Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump just blew apart the adminstrations Comey spin
Trump just blew apart the adminstrations Comey spin
The relevant information

What Trump said:
Here’s what Trump told NBC News’s Lester Holt (emphasis mine):
Quote:HOLT: Did you ask for a recommendation?
TRUMP: What I did is, I was going to fire Comey. My decision. It was not . . .
HOLT: You had made the decision before they came in the room.
TRUMP: I was going to fire Comey. There’s no good time to do it, by the way.
HOLT: Because in your letter, you said, ‘I accepted their recommendation.’ So you had already made the decision.
TRUMP: Oh, I was going to fire regardless of recommendation.
What Spicer said:

Quote:As Spicer tells it, Rosenstein was confirmed about two weeks ago and independently took on this issue so the president was not aware of the probe until he received a memo from Rosenstein on Tuesday, along with a letter from Attorney General Jeff Sessions recommending that Comey be fired. The president then swiftly decided to follow the recommendation, notifying the FBI via email around 5 p.m. and in a letter delivered to the FBI by the president’s longtime bodyguard. At the same time, the president personally called congressional leaders to let them know his decision. Comey learned the news from media reports.
“It was all him,” Spicer said of Rosenstein, as a reporter repeated his answer back to him. “That’s correct — I mean, I can’t, I guess I shouldn’t say that, thank you for the help on that one. No one from the White House. That was a DOJ decision.”
So Trump already made the decision before hand to fire Comey. He just needed a pretext. The reason is that the Russia probe is starting to heat up. The administration and Nunes already derailed the House investigation and this will slow down if not stymie the Senate investigation. And his statement that Comey told him three times Trump himself is not under investigation. Then you have Sessions breaking his agreement to recuse himself from the Russia probe.  
An explanation on why Sessions is in trouble
Edit: I'm going to watch CNN and see the Trump talking heads spin themselves. Should be interesting.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Well, I'm watching Wolf Blitzer.  The administration talking head (Sarah Huckabee Sanders) that the Russia probe will end with the removal of Comey. The FBI says otherwise. So far, no talking heads from the administration showed up.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Oh shit. Both Trump and Sessions in one swoop? That that's one hell of a thing!

The only thing I'd be worried about would be Mike Pence taking the reigns. I have no idea who he'd install in Session's place on the Supreme Court.

For that reason I hope that somehow Pence winds up getting linked in the Russia Probe scandal. But then that leaves Orrin Hatch and Paul Ryan, in that order, as the next successors.

Now I hope the Republicans drag their feet. Because if they do... Whoooooo, they're gonna have hell to pay.

(Think about it... if they wait until midterms to impeach and the House and Senate both swing Blue, then that means Democrat President Pro Tempur in the Senate and a Democrat Speaker of the House... Impeach Trump, Pence, and Sessions then? We get Democrats in the Whitehouse again, with an open slot in the Supreme Court to fill, and the Democrats will be in charge of the Legislative branch... Hell of an upset for the Republicans.)

Quote:Black Aeronaut wrote:

The only thing I'd be worried about would be Mike Pence taking the reigns. I have no idea who he'd install in Session's place on the Supreme Court.

For that reason I hope that somehow Pence winds up getting linked in the Russia Probe scandal. But then that leaves Orrin Hatch and Paul Ryan, in that order, as the next successors.

Now I hope the Republicans drag their feet. Because if they do... Whoooooo, they're gonna have hell to pay.

(Think about it... if they wait until midterms to impeach and the House and Senate both swing Blue, then that means Democrat President Pro Tempur in the Senate and a Democrat Speaker of the House... Impeach Trump, Pence, and Sessions then? We get Democrats in the Whitehouse again, with an open slot in the Supreme Court to fill, and the Democrats will be in charge of the Legislative branch... Hell of an upset for the Republicans.)
So far I'm not impressed with Pence. This is twice in a row he was used as a talking dummy.
BA, you know the GOP sees Trump as a once in a lifetime opportunity to pass their agenda, whether the general public likes it or not. Look at McConnell and Ryan. They've been defending Trump since Day 1 of his administration. They're probably thinking there's still time after till the mid-term  to turn the narrative around.   Seeing the angry constituents in town hall meetings, I doubt it. Your locals might not care about Russian meddling, but they do care about their health benefits being yanked.

And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

BA, it seems you're confusing Attorney General Sessions with Supreme Court Justice Gorsuch.  I know of no criminal charges even contemplated against Gorsuch.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Quote:DHBirr wrote:

BA, it seems you're confusing Attorney General Sessions with Supreme Court Justice Gorsuch.  I know of no criminal charges even contemplated against Gorsuch.
I believe BA was thinking of Sessions as a Supreme court replacement for whatever justice decides to step down during Trump/Pence tenure. You may had noticed that's what the conservative's main hopes for imposing a conservative agenda. Have judges with a similar bent. That has been mooted.

And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell