Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have decided
I have decided
...to found a super group.
I picked Triumph, since it's supposed to be relatively empty.
Now, Rev, Foxboy, and the Lovely Wife will perhaps remember our improvising a magical girl team on Virtue several days back. At about that point, the idea of creating a mahou shoujo SG and raising it up as an organized concept from level one on lodged itself in my brain and has flat-out refused to go away.
And yes, I fully recognize that the Mirror sibs and Kingdom have already pretty much beaten me to most of this punch. I'm trying to placate my muse, here, not be original.
Of course, the minimum level requirement for SG founding is a bit of a bump on the 'all at once' part of the concept.
At this point I've managed to dream up titles and potential powersets for a full eleven characters. There'd be room for Kamen types, of course - male or female, even - but I'd prefer to get all the girls spoken for before investing anything in them.
Which just means they'd need to be pitched beforehand, rather than showing up. ^_^
So, without further ado, I give you The Facets of The Yrmaw:
Inez of the Wildfire - Evil Midnight Lurker
Blaster: Fire Blast/Fire Manipulation
Lia of the Sea - His Lovely Wife
Blaster: Energy Blast/Ice Manipulation
Rina of the Shadow - Morganni
Scrapper: Dark Melee/Dark Armor
Lloelie of the Songs - Hunterminator
Controller: Mind Control/Sonic Resonance
Grace of the Spirit - Acyl
Defender: Empathy/Psychic Blast
Tonya of the Snows - Foxboy
Blaster: Ice Blast/Ice Manipulation
Yin of the Spheres - Chibi Konatsu
Controller: Gravity Control/Kinetics
Satomi of the Stars - Drenevian
Defender: Radiation Emission/Radiation Blast
Sara of the Earth - Valles
Dominator: Plant Control/Firey Assault
Sasha of the Storm - Sweno
Controller: Gravity Control/Storm Summoning
Kara of the Thunder - Valles
Blaster: Electrical Blast/Electricity Manipulation
Yes, most of those combinations are rather obvious. They seem apropos nontheless. I'll wait to see how much - if any - interest there is before I start getting into backstory and costuming instructions and such...
Ja, -n

===============================================
"Puripuri puripuri... Bang!"
Re: I have decided
Well, I can certainly come up with a character.
Although I noticed you don't seem to have very many damage dealers - only one scrapper on the list and a few blasters. My expereince playing with this type of group (IST Paragon seems full of defenders and controllers) is long and tedious missions because you can't take down the nasties fast enough.
Just my 2 cents worth. -Cindy
hm
instead of Flame.... how about:
Embers
Inferno
Blaze
Other possible "Soul" ... Spirit?
Natural MA/SR scrapper
Any Kheld
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Hm.
Since I never have too much on my plate... nope, not at all...
How about "Carmelita of the Wildfire" or some other Spanish or Gypsy name? Super-speed on top of fire-blaster powers. Flamenco dancer by day...
--Sam
"I am mighty! I have a glow you cannot see!"
hrm-more possibles (80's-tastic RAINBOW ETHNICITY)
Kayleigh of the Eclipse, D^3 (Dark/dark defender)
Yang Quin of the Mists, MA/Dark Armor scrapper
Shemeika of the Waves
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Quote:
My expereince playing with this type of group (IST Paragon seems full of defenders and controllers) is long and tedious missions because you can't take down the nasties fast enough.
I've not tried it myself...but I'm told that once you've got single origin enhancements and enough powers, an all-defender/controller team DOES work well, based simply on massive overlapping buffs, containment, and pets.
But that's later.
I think Cindy's probably right, there. You could use more damage.
If you're willing to stretch concepts, you could probably also do...I dunno, Shadows, Stars, Light or something with human-form Warshades and Peacebringers. I happen to think a human-form Peacebringer would make a perfect magical girl - bright sparkly energy blasts...
-- Acyl
Oh...
*looks at the amount of toons he has*
I really shouldn't, but that songs concept (the controller one) just resonates with me and I feel the urge to jump up and down yelling "ME! ME! PICK ME!"
So, if you don't mind waiting a bit for me to get my connection back (not long now, a week left to wait) I'd love to join in.
I might be persuaded to join in on this... Hmm. I'll have to see what slots are actually open when I can get on line to create someone.
-- Bob
---------
...The President is on the line
As ninety-nine crab rangoons go by...
Hmm. Taking into account the things that've been said so far, my preferred team make-up - what I think would work best conceptually, rather than in game - would include three proper blasters and one blapper, a scrapper, four controllers, and two defenders.
That's five dealers of hurt and six buffers; seems reasonably balanced except for the 'made of glass' angle.
Travel powers I'm thinking of limiting to the Jumping pool, with exceptions granted where conceptually apropos - like Spheres and Storm being allowed to take Flight, or Shadow having access to Teleportion.
I'm not so much opposed to having a Kheldian around as I am just unfamiliar with them; my current highest is level 12. Of course, from what I do know I'm not sure how well they fit the 'elemental' theme of most of the team... Spirit might work.
Pretty much the only other obligatory elements would be toon gender - female for all non-Kamens - backstory, and uniform.
About which last two:
I see their powers as being granted by a sort of magical equivalent of a Guyver unit or non-sapient Kheldian. These things were created by/at the orders of the ruling powers of Ye Randome Magickal World and sent to the CoH world to seek out and bond with worthy souls. The reason why is that CoH and Paragon City in particular are a sort of dimensional nexus, a chokepoint for interdimensional interaction. YRMW is one of several planes which can only be accessed (at least en masse) by first passing through Paragon.
Of course, those 'worthy souls' are not volunteers...
I had been thinking of a MKR-type 'armored schoolgirl' motif, with signet colors set to match/complement the glowies of that toon's powerset, but if anyone else has a suggestion, I'm quite open.
ETA: Oh! And name format, just for clarity's sake: it should be Name of the Title.
Ja, -n

