Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
P.S.I. - PPD Special Investigations (New SG ^_^)
P.S.I. - PPD Special Investigations (New SG ^_^)
Greetings, folks!
Well, I don't normally do things like this, but I had to...
After barreling through the Brickstown Safeguard mission recently and noting the presence of PPD psi-cops, I was inspired.
(Yes, *another* alt - keep quiet in the back there! =P )
Ahem. Anyhow, I created my own psi-cop character, and after some playing around, the final version is a Mind/Kinetics controller named Lt. Psychokinetix. (Bio and picture to be posted later)
Now originally I tried to get her into the Legendary, but we appear to be full up there. Inspiration struck again, and I've got my own cop-themed SG now:
P.S.I. - PPD Special Investigations
And yes, the title is a bit of a pun, and a bit of a homage to C.S.I. I had to do it, honest! [Image: wink.gif]
Anyhow, if anyone has a cop or related theme-type character and wants to sign up, let me know. [Image: smile.gif]
Later!
Bert V.V.
skyknight@sentex.net
(P.S. - Hey Bob! Wanna set up an alliance? [Image: smile.gif] )
Re: P.S.I. - PPD Special Investigations (New SG ^_^)
Damnit, my Alt-itis is kicking in and I'm feeling the urge to make a police themed character.
Mmm... a powersuited Electric/Energy Blapper, just needs a name now.
-Edit-
A cadet of some new powersuited department whose name and acronym seems to playfully tease my brain without actually coming to my conscious mind for now.
Costume, Yukini-ish powersuit under a trenchcoat. And for some reason, my mind insist that she must be female. Is there a police like hat or will I have to use a fedora? Wait no, hero-ish mask that's a part of the squad's uniform.
And the suit and trenchcoat combo must look uniform-ish so the shiny new squad can be paraded around in PR stunts.
*brain keeps working, more later*
-Later-
Ok, the back story is shaping up nicely, I'd just like to know the official story of the SG so I don't go against it.
This sounds like my cue...
I've been hanging around for a bit, since Bob pointed me at The Legendary. But I haven't asked to join yet, being too occupied with playing around with alts and whatnot [Image: smile.gif] , plus things are looking full at the moment, heh.
Anyway, this new one you mention sounds RIGHT up the alley of McFixit, an alternate-reality combat engineer / medic who is used to working as a magical troubleshooter/special forces type... and he's desperately in need of a team; he's not the Ruggedly Independent Sort, but instead, more of a I'm On It, Sir type.
If you're interested in filling the ranks, and if he sounds like your type, let me know and I'll tell him to shine up his boots and go see the C.O. [Image: smile.gif]
(ETA: global @Sofaspud, I'm on Virtue on one alt or another most nights/weekends, west-coast time)

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs
Mmm... I have a question though, should my Alt's name just be her full name? Or should I tack on a rank first? And if I should put in a rank, what would the lowest police rank to be allowed on the streets be?
-Edit-
Well, here's my first draft, because I'm not sure if the Bio is actually clear.
-Name: Cadet Cates
-Battle cry: *squeaky stutter* You are under arrest!
Although the PPD has the equipment and manpower to deal with most super powered threats, the other police departments still have severe trouble keeping up with Villain.
Several attempts at augmenting police forces have been made, and the latest is the Heavy Urban Peacekeeping Exo-Skeleton. (HUPEX, referred to as HUPEXes when plural.)
Several prototypes have been built and, to demonstrate the ease of use, have been issued to policemen at all levels and departments, from Commissioner Morgan to Cadet Cates.
They were then sent to various large cities with large Villain problems and, although it was impossible to skip Paragon City due to its very public super powered crimes problem, it was felt that with the PPD and significant heroic presence, it was not really needed.
And so, Cadet Jennifer J. Cates was sent to Paragon City and ordered to demonstrate the projects efficiency. Being very inexperienced, Jennifer is far from comfortable with the amount of scrutiny she is under and her nervousness is the reason why the suits no longer have voice modification equipment. (Everyone was quite embarrassed the first time they heard her stuttered and squeaky You are under arrest. spoken with a deep Robocop-ish voice.)
(RP Notes: Whenever she is not alone, Jennifer is prone to fidgeting, checking that her suit is on right and several other signs of nervousness. The only reason she hasnt been bumped out of the project yet is that, when not in public, she actually does a pretty good job, just dont point a camera at her.)
-Another Edit-
img.photobucket.com/album...tCates.jpg
I don't know why, but I keep getting the feeling that the costume is a bit too Clich but, at the same time, that would be par for the course, it's a new and public project eagerly looking for approval. So I now put it on public display so that everyone else can tell me, am I right or wrong, and what are your recommendations?
Hello! [Image: smile.gif]
Well, the SG ranks are based mostly around 'Detective' at the moment - Detective being the lowest end. Because it's 'Special Investigations', everyone has to be at least that...hero or not, if you poke around a crime scene asking questions, they may politely tell you to get lost if you don't have a badge with the right credentials. [Image: smile.gif]
(I put the 'Lt.' in my character name because 'Psychokinetix' was taken already, and 'Psychekinetix' didn't sound quite right. [Image: smile.gif] )
The way I've got it right now is:
Division Commander
Division Captain
Detective Lt.
Detective Sergeant
Detective
I'll leave your character name up to you. Putting the rank in is optional, but if she registers that as her hero name, that's fine too. [Image: smile.gif]
As for the costume, I think that's fine. [Image: smile.gif] I'd maybe go with a deeper blue, but that's just my personal taste. [Image: smile.gif]
Welcome to the P.S.I.! ^_^ (Send me a tell the next time I'm on and I'll shoot you the SGinvite. [Image: happy.gif] )
Bert V.V.
skyknight@sentex.net
Hi Sofaspud!
Okay, it sounds like he'd fit in well. Every precinct needs a tech guy. [Image: smile.gif]
Drop me a tell the next time I'm online and I'll get him invited. [Image: smile.gif]
Later!
Bert V.V.
skyknight@sentex.net
@Northflayme
I got inspired so I made this toon.
Lt. Mark Adams PPDA
[Image: Lt.jpg]
He is assigned to PPD Armor Division, and will be testing
several armor designs.
I guess this is on Virtue, eh?
I like this idea quite a bit. Maybe I can bring myself to make another alt*smacks hands*. Who am I kidding, of course I can! I've been wanting to play a Mind/Kin. [Image: laugh.gif]
On Pinnacle, we have the SG PPI: Paragon Paranormal Investigations. More of a private eye and X-File-ish kind of organization, inspired by Karl Kolchak, the Night Stalker. Looking for all sorts of wild & crazy things, by wild & crazy superhumans. (I'm lookin' at YOU, Circle of Thorns and Banished Pantheon!) [Image: tongue.gif] Some of you already have characters there. All are welcome! Maybe we can subcontract some work for the PPD?
Global: @Jimmy Amp
"Broad-minded is just another way of saying a fellow's too lazy to form an opinion." -- Will Rogers
Now I'm wishing I didn't have all my slots on Virtue filled up.
Maybe I can toss Huntmaster Kethek -- the whole idea about The Race seems to have faded away, after all...

