Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TotL: Learning to Unwind
TotL: Learning to Unwind
Waaaas meant to have this done pre I21... but muse has been lagging, enjoy Smile
- - -

Freedom mall

Steel canyon
“Remind me why I agreed to do this again?” Neph grumbled as she entered.
The Fortunata Jasmine looked up at her and grinned. “Because you had nothing better to do and I asked nicely”
Swearing under her breath, she followed her in, the shorter woman giggling happily as she went from store front to store front.
With growing dread, she followed deeper and deeper into what she considered the “girly” part of the mall, fashion boutiques, Hair dresses, manicurist… it went on and on.
“Ahh here we go my dear.” Jas pulled to a stop in front of store that sent a slight shiver down her spine… Victoria’s Secret.
“What the hell?”
“Oh come on, I saw what you answered the door in” Jas grinned brightly. “Sports bra and a pair of boxers? Too boring, to dull… so mannish. So let’s get you something interesting, lively, sexy even.”
Practically being dragged in, Neph followed Jas as she grabbed things off the rack and handed them back to her. “Lace… maybe, decently see you being a red person… maybe Lavender? Nah… ooh maroon, that would look good on you.”
“This is just floss and gauze.”
“No, it’s a negligee, and I think it looks rather nice, here take this as well.” Another item was passed to her.
Looking at the growing pile of lacy things that would barley equate to a tank top worth of cloth. Neph was then shoved into a changing room as Jas happily proclaimed. “No coming out till you try all of it, got it?”
Muttering she started changing, trying on each item with varying degrees of success, while others… others looked like they would snap is she just breathed in them. Grumbling she threw those to one side and looked at some of the other stuff. “What the hell is the point of this crap any how?” she muttered.
“Weeeell, to look Sexy for Light? Which by the way, you pull off veeery well”
Turning around, she saw Jas’s head poking into the change room. Letting out a growl she shoved her out before pausing and looking in the mirror.
Jas did have a point… she didn’t look half bad…
Shaking her head she got dressed and picks up the lingerie, muttering she stepped out to see Jas leaving with a few bags, quickly heading to the counter she put down a hand full of items and handed over her card, the sales assist smiling, her expression slightly glassy. “How may I help you?”
“Yeah, paying for this stuff?”
The sales assist blinked, her expression slowly returning to normal. “Pay? Oh, right.” Flushing slightly she rang up a bill, the total number making Neph wince slightly.
Swiping her car,  Neph finished the payment and chased after Jas, catching her as she dodged into hair salon. “What did you do to that sales assistant?”
Jas gave a slightly confused look, then smirked. “Well, it’s not like I can buy anything here, they don’t recognise any of my cards… down side of being a bad girl I guess, so I just… nudged her mind a bit. Now come along, we’re going to get your hair done.”
Her train of thought derailed by the mention of her hair, Neph blinked stupidly. “What’s wrong with it?”
“Split ends and looks like brown hay.”
“Why is it important?”
Jas gave Neph a look of pure disbelief. “You really don’t know much, do you?”
“I was created in a tank, in a lab, less than a year ago, then fired into Pretoria with a half formed personality left to figure out everything on my own… so yeah, I don’t know much.”
“Well then, consider this a lesson on 'Girl Stuff.” Her face splitting into an even wider grin, she dragged Neph in to the hair salon, the women behind the counter getting a slightly odd grin on their faces as they stared at them.
Like some sort of zombie. Neph mused. This will not end well.
Getting pressed into a free seat, several women surrounded her, scissors, combs and other instruments in hand.
Oh crap. Closing her eyes, she heard Jas snicker as the women went to work.
Staggering in her front door, Neph made a bee line for the couch and collapsed onto it, half a dozen bags falling from her arms and she let out a long sigh of exhaustion. An excited bark echoed as her pug Franz struggled onto the couch and yapped, his squished face pulled into a look of puppy glee.
Jas lent over the couch and scratched his head. “See Neph, today was fun, wasn’t it?”
“I’m tired, my hair feels freaky and I have a pile of clothes I will probably never wear…”
“But it was fun.”
Letting out a slight grumble. Neph lent back and stretched. “It was different… not bad… but what the hell was that crap they put in my hair?”
“It was a revitalising shampoo and conditioner, made to bring a lustrous shine to your hair. Makes you look less like a tomboy and more like a lady, Light might like that."
“Between you, my sisters and my new in-law… everyone seems to want to lend a hand with that.”
“Maybe because it’s fun to watch you?”
She managed to bite her tongue before a snappy comment slipped pass. “We’ll see.” Rolling her shoulder, she looked back. “So why are you still…” looking around, she noticed that Jas was now gone, not a single trace. “I fucking hate it when Widows pull that shit.” Looking back she saw Franz half in a bag, snuffling around.
“Get out of that!” she cried reaching over to grab him, he let out an excited bark and took off, bottling for the front door some one had left hanging wide open. Jumping after him, she made a mad dash after the dog, swearing as she went. Last time Franz got loose in the base it took the best part of day to find where he went.
She reached the door and ploughed straight into the someone. “Whoa, you chasing this?” blinking she looked at Light grinning at her, holding Franz in one hand… and something particularly lacy hanging from the dog’s mouth.
“Yes, I was chasing that dog and yes that is something of mine in its mouth, any questions?” She said, grabbing her dog.
She walked back over to the couch and collapsed, earning a slight chuckle from Light. “What’s so funny?” she grumbled to him.
“You look like you’ve run a lap of Paragon.”  He said, pushing some bags aside before droping on the couch next to her. “Or you shopped till you literately dropped.”
“You try chasing after a Fortunata that keeps sticking you with the bill.” She grumbled again. “I must have blown most of my pay on this crap and what she got…. God even knows if I’ll even wear half of it.”
He looked into one of the bags, blinking slightly. “Depends… you tying to catch a cold or something?”
Rolling her eyes she asked. “So any reason why you’re here? Besides poking my stuff?”
Light Chuckled. “Just seeing if you were up for anything tonight?”
Neph let out a low groan. “After today, all I want to do is laze in front of the TV with a Pizza and maybe tonight’s game; want to see how Yankees are doing.”
“Room for one more then?”
In the back of her head, a little voice not linked to any of her AI’s let out a happy squeal. Ignoring she gave a lop sided shrug. “Sure, but your paying for your own pizza.”
Shrugging, he stretched his legs out as he got comfortable. “Sure, just means that next time we spar, you’ll have to work a little harder.”
“Why?”
“Well, you eat stuff like then don’t work off the calories, you’ll start taking on a shape similar to your little sister.” He smirked as she threw a pillow at his head, a slight grin on her face.
Grabbing the remote she turned the TV on and settled back, her eyes for a moment catching the bags on the floor. They could wait. She mused. Now, time to sit back and enjoy a moment of sanity and calm.

