Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It took all of a week, but the true colours are starting to show.
It took all of a week, but the true colours are starting to show.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/18/us/po ... istry.html

"I'm not saying I agree with it, but...."

"If that means having people that're not protected under our constitution having some sort of registry...."

Registration.
Segregation.
Reservation.
Concentration.
Extermination.

It's the alt-right's five goose-step program.

Is it too early to start organizing the Resistance and the new Underground Railroad?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Kobach, my God. The author of self deportation. The originator of the alabama anti immigration law that was 1 step away from the Nuremburg laws.
The new Trump motto " MAKE AMERICA WHITE AGAIN!"
And Dartz, you're right. the next step is to require Muslims to wear the Crest of Islam.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Is it too early to start organizing the Resistance and the new Underground Railroad?
It's never too early to stand up for your neighbors' rights.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

True that.

Especially when Trump and his buddies are trotting out the most shameful moments in American history while saying, "That was awesome! Let's do that again!"
-- Bob
---------

There's a modest degree of push-back already cited in the Times article.
Quote:The official Twitter account of the Anti-Defamation League posted a statement from its chief executive, Jonathan Greenblatt, saying that “if one day Muslims will be forced to register, that is the day that this proud Jew will register as a Muslim.”
Of course, talk is easy when nobody's registering anyone yet.  Still, it's promising.  But given the views of some of Trump's supporters, they'd likely tell Mr. Greenblatt, "Oh, we've got another registry for your kind...."
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

And I guess Jeff Sessions is going to be Attorney General.  Just a quick reminder, in 1986 he was considered too racist and opposed to voting rights to be confirmed to the federal bench.  His nomination was killed in committee by a Republican majority.  As a sitting U.S. Senator, he is expected to be confirmed easily this time.
-- ∇×V

You know, I'm going to go ahead and throw a proverbial spanner in the works for all you out there that are already panicking. What it said was immediate immigrants from Muslim countries with a history of terrorism.

You do realize that the government already has this information and all they have to do is collate it. It's not like they didn't already know.

Obligatory Picard.

Dartz Wrote:Obligatory Picard.
Ah, yes - from the "are you now or have you ever been a communist Romulan?" episode.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarthyism
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:Rajvik wrote:
You know, I'm going to go ahead and throw a proverbial spanner in the works for all you out there that are already panicking. What it said was immediate immigrants from Muslim countries with a history of terrorism.

You do realize that the government already has this information and all they have to do is collate it. It's not like they didn't already know.
Funny, the Nuremberg laws started that way also. Identify the undesirables among us. So when you're done with one group, why not add another? The Pottery Barn law applies here. you break it, you own it. But you already said that you'd own what ever this administration may or may not do, so don't get mad.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

(blows dust off thread)

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Is it too early to start organizing the Resistance and the new Underground Railroad?

Apparently not. At least 270 people have already walked to Canada, and that's at one stretch of usually-unpatrolled border (but it's patrolled now - by people trained to recognize signs of frostbite). There were 22 people across that stretch of border last weekend alone.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... -1.3969874

Thing is, according to a pact (read: treaty) that's described in that article, we're supposed to send all of those people back to the USA. I don't know whether that's going to happen now.
--
Rob Kelk

If any of those people are the Hollywood celebrities who promised to move to Canada if Trump was elected, please keep them.

Quote:robkelk wrote:
Quote:Dartz wrote:
Obligatory Picard.
Ah, yes - from the "are you now or have you ever been a communist Romulan?" episode.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarthyism
Fun story: My grandfather was a nuclear engineer for the US Navy during that period.
At one point he was forced to move rather suddenly when he discovered that the raucous parties his landlord was throwing on a regular basis were actually meetings of the local Communist Party.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Quote:khagler wrote:
If any of those people are the Hollywood celebrities who promised to move to Canada if Trump was elected, please keep them.
... Why do you keep saying shit like that?  It's already been made clear that commentary like that isn't welcome.  There's people out there that are risking their lives because the thought of living in Trump's America is just that frightening to them, and honestly I can't blame them.
If I'm not being clear enough, let me spell it out for you: Trump is fucking scaring people.  People who shouldn't ever have cause to be scared.  But they're scared anyhow.  Tell me why this is not an issue?

