Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Off the mental rails: Favorite development stories

Katy Kaboom is the evolved version of my attempt to recreate a non-CoX hero within the game -- specifically, Santa's Helper, a take-charge toy manufacturer
business tycoon by day, a costumed vigilante by night, using his specially modified toy army to defeat the forces of EEEEVIIILL! He was a favorite of mine in
the Palladium Heroes Unlimited setting, even if we had to house-rule a lot of stuff to make our ideas work. (As is
usual with Palladium, some great concepts, but lousy execution -- but I digress.)

Norman Augustus St. Clair could not come to Paragon City on his own -- for one thing, he'd have to be a mastermind, and he wasn't evil; for another,
he'd have to have given up his beloved hover-sleigh, and that's just not his style -- so instead, after a couple days of fiddling, I decided he'd
be in the backstory and made him Katy's grandfather. Katy grew into her own character from there; originally her concept was a tech hero (toys == tech)
using non-lethal methods (mind control == stun beams or something, storm summoning).

I really need to dust Katy off and get her rolling again. Heh.

-----\

Emerald Blast. I knew starting out that I wanted to create an empathy defender, but what secondary powerset? She was an Army medic, I knew that going in. I
wanted her to be slightly nuts. How to do that? Then it occurred to me that, hey, what if it was the *cat on her shoulder* that was the actual character?
Wouldn't that be cool?

... well, maybe, but not for her, as it turned out.

I fleshed out her character a bit during the early levels, but it wasn't until 15 or so that I really figured out what direction to take her. Some
Legendary members may recognize the retcon, here -- in early play, I figured Mr. Whiskers really WAS a cat, etc, and tried to play it that way. I distinctly
recall Stephnie Jenova having a discussion in cat-language with him at one point. Very strange. Anyway, it just didn't fit what I had in mind for her --
if he really WAS a cat, then she wasn't crazy. And I knew she was really truly crazy. So I scrapped the Mr. Whiskers Is Alive bit and finally figured out
her bio, which usually gets the point across. [Image: smile.gif]

But starting out? Yeah, she was just a healer type with a predilection for the color green and a orange cat on her shoulder. She's also the only
character I've ever created who has won a costume contest, and she didn't even enter it. So there's that, too. (I've played this up
in-character via her 'fashion tips' and whatnot to other characters -- after all, if random heroes come up,
compliment her costume, and hand her money, she's gotta be doing SOMETHING right. [Image: smile.gif])

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Foxboy - 06-08-2008, 05:34 PM
[No subject] - by Sofaspud - 06-08-2008, 06:49 PM
[No subject] - by Wiregeek - 06-08-2008, 07:16 PM
[No subject] - by sweno - 06-08-2008, 10:02 PM
[No subject] - by Acyl - 06-09-2008, 03:02 AM
[No subject] - by Morganite - 06-09-2008, 05:16 AM
[No subject] - by Bob Schroeck - 06-09-2008, 05:27 AM