Muttering she started changing, trying on each item with varying degrees of success, whiles others… (Recomend while, not whiles)

“Well then, consider this a lesson on “Girl Stuff.” (Recomend 'Girl Stuff'." or 'Girl Stuff.'")

“I was different… (It, not I)

“Maybe because it’s fun to watch you?” (Or seeing you being so clueless makes them just wanna reach out and hug you and love you and give you pointers!)

grab him, he (recommend a particple such as but he or as he)

She reached the door and ploughed straight into the figure at her door. (recomend rephrasing to loose the second door)

pushing some bags aside before dropped (verb agreement, use pushed and dropped or pushing and dropping)

He Chuckled. “Just seeing if you were up for anything tonight?” (to many he's and she's. replace about 1 in 4 with a Light or Neph so we dont forget who's having this conversation)

“Well, you eat stuff like than and don’t work off the calories, (awkward phrasing. recommend 'eat stuff like that then' or 'eat like that then' instead)

catching the backs (think you mean bags, not backs)

Now that the grammatical nits are out of the way... Dawww. Though there isn't really that much about learning how to unwind so far. If this is just the first scene or so, that's okay. If this is basically complete, consider retitling it.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Err.... can we keep the editing sujestions to PM's or something?

It's kind of depresing after spending a month on a fic, only to have it poked and prodded like that

I'd say if you want that, indicate it in the piece when you post it.  Because traditionally, comments are public... and I daresay most of us who post stories here like it that way.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

Well after some edits... there may be a second part.

*thumbs up.gif*

NO QUARTER!!!

