Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The climate change reckoning
The climate change reckoning
The reckoning has been already on going
Which is why I'm skeptical about beach front property now. The catch-22 is that to maintain the infrastructure in cities like Miami, you need an increasing tax base. The best way to that is to build on the most expensive property. Which is on the beach. Far that you need an increasing tax base. So the cycle keeps on going until the city gets swallowed out by the ocean. Because with inertia built into the climate, even if we stop pumping Co2 into the atmosphere, you're looking at century of sea rise. Which comes to a conservative estimate of 6 feet. And with the GOP in collective denial about global warming, well expect it to come faster.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

The GOP will eventually have to change their minds. Maintaining beaches is getting to be more and more expensive, and the owners of such properties tend to be Republicans. If the wealthiest Republicans have to blow half their fortunes on maintaining beach fronts, they'll certainly make themselves heard in the most effective way possible.

Their cheque books.

Meanwhile, I'll simply sit up here in San Antonio and await the day that a good portion of Brownsville, Corpus Christi, Port Aransas, and maybe a bit of Houston all get swallowed by the Gulf. It will be that much more of Texas that will start voting Democrat once it happens.

(I'm not terribly worried about Padre Island. It's a sandbar island so it'll simply wind up migrating relative to the new coast line.)

Quote:Black Aeronaut wrote:
The GOP will eventually have to change their minds. Maintaining beaches is getting to be more and more expensive, and the owners of such properties tend to be Republicans. If the wealthiest Republicans have to blow half their fortunes on maintaining beach fronts, they'll certainly make themselves heard in the most effective way possible.

Their cheque books.

Meanwhile, I'll simply sit up here in San Antonio and await the day that a good portion of Brownsville, Corpus Christi, Port Aransas, and maybe a bit of Houston all get swallowed by the Gulf. It will be that much more of Texas that will start voting Democrat once it happens.

(I'm not terribly worried about Padre Island. It's a sandbar island so it'll simply wind up migrating relative to the new coast line.)
Any residential or commercial property in Padre Island no one is gonna miss? Btw BA you do know that it applies to all waterfront property? Including the San Antonio Riverwalk? Which is why I noted the smart ones in Alabama's Gulf Coast had built their beachfront houses on stilts 10 ft. high. of course they opened up riverfront property here in D.C also. Any river system that drains to the ocean will also see a rise in water levels.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

... San Antonio is at about 500-600ft in elevation above sea level. I think we're reasonably safe here, barring a meteor impact in the Gulf. :p
EDIT:
Also, about the entire southern-half of Padre Island is a Federal Park.  The northern half is owned by resorts.

Trust me, I know that Texas has a fuckton of gulf-coastal property which is only outdone by Florida.  And people often forget that!