Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issue 13 Open Beta!
Issue 13 Open Beta!
Doooooom!!!!

Ahem.

As announced here: Click on link for details, Issue 13 Power and Responsibility
is now on Open Beta. They have opened the flood gates...

Details on how to get onto the Test Server are provided on the official announcement.

I predict a meltdown of the Test Server and the Forums...

Let the Chaos and Mayhem Begin!

To quote the movie Daredevil: Bring on the Pain! Bring on the Suffering!

Shader

To Sum up the majority of the Feedback from the Fourms so far: BAAAAWWWWWWWW! and DOOOOOOOOOM! (with one positive reply, at least)
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

Well, THAT was a SHORT Closed Beta! I was expecting at least another couple of weeks on that. I guess they felt pressured to get I13 out the door before Wrath
of the Lich King shipped.

Quote:the base salvage storage got nerfed from 2500 items to 30.

o.O?

-Morgan.

Quote: Morganni wrote:

Quote: the base salvage storage got nerfed from 2500 items to 30.

o.O?

-Morgan.
Probably because base salvage is being rolled out entirely. About all you have now is Halloween salvage to put in that storage space.
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."

Quote: OpMegs wrote:

Quote: Morganni wrote:

Quote: the base salvage storage got nerfed from 2500 items to 30.

o.O?

-Morgan.
Probably because base salvage is being rolled out entirely. About all you have now is Halloween salvage to put in that storage space.

Well, that, and Invention Salvage *Grin*

So, what are you supposed to do to build your base now if they're getting rid of base salvage?

So the Epic PPs and Patron PPs have been totally revamped. Here's the list thus far:

Quote: * Blaster - Cold Mastery - Hoarfrost replacing Flash Freeze, reduced HP bonus

* Blaster - Electrical Mastery - Conserve Power replacing shocking bolt

* Blaster - Electrical Mastery - Power Surge replacing EM pulse, identical to force of nature

* Blaster - Munitions Mastery - Surveillance replacing Sleep grenade

Controllers

* Controller - Stone Mastery - Seismic Smash replacing hurl boulder. Reduced damage.

* Controller - Ice Mastery - Frost Breath replacing ice storm

* Controller - Primal Forces Mastery - Energy Torrent Replacing power blast, knockdown version

Defenders

* Defender - Psychic Mastery - World of Confusion replacing Telekinesis

* Defender - Electricity Mastery - Shocking bolt replacing Electric fence

Scrappers

* Scrapper - Body mastery - Focused Accuracy - Decreased to-hit buff, added accuracy buff. Provides same total bonus in PVE.

* Scrapper - Weapon Mastery - Targeting Drone (Modified to work like focus accuracy)

Tankers

* Tanker - Energy Mastery - Focused Accuracy - Decreased to-hit buff, added accuracy buff. Provides same total bonus in PVE.

* Tanker - Pyre Mastery - Melt Armor replacing ring of fire. Reduced debuff effect

* Tanker - Arctic Mastery - Shiver replacing chilblain

* Tanker - Arctic Mastery - Freezing Rain replacing Ice storm, reduced debuff effect

* Tanker - Earth Mastery - Quicksand Replacing stone prison, reduced debuff effect

* Tanker - Earth Mastery - Conserve Power replacing Salt Crystals

Brutes

* Brute - Soul Mastery - Dark Blast replacing Gloom

* Brute - Soul Mastery - Darkest Night replacing summon widow, reduced debuff effect

* Brute - Mace Mastery - Focused Accuracy - Decreased to-hit buff, added accuracy buff. Provides same total bonus in PVE.

* Brute - Leviathan Mastery - Arctic Breath replacing Bile spray - cone power similar to Freezing rain.

Corruptors

* Corruptor - Soul Mastery - Power Boost replacing Soul Drain

* Corruptor - Mace Mastery - Focused Accuracy replacing pet - Decreased to-hit buff, added accuracy buff. Provides same total bonus in PVE.

* Corruptor - Mace Mastery - Focused Accuracy replacing pet - Decreased to-hit buff, added accuracy buff. Provides same total bonus in PVE.

* Corruptor - Mu Mastery - Conserve Power replacing electric shackles

Dominators

* Dominators - Soul Mastery - Oppressive Gloom replacing Dark Consumption.