Atlas Park

Legendary Dojo

Neph sat cross legged on the floor, trying unsuccessfully to meditate, for the tenth time that day.
Letting out a tired sigh she slumped onto her back and starred up at the roof, she needed some other way of unwinding, to work of the stress of her job, dealing with her family (something that the universe seemed to be forcing her to do) and her trips to her shrink.
He had suggested medication, but after she threaten to put his head through his desk if he drugged her, he quickly offered several alternate medicine choices, meditation was towards the end, but even after getting pointers from Light, she was still failing.
Closing her eyes she contemplated trying again when she heard the sound of small feet running across the dojo floor, before a large weight dropped on her gut, knocking the breath from her. Eye’s flying open she saw Franz sitting on her stomach, his squished face pulled into a look of puppy dog glee.
Coughing as she tried to get her breath back, she heard some one run in. “Shit, how is that little tubby bastard so fast?”
Looking over she saw Light come in, he paused to look at her as she tried to catch her breath, then to the dog sitting on her, panting happily as he barked at him.
“Sorry Neph, thought you were home, so opened the door and he bolted, you okay?” He asked, kneeling next to her and offering his hand.
Wheezing she managed to push Franz off and sit up. “I have had worse.” Taking Lights hand, she climbed up. “Just ruined my half ass attempt at meditation, that’s all.”
“Still having trouble with it?”
Neph let out a long sigh. “Yeah, I’m running out of relaxation ideas, there are a few left…” she could feel her self blushing as one that Lights primal counterpart mentioned came to mind. “But I’m holding off on them for now.”
“Some sort of extreme treatment or something?”
“Uh… yeah, something like that.” she muttered climbing to her feet.
“So what have you tried then?” Light asked, scooping up Franz.
She lead him back to her apartment, rattling off each relaxation techniques, not noticing Light slowly growing thoughtful till after she shoved Franz back into the apartment and closed the door.
“How about sparing?” he asked.
“Sparing?”
“Sure, helps me unwind.”
She mused on it, a few minor bouts would be fun… and a small part of her mind pointed out that it would also have Light hot and sweaty in close contact… not the level of contact it wanted, but damn near close enough.
“Worth a try. When?”
Lights grin spread. “Meet me at the Talos arena in half an hour and dress warmly.”
Nodding as he left, Neph started musing what he had in mind.

^later^

Talos Island Arena.
Now I know what he meant about dressing warmly. Shivering slightly, Neph cast her gaze around the arena Light had selected, some sort of arctic cavern, ice boulders littering the floor, several arena drones hovering around to provide enough light for the combatants.
Looking over to him, she almost felt like swearing as she saw him in his usual light pants, tank top and vest, acting as if it was a nice summer day. Turning around he walked over and smirked. “You ready then?”
“I-I-I feel like I’m about to freeze my ass off.” She managed through chattering teeth.
“Don’t worry, You’ll warm up soon enough.”
Muttering she made it to the staging area, concentrating as layer upon layer of protective energy fields forming around her while she waited for the count down to start.
An electronic beep echoed through the cavern, as a drone hovered next to her, a small display showing the rules of the match, timed match, audience allowed, several other minor things she didn’t bother about as she started to roll her shoulders.
It let out another beep. “Match starting in three… two… one.” An air horn blasted as Neph ran forward, ducking amongst the ice as she adjusted her belt again, the light bending around her to render her all but invisible to the naked eye.
Gritting her teeth she scanned around, looking for a tell tail flicker or scattering of snowflakes that would give away his position, while she was sure she could hit harder than him, Light was a lot faster than her, and in a fist fight, quantity could easily out do quality.
Ducking around an ice bolder, she swore and threw herself to the ground as a ball of Ki energy flew by, tearing a massive groove in the wall behind her. Not waiting for him to get off a second shot, she leap in the general direction of the blast, her fist surrounded by a crackling aura as she smashed into the ground, failing to strike anything.
                                                                              [{ Ice Fight - Jeff Williams -  Red vs. Blue (Revelation Soundtrack) }]

