Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Virtue is its Own Reward 2.0 Discussion Thread

Rev's writing style reminds me of a series of Vietnam fiction called Vietnam: Ground Zero written by a pair of
actual vets who didn't have a lot of nice things to say, but had to say it in a fictionalized way to avoid jail time. Their description of combat was
equally realistic, and really made you appreciate the differences between Hollywood and the Real Thing.
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

*Bumps in anticipation*
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

*rebump*
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

*bump*

Screwball idea for a VIIOR AU: How many Rei clones do we have running around, anyway? There's Emi/Ysra/etc, Ichi, Reiten, probably more... crazed thought:
We all end up making Rei clones of various types...

And after the Incident, we awaken not in our RL selves, but in the Reiquarium. At around the beginning of an until-then-mostly-canonical Eva series....
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Ack! It's "We Were Teenage Dummy Plugs!"
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat

-- James Nicoll

After spewing a lot of fluid out of lungs, check things out.

Albino girl body, weird hair, weird eyes, and a lot of people that want to use me as a science experiment. Worse, I know the backstory, so I know how cold and
ruthless they might be if they push the issue.

On the other hand, I probably just gained another thirty years...

I'd still trade it to go home though...

Okay, now how do I find my way back...

That's probably my train of thought. Smile
---

Bump time.

And a suggestion.

Instead of GURPS for statting out stuff in this setting... how about Mutants & Masterminds? It's a nice openly superheroic system....
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

I can just as easily use Hero System 5.0 Wink

Mister GURPS-hater-man! Tongue

-- James Nicoll

Marvel Advanced? I really prefer the one-table approach to superhero gaming.
---

I don't really care what system is used.  I've tried stating Naptha out in both GURPS and SAS. as I've got them.
--
I am professionally trained in computer science, which is to say
(in all seriousness) that I am extremely poorly educated.
- Joseph Weizenbaum, "Computer Power and Human Reason"

ECS,
you may want to add the Mecha and Manga set if your going to "stat out" a VIIOR toon in Mutants and Masterminds.
considering that when i look in there, i have half a template for the Shizuru!me from there.
i hate having overly complex ideas.
In the epic rage of furious thunder
legends create their tales
when the twilight calls and the dark lord falls
our glory will prevail

[Image: strikersetcfinal9_th.jpg]
In the epic rage of furious thunder
legends create their tales
when the twilight calls and the dark lord falls
our glory will prevail

[Image: strikersetcfinal9_th.jpg]

And we're live again! Gotta get back to my writing now! Thanks, Fox!
-- Bob
---------

Post #124 - In-chan was trying to undo the whole thing, so she could go home, wasn't she? Smile
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Maybe? Big Grin

-- James Nicoll

Bump to parallel the bump on the main thread. No content here, move along, move along.
-- Bob
---------

Ah but there SHOULD be content. I'm all for resurrecting this again fully.
What IS it about this fic idea? It's SUCH a great idea and would be such fun. But we've twice now lost steam. Why is that? Maybe if we can figure that out, we can really get it moving again?
One thing that kind of makes it difficult for me to get my head around is timelines. Who's doing what? When? And what information do they know? It seems like such a small thing to get hung up on. But I have this need to "know where every piece is on the board before I consider my move" so to speak.
EDIT: Looking above, it might indeed be a good idea to stat things out with a game system.
I recommend Hero, since that's what I know very well. 5th or 6th edition is fine.
GURPS I could live with, but I just don't think it does supers well at all.
Mutants and Masterminds I've never played nor have any books etc, but I hear good things about.
A couple of years ago I would have suggested Silver Age Sentinals or BESM as a possible alternative. But what with Guardians of Order going out of business, it would make it hard to find the material. As it stands, Tri-stat is still a good system. Just becoming obscure.
Marvel? *cringes* only if you all think you really MUST...

Mutants & Masterminds is basically Hero d20.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Seems that what happens is that folks seem to hang on one of my posts, when I leave off at an "okay, let's let someone else have a turn to do cool stuff" point.

And then life and writer's block interferes, etc.

-- James Nicoll

Villains and Vigilantes? It's flexible enough to more than cover the comparatively limited range of COH's power selections. And it scales up out of normal human territory a whole lot faster than GURPS does.
-- Bob
---------

hmmm, tempted to write for VIIOR again.... it would be a change of pace... and i think i was the only aussi writeing in it. *ponders*

dark seraph Wrote:hmmm, tempted to write for VIIOR again.... it would be a change of pace... and i think i was the only aussi writeing in it. *ponders*
What, MD isn't an Aussie any more?
MD!  Oi!  When did you lose your Aussie card?

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

Sofaspud Wrote:
dark seraph Wrote:hmmm, tempted to write for VIIOR again.... it would be a change of pace... and i think i was the only aussi writeing in it. *ponders*
What, MD isn't an Aussie any more?
MD!  Oi!  When did you lose your Aussie card?
oh right, forgot he wrote some stuff for it to.