Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump news the third

Well, I suppose this was to be expected:

[img]http://timedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2016/12/cover-final.jpg?w=280&quality=85&h=373">
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Yay....more ego striking.

Btw....Behold the new Oscar Zoroaster Phadrig Isaac Norman Henkle Emmannuel Ambroise Diggs
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Quote:ordnance11 wrote:
Quote:Black Aeronaut wrote:
You think that as a General he never had to deal with things like budgets? That's half of a general's job, believe it or not. A general isn't just someone who makes and carries out a plan of action, they also have to mind the finances and they usually have a small cadre of people helping him to mind the books. Take it from someone who's worked the Captain's Wardroom - the budget is always something that's simmering away on any CO's back burner.

As I mentioned before, General Mattis is a warrior first and foremost. I'd put good money on him taking one good long look at that report and it would not be long before he starts weighing the pros and cons; and his primary goal is going to be more money for troops, marines, sailors and airmen, and the equipment they need.

And he'll definitely fight for the welfare of the enlisted men - the man enlisted before becoming a commissioned officer.

Yep, that's right. Mad Dog is a Mustang, and I think he's got very little patience for bullshit.
Peterson's Law applies to him as well as everyone else. And he will be fighting a 2 front war. Against the 4th estate at the Pentagon and trying to rein in the soon to be POTUS. So it's gonna be a question of how effective is he going to be and how long is he going to last at the job. You have a better chance of turning a Sodak BB inside 300 ft. than turning around a bureaucracy in 4 years. We'll see in 4 years.
Oh, Trump is gonna make his job difficult to be sure.  He's going to demand unreasonable things of Mattis, and when Mattis can't deliver (especially if Mattis says 'No can do!') Trump will do what he can to make it look like it's all his fault.  It is, after all, what he does - shift the blame and try to spin things in his favor.
Rob: I've been keeping my radio tuned to NPR lately just to keep tabs on things.  Funny thing they remarked on: Time Magazine also listed Hitler as 'Man of the Year'... right before war in Europe broke out.  Also, you might wanna fix that image URL if possible - I have no idea what it's trying to do.

ordnance11: That comes as absolutely no surprise to me.  Even better yet is Trump trying to strong-arm Boeing.  Crony Capitalism?  Looks like it to me.  I wonder how much Trump is gonna look like Boss Tweed by the end of his first term.

Does the link not work outside of Canada? (goes and changes it for the link on TIME's website) That might be better.
--
Rob Kelk

Okay, is Trump forming a government of Goldman Sachs and Generals? Or is he forming a junta? It's fueling my suspicion that we will eventually get into a gratuitous war. Because you have a thin skinned POTUS with no control with a group of professional soldiers who have the Pavlovian reflex of obedience to superiors as his underlings.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

And people wonder why we're worried. Tongue

I wonder if folks like Logan are fine to getting into another conflict when the other 2 are still ongoing? I supposed so or they don't care. *shrug* 

From Garrison Keiler : “Voters in high dudgeon against Wall Street manipulators and the Washington aristocracy vote for the billionaire populist who puts tycoons in power.... If Billy the Kid had been smart, he’d’ve run for sheriff."

And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Haha..... The Horns of the M.

Once you see it, you can't unsee it.

Quote:Dartz wrote:
Haha..... The Horns of the M.

Once you see it, you can't unsee it.
Oh boy, now that you mentioned it. Think they did it deliberately?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Someone did. And no doubt someone reasonably high-up in the food chain over at Time Magazine is hearing about it, too. Big Grin

Not to mention the "Divided States of America."  
CBS has already quoted somebody unnamed at Time saying the "horns" were "entirely coincidental," and have happened to at least 35 other people, including Slick Willie in '98 and Pope Francis in 2013.  They didn't dare claim "Divided States" was a typo....
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

And Trump decided his gonna remain the producer of his TV show.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Nowadays, "producer" can mean as little as "this guy came up with the idea and slips us a few bucks every so often".
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:robkelk wrote:
Nowadays, "producer" can mean as little as "this guy came up with the idea and slips us a few bucks every so often".
It's called conflict of interest ,Rob. Just about every federal ethic rules discourage even the appearance of it. It's beginning to look like a different set of rules apply to the soon POTUS and his cronies. I.E what rules? If he's not willing to follow the small things, what makes you sure he'll follow he rules and guidelines when it impacts him greatly? I would not be too surprised if a Watergate style scandal erupts sooner or later. The warning signs are already there.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

The problem there is that the Republicans would rather see the country go down in flames than impeach one of their own. So a scandal may well erupt, but you can rest assured that Trump will never be called to task for it. Impeachments are only for Democrats, for the crime of being a Democrat, after all.