* Dominators - Soul Mastery - Soul Drain Replacing dark Obliteration, adjusted buff effect

* Dominators - Mace Mastery - Personal Force Field replacing Disruptor Blast

* Dominators - Leviathan Mastery - Water Spout - Eliminated knockback and fear effect, reduced chance of knockup and stun.

* Dominators - Leviathan Mastery - Hibernate replacing Chum spray

* Dominators - Mu Mastery - Power Surge Replacing Ball Lightning - Identical to Force of Nature

Masterminds

* Mastermind - Soul Mastery - Oppressive Gloom replacing Night Fall. Increased radius

* Mastermind - Mace Mastery - Power Boost replacing Mace Beam Volley

* Mastermind - Leviathan Mastery - Knockout Blow replacing Chum spray

* Mastermind - Mu Mastery - Thunderstrike (AOE version) replacing static discharge

Stalkers

* Stalker - Soul Mastery - Shadow Meld - New power replacing pet, +30% def, 20 second duration, 90 second recharge)

* Stalker - Mace Mastery - Disruptor Blast replacing pet

* Stalker - Leviathan Mastery - Water Spout - Eliminated knockback and fear effect, reduced chance of knockup and stun.

* Stalker - Leviathan Mastery - Hibernate replacing pet

* Stalker - Mu Mastery - Ball Lightning replacing Zapp

* Stalker - Mu Mastery - Conserve Power replacing pet

Only change I'm really annoyed about is that Shocking Bolt (a hold) is replacing Electric Fences (an immob), which means Nene is, once again, down to zero
immobs. Beyond that, I'm not sure what the change to Focused Acc is about(and I've been considering dropping that power from Sylia anyway).
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."

Quote: OpMegs wrote:

So the Epic PPs and Patron PPs have been totally revamped. Here's the list thus far:

Quote: Brutes

* Brute - Soul Mastery - Dark Blast replacing Gloom

* Brute - Soul Mastery - Darkest Night replacing summon widow, reduced debuff effect

* Brute - Mace Mastery - Focused Accuracy - Decreased to-hit buff, added accuracy buff. Provides same total bonus in PVE.

* Brute - Leviathan Mastery - Arctic Breath replacing Bile spray - cone power similar to Freezing rain.

So no change to Flame's Mu Mastery, which is good. I'd be upset if I lost one of her powers
There is no coincidence, only necessity....
- Clow Reed

II'm a little annoyed that one of Nogi's personal attacks has been replaced by a PBAoE stun that costs HP to run. And I don't know that I'm
happy about Conserve power replacing the shackles for Inari either....
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

While I recognise that, generally, these changes are a buff for many sets, I'm with Foxboy - I am not happy that they're taking my toys away. Shocking Bolt is one of my favourite powers period, and there's no way I'm gonna like that going away on my Blaster. I mean, that's enough to drop Glass Lass from my favourite hero down to just another of my 50s.

I gotta find something else blueside to IO now, I suppose. Meh. Guess I'll have to level a new Defender so I can have my Shocking Bolt back. Yes, I'm serious. =(
-- Acyl

I'm kinda dissapointed with these too. I mean, for stalkers, sure that shadow meld thing is a nice little defense boost, but I -like- the pet. It FITS. And
Emet is -also- losing an immob, and getting.... a AoE slow. I can kinda see the logic to this, but that Immob was -useful- for AVs. >.>

It looks to me like someone said "We gotta shove Conserve Power and Focused Accuracy into as many sets as possible."
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

It seems that at one point, the client-side costume files could be edited to apply any RGB value to any costume piece.

A thread where this was brought up degenerated into massive lulz.

I'm quite fond of this bit from blacktomcat:
Quote:I'd also like to point out that unclothed robot characters exist on the game. Does that mean that you only limit your prejudice against nudity to one particular species? What if I decided to make a mutant character whose mutation was that his skin has that actual appearance and texture of an expensive Italian suit? "No, I'm not a business man. This is just how my skin looks. I'm naked right now, you know."

-Morgan. People who mind nudity have no decency or moral standards. '.'

Having since found the patch notes, some more comments...

-Midnight Squad and Cimerora story arcs: Yeah!

