-context. They always do that. So... http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as- ... -1.3853530]listen to the interview here and make up your own mind.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Gods, what a hypocrite. Almost like he doesn't understand that there are winners and losers, and now that his side won, the other side gets to whine about the country "being destroyed" just like his side did for the last eight years.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
"Being told to be 'open minded' about something is usually a code for 'you're not going to like this, but I want to subject you to it anyway'. Conversely, being told that you are 'closed-minded' is generally a means of asserting that 'I don't like the fact that you're proving me wrong, so I will pretend that your failure to agree with my argument is a philosophical deficiency'." - RationalWiki