To clarify for our conservative board members: I expect both sides to be corrupt to one degree or another. But over the past thirty years I have come to expect the Republicans to be crass, obvious and gloating about it, as if it became a virtue because they are Republicans.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
The problem there is that the Republicans would rather see the country go down in flames than impeach one of their own. So a scandal may well erupt, but you can rest assured that Trump will never be called to task for it. Impeachments are only for Democrats, for the crime of being a Democrat, after all.

To clarify for our conservative board members: I expect both sides to be corrupt to one degree or another. But over the past thirty years I have come to expect the Republicans to be crass, obvious and gloating about it, as if it became a virtue because they are Republicans.
The conservative members should not be too surprised if they get called out for the corrupt shenanigans. What goes around comes around after all. What is disconcerting is the wholesale amnesia of what happened during the Bush 2 administration. I'll give odds the same thing will happen again. Obama is going to look like a saint next to Trump.
Edit: Someone mentioned Trump's nominations to head the  EPA and DOL is like appointing an arsonist to head the fire department.

And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

What's the surprise? It's a standard Republican tactic. Remember James "We don't have to preserve the earth; Jesus is coming back next year!" Watt in charge of the Dept. of the Interior?
-- Bob
---------

So it's back to governing philosophy according to which century again? So your cronies ( and most of these appointments came from people who donated a lot of money to Trump's campaign) are going to come in, use their power and influence to make themselves, families and friends a crapton of money and while wrecking the country in process?
I really hope that Trump's supporters doesn't use the excuse that the Russians gulled them when this is all over and done.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Obama a saint? Hah. Trump is Gonna make Bush II look like a saint!

Quote:Black Aeronaut wrote:
Obama a saint? Hah. Trump is Gonna make Bush II look like a saint!
Ain't that a cheery thought. Well, I'm going to turn off the TV on Jan 20. Good thing we are given time off on that day.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

The Purging of the heretics is beginning!

Begone foul believers in climate change!

Since this is the internet - I'm being sarcastic. Climate change is real and shooting the messengers because you don't like the message is just going to blow up in your face (unfortunately, the rest of us will get caught in the collateral damage).
If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?
- Albert Einstein
Meanwhile...
[Image: 3c53670e1d7242bba1c202fde9710442bc76d4ec.png]
-- Bob
---------

That's right.  Leave Donald alone!  Leave him alone, you lügenpresse.  Ugh.
In terms of the "draining the swamp", how about we instead let the Wizard of Trump welcome you to Mnuchinland:
Goldman Sachs to Extend Its Reach in Trump Administration
Quote:“I know the guys at Goldman Sachs,” Mr. Trump said at one primary
debate. “They have total, total control” over Mr. Cruz, he said. “Just
like they have total control over Hillary Clinton.”
So now we have Goldman alumni Bannon, Mnuchin, and Cohn in the cabinet meetings.  And DeVos is a billionaire.
President George III was at least a good man who was just not quite smart enough to realize that he had surrounded himself with bad men.  By 2007 or so Bush had stopped talking to Cheney, but of course by then the damage had been done.  But Trump, he's the kind of person who has to lie to breathe.  As the tools of Erfworld would say, Trump is a Titans-disbanded Carny.
So like a carny or any other stage magician, we need to stop talking about his Twitter.  That's what he wants us to focus on.  Focus on the real actions of the administration, like the climate truther going to run the EPA -- not the Al Gore distraction the day before.  The tax break for Carrier that will cost $7 million for only 700 jobs -- temporarily as the company uses that free money to increase automation -- not the 1100 jobs he promised.  Everything he does has an element of misdirection, so we all need to get used to the fact that our president won't be one that tells us half-truths like we're used to.  He will be a constant liar.
-- ∇×V

Quote:vorticity wrote:
So like a carny or any other stage magician, we need to stop talking about his Twitter.  That's what he wants us to focus on.  Focus on the real actions of the administration, like the climate truther going to run the EPA -- not the Al Gore distraction the day before.  The tax break for Carrier that will cost $7 million for only 700 jobs -- temporarily as the company uses that free money to increase automation -- not the 1100 jobs he promised.  Everything he does has an element of misdirection, so we all need to get used to the fact that our president won't be one that tells us half-truths like we're used to.  He will be a constant liar.
Well, look to Congress where the real action is going to be. Laws enacted there will have an impact. in fact:
Latest GOP proposal for Social Security: Rob the poor and give to the rich
Also, The Kremlin's Man in the White House
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

vorticity Wrote:... So like a carny or any other stage magician, we need to stop talking about his Twitter.  That's what he wants us to focus on.  ...
Don't focus on it, but don't ignore it either.

CBC: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/trump-twit ... -1.3886455]It may be 'foolish' to ignore Trump's tweets, even when they look like 'fluff':
Quote:"It's different now. We're trying to discern the thoughts, the directions, the thinking of a president whose counsel is kept private," he says. "We have to read the tea leaves. This is another avenue into that, and it would be foolish and unwise for us to just ignore it."
--
Rob Kelk