Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New info from Paragon Studios
New info from Paragon Studios
First off, there's War Witch's interview on Massively.
Notable points here:
- Issue 19 Strike Pack in the works (unknown factor, but more i19 related content)
- New Booster Pack that "players are going to pounce on" (Animals?)
- Issue 20 in mid production with more Incarnate content.
Then, the new monthly Producer's Letter
Notable bits:
- Upcoming Incarnate Trials (new trials similar to Crystal Titan/Hydra?)
- Issue 21 focused around more storyline content
- Rare and Very Rare Incarnate boosts releasing in "a few short weeks"
- CoX being integrated into NCSoft Launcher, similar to other NCSoft titles.
- New info on Praetorian Hamidon at PAX East '11
- Double XP Weekend, January 27-31st
[Image: lambda_sector2.jpg]
[Image: lambda_sector4.jpg]
....so, I'm kinda stoked.

[img]file:///C:/Users/Dispatch/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/img]
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."

Though I've heard that folks are less than enthused about the NCSoft launcher; apparently, it's buggy and bloaty.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Personally I'll be happy so long as you can achieve all Incarnate abilities Solo natrually at a slower rate than if you teamed/TF's

also

Do want Rare/Very rare alpha boosts!

Fuck.  Do Not Want the launcher.  ESPECIALLY if it follows the other NCSoft trend of installing GameGuard.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

I havn't heard anything about the launcher, is it really that bad?
and what exactuly dose it do? Is it really that needed?

It does the same stuff that the launcher we have does, from what I can tell. The difference is it manages all the NCSoft games (i.e. Aion, Lineage, Lineage II, Guild Wars) as well as CoX. I don't think (I bloddy well hope not) it'll install GameGuard unless you try and install another game that makes use of it.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

Somebody want to explain to me what GameGuard is? References please?

I know I already don't want to deal with the NCSoft launcher based solely on the experience I had dealing with it on EXteel. 

But if NCSoft starts going anywhere even within a lightyears vicinity of what Battle.net does? DO. NOT. WANT. 

Game Guard is an Anti-Cheat Software used for Lineage II. It's about as bad as it gets, as far as "legitimate" malware gets. It's a secret-hidden Rootkit process, that you can't monitor, and can read your memory, kill processes it decides are 'cheats' and automatically updates itself whenever it wants. It may also be able to keylog.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

Oh wow really? Christ on a flaming pogo stick, If we're stuck with the launcher and that nasty piece of work is apart of it..I may have to seriously consider finding myself something else to play because there is no way I want that garbage on my system 0_o

I honestly don't think they'd be that stupid. I hope not.
---

I've actually had GameGuard on a system before; I used to play Gunbound and Phantasy Star Online back in the day, and those were GameGuard titles. The stories about it borking your system are somewhat overstated, but it is quite true that once it's on a machine, it's difficult to get it off. The presence of GameGuard is the main reason why I refused (and still refuse) to try Aion. 

Regardless:- as already stated, the NCsoft launcher itself doesn't involve GameGuard, at least not to my knowledge. Individual games that start off the launcher do, yeah, but that's a game-by-game thing. At this point in the game's life, it's unlikely that they'd try to put such protection into CoH. In any case it's mostly something that Korean developers have a mad-on for; while pretty much all of NCsoft's Korean-developed games have the software, you don't actually see it in NCsoft titles originating from elsewhere, like Guild Wars (or Auto Assault, Tabula Rasa, etc. back in the day). 

The issue with the NCsoft launcher is simply that it's a needlessly large piece of software and is rather slow. That's a big enough problem in and of itself, mind you.
-- Acyl

Been doing some digging, and apparently NCSoft isn't completely deaf to its userbase: they dropped GameGuard from the North American release of Aion, apparently.  If you're in the Asian or European markets, apparently, you're still stuck with it.
And from what I can tell Acyl's right -- it's not part of the launcher, just some of the apps that the launcher, er, launches.
I'll try to keep an eye on it.  If it doesn't come with GG I'll grumble but deal; if it comes with GG... that's probably a dealbreaker for me.
(As for the rest, I'm jazzed all to hell by it.  So of COURSE there has to be a potential fly in the ointment. *sigh*)

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

Yay, Spud to the rescue with reassuring information. I'll be able to handle the launcher if need be..just don't want that GG abomination anywhere near my system

the rest is tastyfish!

Likewise. If GameGuard becomes necessary for COH, COH becomes unnecessary for me.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

*Big soulful eyes* I'll miss the game if it comes to that.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

You know, this brings to mind a subject that... well, it's probably not a problem now or for the foreseeable future. But perhaps we as a group should think about it.
What -do- we as a gaming group do if/when City of Heroes goes away?
Now it may never happen. Everquest - the ORIGINAL Everquest(!!) - is still going the last I heard. City of Heroes is a niche game and I think the producers and devs know it and are fine with that. So I don't think it's going away any time within the next 5-10 years based on subscription level. But something else might happen. If NCSoft went nuts and decided to put GameGuard or something like it in, I think most of us would drop the game and move on to something else. What do you suppose that something else might be?
I assume that "The Legendary" would gravitate toward another superhero MMO. Like Champions Online or DC Online etc. Or something else that hasn't hit the market yet. What do you think?

Well, Champions Online is soon-to-be Free-To-Play, so that's the most convenient option, but it'd take some investment to get all their "Adventure Packs" in addition to the subscription. DC Online has only been out, for what? A week or so now? It's too soon to say. I think we'll have to cross that bridge when we come to it, because it might burn down before we do.
---

Nethack, man.
... okay, more seriously, a bit "I don't know".  I'll decide if if if it ever happens.

--sofaspud

I'd give DC Online a look, based on the things I've read. I'd fall back on Champs if I had no other choice.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

While I'm trying out DCUO, and I'm liking it... I really really REALLY hope NCSoft doesn't think of using Gameguard.

Some of us don't have the graphics clunkage to go for Champions Online or the like.

How bad is the graphics req for DCUO?
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

ECSNorway Wrote:Some of us don't have the graphics clunkage to go for Champions Online or the like.

How bad is the graphics req for DCUO?

Supposedly the same as CoX, but I'll paste the sys reqs from steam (and comment)

Steams install of DCUO was only about 8 gig, so I think they were just being ultra paranoid on that part :lol

That said, DCUOs chat system is the worst I've ever seen in an MMO. If we ever do have to abandon CoH, going there would mean we'd never be able to chat properly again.

... So lets hope Paragon Studios stays sane.

Yeah well my PC's storage set-up's odd, I mean I've got a V.raptor for a boot drive, a 50/50 chance of things appearing on the 640GB app/user drive, two drives I ain't using enough of, space for two more and no more free or functional SATA ports. I've a feeling my storage re-think's going to turn into an entire system re-think. It's bad enough that I ran into power supply problems with my latest videocard.