Out the corner of her eye she spotted a flicker and started rolling away as the ice next to her seemed to detonate, showering the surrounding area in freezing shards as she scrabbled to her feet. Swinging blindly, grinning as she heard a gasp as one of her wild blows struck him in the gut, momentarily winding him.
But her minor victory was short lived as he started drawing energy around himself, swinging both fist down in a massive two handed blow, sending a shockwave out that knocked her down and sent her sliding across the floor. Slamming against a bolder, she leapt to her feet, quickly launching into a counter attack.
Her fist blurred as she went on the assault, every second blow seeming to miss him by inches. Shattering the ice where she hit, but after a few minutes of hit and miss, she became aware of a low groaning noise.
Looking up she saw massive cracks spider webbing up along the wall and roof, her body reacting before her mind finished processing the fact that they were now in the middle of a cave-in. chucks of ice rained down, each one shattering as it hit the ground, sparing her with frozen needles.
She was wondering whether Light was okay when he dove under one block and swung at her, seemingly oblivious to the chaos around him as he forced her on the defence. His fist were almost a glowing haze as he pushed her back, at the same time effortlessly dodging the falling ice… but she still had some tricks up her sleaves.
As one of the massive blocks thundered into the ground next to her, Neph stepped behind it and punched it, sending it sliding across the ground towards him, laughing as he jumped out of the way, just as she dove at him, her arms wrapping around him and pinning him to the ground, a grin threatening to split her face in two.
Panting she couldn’t help but gloat. “Looks like I win.”
There was a slight glint in his eyes. “Don’t be so sure.” He pulled his head back and jerked forward, causing her to flinch as she expected his forehead to smear her nose across her face.
So it came as a complete shock as he stole a kiss.
She wasn’t exactly sure what happened next, one second she had him in a bear hug with him kissing her, then next she was on her back, arms pined under his knees, a smirk on his face.
A slight battered arena drone floated over, letting out a low whistle. “Times up. Winner, Light’s Retribution.”
Standing up, he gave her his hand and helped her up. “So, did that help you relax?”
As Neph brushed the ice off, she couldn’t help but smile. He was right, she did feel a bit more relaxed now, if bruised to hell and back. “Yeah, but now I feel the overpowering urge to find somewhere warm to curl up till I stop hurting… was the roof meant to fall in like that?”
“No... But then I don’t think anyone had your fighting style in mind when they made this place.”  He wrapped one arm around her and lead her to the exit.
Looking around, she slumped against him. “Home again home again trittiy trot.” She managed to get out past a giant yawn, the fight obviously taking a bit out of her.
“You look like you might not pull of the tritity trot part.” With out even waiting for a reply, Light scooped her up and carried her out. “Any problems?”
Unable to keep a grin off her face, Neph draped one arm around his shoulder. “Not at all… not at all.”

Atlas Park
Legendary base

Neph opened the door to her apartment with a sigh as she walked in, she had another long ans shitty day dealing with the higher ups in long bow, then another trip to Cimoria to help stabilise the time line for the billionth time, another half a dozen bruises from getting dog piled by sweaty Romans that hadn't bathed in what smelled like decades, another day dealing with dust, sweat and blood.

She knelt slightly as Franz ran up to her, barking happily as he leapt up, trying yo get a pat on the head, his near bottomless spring of energy bringing a slight smile to her face. “Down boy, not feeling all that energetic right now.” She muttered to him.

He gave her a slightly pathetic look as she rubbed his head. “Can you be a good boy and watch the door while I take a long soak in the tub? There might be a treat in it for you.” The dog let out an excited yelp before sitting next to the door, bug eyes staring intently, as if daring it to open.

With a slight laugh, she entered the kitchenette and grabbed herself a glass of wine before making her way upstairs to the bathroom. Toeing open the door, she placed the drink on the sink as she started to strip down, many joints shouting their protest as she filled the tub.

Climbing into the tub as it filled, she let out a happy sigh and turned on the TV at the foot of the tub, a slightly childish grin spreading across her face the theme song of her guilty pleasure started to play.

./` My little pony, my little pony...

Laying back she sighed happily, giving some of the bottles her sisters had given her experimental pokes, something about bath salts helping to sooth her mussels or some shit. With a shrug she tipped some of it in, before laying back and grabbing her drink. “Now to sit back and-”

As if summoned by her peaceful thoughts, there was a knock from the front door and Franz started barking.

“-unwind... Fucking hell.” She muttered, sitting up as she reached over the side of the tub, grabbing her pants and rummaging for her phone. Pulling it out, she taped the screen, calling up the feed from one of the security cameras that over looked the apartment block.

On the slightly grainy image she saw the familiar broad shouldered figure of Light standing at the door. Muttering slightly, she muted the TV and called him. “Light, I have had long and crappy day, you better have a good reason for rocking up.”

She could almost her him thinking on the other end of the line before replying. “Visiting my girlfriend after she's a long day, seeing if she needs a hand with something to help unwind?”

She couldn't keep the grin off her face. “Come in then, doors unlocked, but you'll have to wait a bit for me to come down stairs.”

“Oh? Whys that?”

“I'm in the bath butt naked, that’s why.”

There was a moment of silence on the phone before he replied. “Ahh, good a reason as any.”