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
Hi folks!
Yes, this on Virtue. I did make a duplicate of Psychokinetix on Justice, just in case something happens on Virtue that makes it untenable. (I had massive lag problems last night. =P )
But by all means, guys - alt away! ^_^
I should be online tonight, drop me a line. [Image: smile.gif]
Regards,
Bert V.V.
skyknight@sentex.net
(SkyKnight! You old bastard! Long time no see!)
I'll be on tonight starting about 9 Pacific, so if you're still on then I'll hit you up; it may be a few days before we can meet up online, though, if you're not a night owl -- I'm pretty sure you're 3 hours ahead of me, no?
Regardless, here's some info, just because:
Name: Ryan 'McFixit' McCrory (pronounce the 'C', dangit!)
Occupation: Combat Engineer/EMT for UN-sanctioned special forces team, alternate timeline Earth
Education: Bachelors degree in Applied Gravitational Thaumaturgy, paramedic training course (this translates to a Magic-origin Gravity/Radiation Controller in game terms)
Description: Apparent age about 30-ish, 6' and change in height, with reddish-brown hair and a bushy mustache, physically well-built due to conditioning required by the armed forces. No visible scars or tattoos. Retains a slight Irish accent, hardly noticeable except when under stress. Or drunk.
Family History: one older brother (Michael), mother deceased, father retired and living on a houseboat in the Great Lakes region. Born in Dublin, lived there until family relocated to NYC when he was 7.
Notes: Ryan comes from an alternate timeline where magic is commonplace and in everyday usage for just about everything, from batteries to the travel industry. All of it is overseen, regulated, and under tight control, precisely because of the powers and risks involved. His special forces team was tasked with investigating, isolating, and apprehending magic-wielding criminals, terrorists, vigilantes, and other unsavory sorts. As applied to the mission, his focus was on constructing barriers to trap the targets; stopping them directly; and removing obstacles quickly through the magical control of gravity. He also practiced first aid and minor magical healing as necessary to keep the team functional. He's not suited temperamentally for solo action, and functions better in a team, taking rather than giving orders.
He landed on Paragon Earth after a failed mission, which may have cost the rest of his team their lives -- he's not sure; all he remembers is the sudden displacement and the sight of oncoming headlights, then waking up in the hospital.
Magic being what it is, he's found that he's considerably less powerful here than he was in his 'home' timeline. The spells he relied on generally don't work, or don't exhibit the desired results. Fortunately, his magical training was rigorous and scientific; he's spent the better part of his time since arriving disassembling his spells, identifying the problem areas, and rebuilding them to work here.
What Paragon City (and this universe in general) see as dedicated heroics, he sees as wanton recklessness -- especially by the magic-using community. In his opinion, this stuff is TOO DANGEROUS to be used by every J. Random Civilian who finds a pretty crystal or Magic For Dummies book. Overall, he wants to get home, of course; in the meantime, he takes his oaths to protect the innocent seriously, even if they aren't 'his' innocents. Registering with the authorities as a sanctioned hero made him feel slightly better -- at least there's SOME level of control here -- but still, he'd rather the setup was more... rigid. Don't these people GET IT? Why, if one of these 'heroes' goes off the rails, they could wreak havoc before anyone noticed or could be mobilized to stop them. At least with the squad setup, you've got other people right there to take down the nutjob right away if they happen to crack.
Meta-Notes: Ryan's actually a character I rolled up and played for several months in a pencil-and-paper RPG set in (of course) NYC, in a universe as briefly described. The game system was a home-tweaked version of Heroes Unlimited (Palladium); imagine my surprise when I found CoH could support McFixit virtually unchanged. [Image: smile.gif]