-Multiple builds: I still wish there was a way to share enhancements between builds. I can imagine ways it could be done without being exploitable.

-Supergroup color changes: Nice. I've definately run into the "damage repair" problem on Alexis.

-New IO sets: Very nice. The options for PBAoE damage always seemed a bit lacking, and the new options for holds will be nice as well. The wiki has information on these. ("Lockdown: Chance for +2 Mag Hold"?!) Don't think
I've got anything that Accurate Defense Debuff and Accurate To-Hit Debuff would apply to, but I'm definately interested in the Accurate Healing sets
for Transfusion.

-APP/PPP changes: Have yet to get anyone to those levels (except the first power on Eri), so not sure. Other than thinking dropping something as useful as a
ranged hold from Electrical Mastery seems a bit dubious. I may not have played blasters to any signficant degree, but I've played controllers enough to
know how much it can help to keep one particular annoyance out of the way for a while...

-Kheldians: Looks like an across-the-board improvement, so yay them. It'll probably be a while before I get one though, lacking 50s.

-Focused Accuracy and it's ilk: Not that I have reason to care, since I'm not getting them, but people are acting like this is a PvE nerf. Is this
"same total bonus in PvE" wrong in some unexplained way?

-Dark melee changes: Eri will benefit from both of these.

And the big things...

-Day jobs: In the guide to guides, I found the link to the dev diary post on these. "This bonus will take 10 days of log out time to earn 2 hours worth of
this bonus. However, once you earn the Professor badge you only need to be logged out 8 days to earn the 2 hour benefit instead of 10."

.... If that's typical, I don't think I'll be trying very hard to get day job bonuses.

If the new costume pieces require certain badges though, I'll make an effort for that.

Still, some of the bonuses do look interesting, but I hope more information becomes available on what it takes to get what.

-Merits: Lots of doom and gloom to be had here, with the number of merit awarded based on average time required to complete a task. I think it's a bit of a
dubious assumption that merit awards will *continually* be adjusted downwards. They may not have enough data *now* to decide on some, but at some point they
ought to be able to decide upon a fair number and leave it there. And at that point, is it really wrong that people who are capable of doing better than the
average get more rewards?

(Various numbers can be found in this
post, though I'm a bit concerned that there's no number listed for Moonfire. I like that tf.)

Story arc rewards are only given to the owner of the arc. Not sure how good an idea this is. Is a group doing an arc for each person as good in merits/time as
everyone doing their arcs solo? Things seem like they go faster in teams, but I'm not sure it's that much faster. And in flashbacked arcs it should be
possible to award everyone, since with their pseudo-TF structure anyone there at the end must have been there at the beginning.

"Farming" has a pretty high focus on AoE, but with this arrangement I could see soloing flashback arcs a definite possibility for a larger variety of
characters. (Though a fire/kin can chew through a lot of those quickly too, with imps.) Look at, say, Croatoa. 23 merits for those 4 arcs. I could probably do
it fairly easily in an afternoon on Eri. This could translate to 3-5 million inf worth of progress towards a rare recipe by current market standards.
Doesn't seem bad at all.

2 for Eden? That seems a bit dubious.

Selling SOs and common IO recipes for merits seems pointless. They just aren't worth it. Some of the salvage is also yaright, but 30 merits for a
multi-million inf salvage might not be too unreasonable. I'm not clear as to whether these are selected randomly or not though.

Random recipe: I do not feel lucky, punk.

Karma -knockback is a *lot* cheaper than Steadfast Protection -knockback. I don't get it.

Trap of the Hunter Acc/End doesn't sound worth 125 merits. It's selling in the market for less than vendor cost most of the time... Miracle
end/rech/heal looks excessive too.

Still, even if some of the costs are kind of strange, this'll make a lot of high-powered IOs more available and provide more options for getting them,
which looks good to me overall.

-Morgan. Also, lolpvp. ^_-

UPDATE!
They're working on letting us keep the existing Epic/Patron powers, with the new stuff coming in as alternative options (at level 43).
Message from the dev dataminer 'Jonathan', as conveyed by Castle
Thank you gentlemen, you might just have saved yourself at least one subscriber. *points to self*
-- Acyl

the CoH official boards are shittier than usual, *snrk*

Edit: Hey, the devs changed, y'all bitched, and the devs listened!

you can take off your Atlantea hat now ; )
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

For the unintentional humor value:

Quote:

Thats awesome and all and im really happy everyone will get a power they like but this still leaves the Blasters Fire Epic a broken a worthless piece of
crap.