No superspeed? T_T Ah well, the Carmelita concept can live without it...
--Sam
"Sidekicks don't kiss!"
Quote:
No superspeed? T_T Ah well, the Carmelita concept can live without it...
Actually, the 'wildfire' aspect is about the only one I can see playing well with speed.
I'll allow it, with the caveat that she has to take Jumping first.
Ja, -n

Done and done! [Image: smile.gif]
--Sam
"I'm faster than ten fast men!"
My suggested costume; feel free to chime in if you have a design of your own.
Head: Normal, with any of tiaras 3-8; Personally I think 4 and 6 work best
Torso: Armored type, Armor skin and matching color pattern. Jewel belt and Smooth glove type with, again, Armor skin and pattern. Select shoulder bits to your own taste, skulls and other obvious villian bits restricted to Shadow only unless you can pitch for them and sell me on it.
Legs: Skirts and Short Pants, of course; normal pleated, short or mini length. Boots should be like the gloves - Smooth/Armor/Armor.
Color scheme should, as I've said before, match and complement that of the powerset; I won't set limitations on which one goes where beyond that and saying that all the Armor bits should match.

The more I read this forum, the more I'm tempted to buy myself a copy of CoH/CoV, despite lacking the time or money for the game. There's also the fact that I _know_ I'd end up suffering from acute Alt-itis. [Image: tongue.gif]
as a possible alternative to 'Shadow', how about 'Night'?
Quote:
My suggested costume; feel free to chime in if you have a design of your own.
I'll try that, but I'd been prototyping and came up with this -- see if you like it or not...
[Image: Wildfire.png]
Sailor suit over Metallic skin, with element-appropriate pattern. (The veil is individual schtick.)
--Sam
"Costume? What costume?"
And testing your design...
[Image: wildfire2.png]
Not bad...
--Sam
"I got a straw right here pal! Want a demonstration?"
i31.photobucket.com/albums/c386/valles_uf/screenshot_2006-10-09-13-45-04.jpg
I like it. It seems to me that the exposed legs give the outfit more of a 'schoolgirl' feel, rather than pure 'medieval warrior'. Even if they don't really make sense.
Ja, -n