As he hung up she heard Franz let out an excited bark and Light trying to get the small dog to calm down. Leaning back in the tub she smirked picking up her glass and unmuting the TV.

With her bath over, she warped a towel around herself, she exited the bathroom and looked over the balcony to see light sitting on the couch, lifting Franz like a bar bell, the dogs face stretched into a look of demented glee.

“Oi, my dog isn't a bit of exercise equipment you know.” She called down.

Sitting Franz down, he looked up and chuckled. “You were taking so long, I had to keep myself amused some how.”

Heading down the stairs she vaulted over the couch, landing next to Light and startling Franz, before the dog leapt on her and started to try and lick her face. “Down boy, I just got clean damn it.”

Laughing as he picked up the remote and turned the TV on, he wrapped one arm around her. “So how bad was your bad day?”

She sighed, the relaxing effect of the bath draining away. “After that whole shit storm with Malaise, there are rumours flying that Miss Liberty will be forced to step down, my division is rumoured to be downsized or possibly even disbanded... and if that happens I'm back in the Zig for a few years”

Taking a breath, she continued. “Which lead to me going Cimoria to blow off some steam... and that resulted in working with one of the scimitars.” She ran a hand though still damp[ hair. “Now I know why the Sabers don't trust them... If the one I saw was anything to go by, they are fucking messed up.”

Giving her a tight squeeze, he nodded. “Sounds like a shit day... was the Scimitar that bad?”

“She was a psychic with no respect for others privacy... like dealing with a fucking seer.”

She felt him twitch slightly, He was born and raised in Praetoria, he understood the horrible sensation of someone's mind poking through yours, testing, checking. She drew her knees to her chin. “So that’s my shit day in a nut shell.”

“Hmmm, you know what you need?” he rumbled.

“Many stiff drinks?”

“Nope.” he lifted her easily onto his lap, getting a slight yelp of surprise, then placed his callous hands on her shoulders and started to rub. “A simple massage to make you forget about your worries.”

She would of made a snappy comeback, but all higher brain functions had decided to go out the window for the foreseeable future.

Hers eyes snapped open as she realised she was moving. Looking around she saw that Light was carrying her to her bedroom. “Wha happened?” she asked, her brain slowly getting back up to speed.

“You drifted off, that’s what happened.” he chuckled. “So I'm putting you to bed before you drool on me.”

“I don't drool.” she muttered slightly, quickly running the back of her hand over her mouth as he sat her on her bed, letting out a yawn she looked around. “So now what?”

“It's something like twelve at night, so the doors to the base are probably locked for the night. Guess I can crash here for the night.”

Throwing of the towel, she climbed under the sheets, smirking slightly as she notices Lights gaze linger. “Well there is the couch or my bed, I offer the spare room.... but that’s more a mini workshop now days.”

He raised an eyebrow. “Your bed?”

“Light, after today sex is the last thing on my mind, what I would like is something to cuddle and make me feel better and seeing as I had no childhood, there for no childhood toys, that just leaves my boyfriend or my dog.... and Franz has bad breath.”

He gave a light chuckle as he kicked off his boots and sat on the bed next to her. “This does break your “Bad ass bitch” image a bit.”

“Isn't that what you wanted, me to be less of a bitch?” she quipped.

Laughing he climbed under the sheets, warping his arms around her. “Well, being oversize teddy is the least I can do for you.” he kissed her brow as she reached over him and flicked the lights off.

“Thank you.” she muttered, a feeling of safety and relaxation filling her as she drifted off.

D'AWWWWWWWWW

NO QUARTER!!!

Tempted to do a "morning after" follow up, what would her neighbours say?

wait... her neighbours are a ninja, a kitsnue and preat nogi...

*plots teh evilz.*

I will second the Dawww.

The neighbors can't be thinking anything too strange took place, all the thumping and grunting happened in Talos

(then again I've been out of the loop rp and story-wise, I have no idea what the neighbors think)

one minor correction:

"This does break you "Bad ass bitch" image a bit."

you might want to change it to:

"This does break your 'Bad ass bitch' image a bit."
-Terry
-----
"so listen up boy, or pornography starring your mother will be the second worst thing to happen to you today"
TF2: Spy

I think her neighbours in the legendary Apartments Are QB, ex host of Nogi, Hilltopper, Praet Nogi and Misty Hanover, ninja.

If there is not a rumour milling, they will probably fix that Tongue