Well, that's because liberty is a liberal conspiracy. Didn't you know? There wasn't really a Constitution before 1877, it was foisted on the country by a vast left-wing conspiracy (the same ones who deprived good honest white men of their slaves), who then falsified history to make it seem like the Revolutionary War was about individual freedom instead of keeping England from taking the Founding Fathers' money from them, that George Washington wasn't a god-emperor who ruled this continent with an iron hand and a full purse until he died and his hand-picked heir took over, and that the government never had a right and duty to execute dissidents in the street for speaking unapproved opinions. You can tell, because "liberty" and "liberal" both start with "lib".

(I give it a week before that's the new alt-right "common knowledge".)
-- Bob
---------

Most celebrities that made those claims wouldn't need to walk the border. They're more likely to have the resources to move anyway. That said, what do we know about the people that have made the trip? Are we talking about minorities that feel they're at risk, lower income individuals, or something similar?

Matrix Dragon Wrote:... That said, what do we know about the people that have made the trip? Are we talking about minorities that feel they're at risk, lower income individuals, or something similar?
Here's a story about two of those people - the only personal story I can find in a quick search, as opposed to stories about statistics. They sought refugee status in the USA, were denied, but had not yet been sent back to Somalia. They were so afraid that the Trump administration would send them back to a war zone that they walked across the border to Canada - losing their fingers to frostbite in the process.
http:////www.bbc.com/news/av/embed

So, at least in this case, it's "huddled masses yearning to breathe free" who are making the trip.

EDIT: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/index.asp, and thus do not need to cross the border illegally.
--
Rob Kelk

God damn, those poor bastards. That's desperation to a truly frightening level. Although my question was referring to American citizens, I suppose it's almost as worrying that would-be refugees don't consider it a safe haven any more. Although I suppose there's an argument to be made for their refugee status already being denied, but that's a whole other can of worms again.

Does anyone have a recording of Ronald Reagan, or a close imitation thereof, saying the word 'Trump'? I need it for a quickie video project.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

ECSNorway Wrote:Does anyone have a recording of Ronald Reagan, or a close imitation thereof, saying the word 'Trump'? I need it for a quickie video project.
Don't have one myself, but don't forget that he was in a lot of movies before going into politics.
--
Rob Kelk

And proving the Left Coast isn't all lefties, we have Representative Rohrabacher (R-CA), saying "town hall" meetings, or at least those who call for them, are anti-democratic.  
Quote:According to Mike Lisenbery, one of the organizers of the Indivisible group, the group visiting Rohrabacher’s office was predominantly composed of older retired women. This account is born out in photographs of the group. The video shows that there were about 10 people in the hallway.

In his press release, however, Rohrabacher paints the incident as malicious and characterizes the activists as an unruly mob of thugs.

“I am outraged beyond words that protesters who mobbed my Huntington Beach office violently knocked down my faithful district director, Kathleen Staunton, causing her to be hospitalized,” Rohrabacher is quoted by saying.

The "violence" started when one of the staff inside opened a door and it hit a two-year-old girl in the head.  She was sliding a valentine under the door.  Note that there are security cameras showing the hallway to anyone in the office.  Bad timing on opening that door.  Rohrabacher barely mentions the little girl, and ignores the circumstances of how she got hit.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

I know most politicians will jump at any chance to demonise and discredit any organisation that disagrees with them, but that's one of the most pathetic, and rather compatible, attempts to do so I've seen in a while.

Do  you mean "contemptible"?

Auto-correct at work, although Bullshit and politicians are rather compatible Smile