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs
Bert, both Sofaspud and I were terribly disappointed you weren't online when we were last night (tho' Spud stayed on after I logged off, so he might have run into you after). I actually deleted Huntmaster Kethek to make a toon for your group, and then I couldn't find you! I wanted to start earning prestige inside the tutorial, and you denied me that!
Anyway, I'll try to be on tonight, and I'll look for you. For your part, keep your eyes open for Watanabe Shinichi, wielder of the Power of the Afro.

-- Bob
---------
Well, Cadet Cates got in, and I think she can invite.
Also... are we thinking of the same Watanabe Shinichi? www.thenoodlebowl.com/oav...beshin.jpg
Hi folks! ^_^
Sorry I missed you, Bob and Sofaspud! If you check with Cadet Cates, she can invite you to the SG if I'm not around. [Image: smile.gif]
And yes, I'm in the Eastern time zone, so I'm 3 hours ahead of you, Sofa. 9 PM your time is bedtime my time. [Image: happy.gif]
Power of the 'fro....OMG, Bob, you made Nabeshin from Excel Saga?! Oh lord.... ^_^
Later folks!
Bert V.V.
skyknight@sentex.net
Quote:
Well, Cadet Cates got in, and I think she can invite.
Cool. I'll look for you if I can't find Bert.
Quote:
Also... are we thinking of the same Watanabe Shinichi?
Could be, rabbit, could be...
Seriously, someone already has a toon named "Nabeshin" on Virtue, and if he's going to be a PPD officer, I figured a full name was better. No rank though, I figure he's some kind of special officer adjunct or something.
Bio's a placeholder for now, too, just some random Nabeshinian stuff until I get a better feel for the group and and can include something about his role therein into it.
And yeah, he looks like that illo. Natural Blaster, Rifle/Energy Manipulation.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Power of the 'fro....OMG, Bob, you made Nabeshin from Excel Saga?! Oh lord.... ^_^

-- Bob
---------
Hmmmm.
I Could put my self-avatar in that SG as the Police Psycho... "Don't you mean police psychic?" I said what I meant. Or delete him for an Officer Friendly-type character.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Re: Hmmmm.
I vote in favor of the Police Psycho.
Just because I like to say "Police Psycho". '.'
-Morgan."This continuity is now a Princess of Darkness crossover."
"... They're all going to die, aren't they?"
"Yep. Popcorn?"
grrrr, after last night's PI mayhem mission, I have a new found hatred for kheldian PPD. Consider Corrupted Flame a permanent enemy of your SG Tongue
[Image: tongue.gif][Image: faveosig.jpg]
Seconded on the 'police psycho', for pretty much the same reasons.
Plus, if I manage to get McFixit in there, it'll give him a good reason for his spasmodic twitching.
"He's crazy... but he's a good guy... but he's CRAZY... *twitch*"

--sofaspud
Hrm.
I now have an idea in search of a name.
Magic Defender of some sort.
Occupation and function within P.S.I.: Forensic Thaumaturgist.--
"I give you the beautiful... the talented... the tirelessly atomic-powered...
R!
DOROTHY!
WAYNERIGHT!

--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
For the Police Psycho, might I suggest the name 'Tackleberry'? [Image: tongue.gif]
and for Norway's magic defender, how about 'Harry Dresden' [Image: wink.gif] __________________
I bet that if you cooked an elephant, you'd have a lot of leftovers.
Tackleberry we might be able to get away with -- that's reasonably obscure -- but I don't think the Powers That Be would smile benevolently on a blatant appropriation of a (copyrighted|trademarked) character such as good ol' Harry.
I'm just sayin'. [Image: smile.gif]
BUT! Maybe something like Larry Bresden -- y'know, the poor sap who's got the same skills, but can't seem to get the recognition? The one who just missed having his name in the Yellow Pages because Harry beat him to it?
The one who really... REALLY... hates it when people ask if he's that Dresden fellow?
Just my $0.02.

--sofaspud
"Karen Dresden-Murphy". [Image: smile.gif] --
"I give you the beautiful... the talented... the tirelessly atomic-powered...
R!
DOROTHY!
WAYNERIGHT!

--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Just as a note, Watanabe and McFixit are now in PSI as of last night. (Well, Watanabe as of the night before, but you get the idea...) Whoever set invite on for all levels of the group gets ten points.

-- Bob
---------