How about...
...putting a jewel on the chestplate, like so?
[Image: wildfire3.png]
The trinity of jewels makes a nice touch, I think...
And now I need a four-letter Spanish name, because that's all "of the Wildfire" leaves me. [Image: smile.gif]
--Sam
"Clark! Hi! I made you an ashtray!"
Re: How about...
The chest jewel is an excellent idea, I think - it looks hideous on the other torso designs but actually seems to work on the armored one.
As for names, sourcing here I've managed to dig up:
Ana
Eva
Ida
Inez
Rita
Sara
Zara
...as both being and sounding Spanish to someone who doesn't speak it.
Ja, -n
(considering setting up a meeting place/time)

Quote:
Of course, those 'worthy souls' are not volunteers...
That line pretty much sold me on the idea.
It's not a new notion, certainly...I've seen it in various deconstructions of the magical girl genre. But I'm thinking, it'd still be fun to play a cynical and sardonic magical girl who's somewhat less-than-enamoured with the whole schtick. I'm talking massive sarcasm here.
Mind you, she's not an antihero or anything. She's got fairly strong morals. She understands all that intellectually, anyway. She agrees, you know, someone ought to fight evil. Just why...does it have to be her?
So that's the personality cut. Which element and character type to do, however, well...I dunno. She could work as the Shadows/Night one (a Dark/Dark scrapper, perhaps), but that seems a little too obvious. Might be more amusing if she wields power that's usually associated with concepts rather more inspiring.
Or is sticking to the cliche, but doing it well, actually a virtue? Dunno.
There's also the issue of, well, what character type, gamewise, I should play. My Mirror Kingdom character? She's a controller, due to concept...but I don't like playing controllers. Hence I'm like, not motivated to play her. It's kinda a problem.
Hm. I mostly favour Scrappers or Defenders, but I could try a Blaster. I'm also kinda meh about tanks, so...
(Yes, I'm a troublesome person)
-- Acyl
Quote:
It's not a new notion, certainly...I've seen it in various deconstructions of the magical girl genre. But I'm thinking, it'd still be fun to play a cynical and sardonic magical girl who's somewhat less-than-enamoured with the whole schtick. I'm talking massive sarcasm here.
Mind you, she's not an antihero or anything. She's got fairly strong morals. She understands all that intellectually, anyway. She agrees, you know, someone ought to fight evil. Just why...does it have to be her?
So, in other words, she's Nao without the gender bias.
Cool.
As titles, well, Storm and Spirit both pretty much demand powersets that are mostly limited to Defenders, and the latter is what I had been thinking of as what Sailor Moon's powers/talents would map to. And there are just whole mountains of amusment value in the idea of swapping the 'standard powersets' of The Genki Girl and The Cranky One.
OTOH, except for having been conceived as the leader, with attendant charisma, Kara does meet the Big 'Guy' archetype.
If you're genuinely undecided, I think that a scrapper would help fill the team's holes while still working well, conceptually, but we're doing this for our own amusement rather than as a chore, so it pretty much comes down to: Which of those three/four options would you rather play as?
Ja, -n
(planning to be on, as Kara, starting around 5 Eastern/9 GMT)

Inez of the Wildfire it is then. [Image: smile.gif] Switched the orange and red areas of her armor, then set her loose in Outbreak... but now I have to break for work. ^.^ I'll be back to grab Isolator around 5 Pacific.
--Sam
"Oh, there's crime here. I can smell it."
Went and fiddled around in the character creator. A couple design ideas, workin' around the costume theme:
[Image: mgconcept1.jpg]
A possible dark power costume, but it could do for others as well, since it's not really darkity-dark.
[Image: mgconcept2.jpg]
And another, with more of a technomagic motif. With the blue colours, it could also serve for a water or ice-themed character. I still haven't decided. Decisions, decisions.
I think I like the second one better. But hey, I like technomagic.
-- Acyl
Completely forgot today's a holiday. ^.^ Back to the hot zone.
--Sam
"How the hell did I do that?"
I read this before I went to work, and ended up thinking that with the "Not volunteers" thing, they might also not end up quite matching the stereotypical appearance or personality traits that are usually seen...
Or, to put it another way, you'd better be careful about letting me get involved in this, or you'll probably end up with a Shadow who has pink hair.
(Though I'm not sure I want to play another scrapper, I have plenty of those already. But then, I'm not sure I can take playing a character in that armor chest type...)
-Morgan."I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, or espers here, come sleep with me."
---From "The Ecchi of Haruhi Suzumiya"
-----(Not really)