Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Roleplaying Ideas...
Some Roleplaying Ideas...
Addicted To Being Good? The Psychopathology Of Heroism

The really interesting thing at the core here is the idea that the "markers" of sociopathy and heroism are almost identical, except for the empathy scale -- the sociopath has no empathy, the hero (or "X-altruist", as the writer calls it) has a surfeit.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Addicted To Being Good? The Psychopathology Of Heroism
The really interesting thing at the core here is the idea that the "markers" of sociopathy and heroism are almost identical, except for the empathy scale -- the sociopath has no empathy, the hero (or "X-altruist", as the writer calls it) has a surfeit.
Which makes complete sense if you look at Batman in contrast to his Rogues Gallery.

Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Hmm... this is fascinating stuff. Thanks for posting that!
That's a really interesting spin on things. Compelled to do the greater good.
I suppose it makes sense. If you have sociopaths on one end of the curve, naturally there has to be something like this on the other end!
Maybe make this into a comparison with our own characters? What characters do we have that are like this? Or on the sociopathic end? Or somewhere in the middle?
What's even more interesting is that it seems, at least to a limited extent, it's possible for a sociopath to do "good" if he sees it as benefiting him.

Quote:Hmm... this is fascinating stuff. Thanks for posting that!
You're welcome! As for the questions you ask, I'd have to think about my toons first.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

*reads it over* interesting.... i think DS might be slightly X-altruist. which sort of makes me laughs.