Char and Fire Shield are awesome but Bonfire and ROTP are trash and are useless for anyone who has a well built blaster.

The only people who benifit from these stupid powers are those who know nothing about the way a blaster is meant to be played

*looks at Pooky, Braende, Alice, Fren, and probably a dozen other blasters that have Fire Mastery*

Excuse me while I cackle insanely. /em evillaugh
---
waste."

*snort*

Bonfire is 99 pounds of hilarity crammed into a 50 pound sack - Rise of the Phoenix is the _reason_ I have a blaster.

For me, I'm not too affected by this... at least Silver keeps her laser beam eyes, that was my big worry. As for the Focused Accuracy change, not sure how
it'll affect her, if at all. Silver uses Focused Accuracy all the time unless she's having endurance issues.

The change from Night Fall to Oppressive Gloom for MMs Soul Mastery does bother me as well, but I'll just have to play around with it and see how it feels.
If I don't like it, I may respec out of it to get the new Power Boost power from the Mace Mastery set... if it works the same way as power boost up from
the defenders APP. Poison + PBU = pwnage. Big Grin

Also... world of confusion instead of telekinesis is a GREAT change for defenders. Now my FF defender can add a purple bubble to the rest of her bubbles!

Quote: Wiredgeek wrote:

I don't know... I though PlasmaStream's

I have since destroyed the voodoo doll i was making of you to burn in effigy.

I am also taking the orbital laser offline.

comment was lulz worthy.

Edit: Hey, the devs changed, y'all bitched, and the devs listened!

you can take off your Atlantea hat now ; )

I beg your pardon?

Quote:I beg your pardon?

you're one of the most vitrolic ranters I know - or at least the most effective at it. Ankh's right up there with ya, though. Especially when someone pulls early on her...

Speaking of, what do you think about the base changes?

Well, I wish they hadn't cut the storage bin space down by about a factor of 100 (2500 to 30), but the good news is we at least get -some- form of SG
Invention Salvage (Henceforth just 'salvage') sharing. That is applause worthy. The Price cut down will be good for the other SGs coa'd with the
Legedary that -don't- have 13 million Prestige or a HUGE Base.

On the Merits:

The idea is awesome, win, pure and utter brilliance wrapped up in Squee and Yay. The actual amounts rewarded are kinda odd on a first look, but that
doesn't matter much to me. (They are very tangible evidence of progress towards a recipe cost)

And Also The A/PPP Changes:

This is why I like CoH. The Devs actually -listen- once in a while (*gasp*). I can't say it was a matter of quitting the game for me, but I wasn't
entirely please with the initial changes. People got on the boards and did their /e protest thing and actually got some results.

(And on the Rants: I say: "huh?")
---

Quote: I beg your pardon?

you're one of the most vitrolic ranters I know - or at least the most effective at it. Ankh's right up there with ya, though. Especially when someone
pulls early on her...

Speaking of, what do you think about the base changes?

Ah ok. I -think- I'll take that as a compliment. I -have- been known to channel Sam Kinneson in real life occasionally. ^_^

I really can't tell you jack squat about the base changes because I got into Closed Beta a little late and there was no base for me to check out. Can we
change that?

I suspect the new salvage storage limit for the SG bases...is derived from the individual storage limit for a given character - inventory and vault. 30 is
about the basic number at mid-level.

I agree that's a little small, however - especially considering you can damn well fill that with just Halloween stuff alone. I sincerely hope they increase
the storage space from the present reported number.

I'm also interested as to what this will do for SG dynamics.

We are a reasonably tight-knit group, and while we do not go through incredible pains with our recruitment, chances are if someone's invited into one of
our SGs, they're either a) recommended by a member, or b) have proven, through teaming with us or otherwise, they're not a putz.

So we don't have to worry about new members coming in, getting access to salvage, then robbing us blind.

This has already been an issue in the greater CoH community with enhancement storage. Having actual communal invention storage may make that harsher.
-- Acyl