Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Will Die 6 is up
Who Will Die 6 is up
 Play it!
*Spoiler!*

Penny Yin is in it and...whoa..she's now badass! You'll see what I mean when you give it a whirl.

Well, we knew she had potential given other lines along the way like "We'd need a Sister Psyche... or maybe Penny Yin"
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Penelope Yin is, from what I understand, the most egregiously overpowered Psychic on the planet. She just doesn't know it yet. Seems fitting she gets to take a Level in Badass after being Creeped on by the Lost, Clockwork King, and Rikti.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

Gir: * finishes part 6, is contemplating becoming Emo*

Laz: Sugar, Stat!

Is it just me, or have they gotten sneaky. At the moment this isn't who will die, its who WONT. (Numina, on accounta she's already! Synapse... technically not but could qualify as having had his confidence shattered by the events of 1 and reconsidering, Aurora... maybe not dead, but maybe not all in her right mind now after the events of 4)

NO QUARTER!!!
Who's Dying Now? >:P
G'day folks.
And here is where the CoH dev team finally succeeds in mostly alienating me from any affection for the CoH game anymore. >Tongue
I'd like to call this thread "Who's dying now?" >Tongue
[SPOILERS AHEAD! You have been warned!
-
-
-
-
-
-
What I'm about to say probably won't be a surprise to the folks who know that I have a great deal of 'affection' for the character of Sister Psyche. The fact that I have both fan artwork of her, as well as two of the inked production pages from the CoH comic, should indicate to even the most casual observer that I am a bit biased when it comes to her. ;]
So.....What I am now is VERY pissed off at their writing/development team for, once again, screwing with a character that I like very much, and this time killing her for a very contrived "story point". >Tongue (Much the way I despise some of the "New 52" redesigns - Power Girl...WTFH?!?! - but I won't go there. >_Tongue
So, we reach the end of SSA 6, Psyche's power is suddenly going haywire and broadcasting to everyone in Paragon, presumably on the verge of killing them. Except, strangely, Manticore is unaffected - what, he suddenly developed psi-immunity? And us, the players, aren't affected or included in the cut scene? So he pulls out his bow and shoots her, killing her.
And that is where I goddamn well really would like to get my hands on their #$%#$#%^$! writers. Psyche's power is psionic, meaning her mind has to be active for it to work.
SO KNOCK HER OUT, DAMMIT!!! >_<
You're telling me *Manticore*, their freaking 'Green Arrow/Batman' clone, doesn't have trick 'stun' arrows?! Knock her out, and keep her sedated until you get her OUT of the #$%#$%@! booby-trapped ruins. There'd be more than enough heroes and/or safeguards to keep her from harming anybody outside of there. But, nooooo. They killed her. And I gather that Penelope Yin is supposed to take her place, story-wise. Whoopee. I don't particularly like her as a character.
CoH had already been going in directions I wasn't happy with - incarnate raiding, for example - instead of developing more story stuff. I greatly enjoyed 'First Ward', and I wish that they'd have done more of that. Instead, nope, more incarnate grinding. Well, I'm sorry. If I wanted to grind raids out, I'd have gone and played WoW. I played the Incarnate game for four weeks straight of very long evenings, and by the end of that four weeks, was both disgusted and disillusioned by a variety of factors.
I haven't made my mind up what I'm doing yet - I was primarily ignoring Incarnate anything beyond Alpha slotting. My CoH accounts are still active, but after they roll out their new issue and basically chisel whatever the final fallout from "Who's Dying Now?" into stone, I may just downgrade my account to Free to Play with all the add-ons I've bought and not be in-game very much. (Which will be a shame, because I do miss teaming with you guys...)
Regards,
One Disillusioned and upset MechaDeuce/SkyKnight
Bert V.V.

Run the red side of the arcs as well.

On the one hand, it ties several of the threads together and explains things better... on the other.... it still sets up what is build to be a show down of massive proportions.

The also in SSA6 show at least one 'out' on redside for Sister Psyche... that being the . I do agree with MechaDeuce though... dear old Manti did have a brain-fade moment there: What happened to your stun and knockback arrows?

However, this is a comic universe... death isn't permanent... usually. (Why don't the Medi-port beacons work?) The ritual was suppose to only be temporary... and well, there were a few points highlighted on redside over the series.

My Character reaction:

Jelidan on Beta, was yet again moved to silence... and again vowing vengeance.

Redback... No one plays her for a fool and DW had better keep running.

and my non-playing villain: RedThorns: He's sitting in his villa, sipping his wine and laughing his head off.

My real problem with the whole arc is that Darrin Wade is a nobody. He shows up for one arc aside from the SSA (and a redside arc at that, which means people who have never gone rogue or played a villain will have no idea who he is), and he proves himself to be nothing more than a mid-level dick. There needed to be more of him in the main game before the SSAs came along to make him an appropriate villain for this piece.
As for Penelope, I look at her new look, and all I see is a set of face markings that look an awful lot like a Carnie mask.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

I think the main problem with this is that they're trying a little too hard to build up to a dramatic conclusion. Granted, they may still save their asses with #7, but it seems like they're being a little too sweeping in their story for a evolving story. This would be quite fine in a single-player self-contained sort of story, but when it comes to integrating it in with the larger world and story, I think they reached beyond their grasp. They did a great job with the death of Statesman, and I can understand killing off one major character in a build up to an epic confrontation, but two is really hard to sell.

I'll just hope that #7 proves that Psyche was only Mostly Dead.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

I'm pretty much expecting everyone who died in this story line will come back at the end. First rule of comic book deaths, after all (from Marvel, I think): you have to see the body, you have to have a doctor pronounce them dead, and you have to see a funeral -- or they're not dead and can come back.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

I'm expecting States to stay dead. The dude is in heaven with his long lost wife. He's at peace!

And yeah, poor Manti clearly wasn't thinking when he killed Psyche. She'd been turned into a psychic bomb, and he aimed for the chest? He should've aimed for the head. Not his fault, he was suffering as well, but still.

Matrix Dragon Wrote:I'm expecting States to stay dead. The dude is in heaven with his long lost wife. He's at peace!

And yeah, poor Manti clearly wasn't thinking when he killed Psyche. She'd been turned into a psychic bomb, and he aimed for the chest? He should've aimed for the head. Not his fault, he was suffering as well, but still.
 Really MD? That's some seriously poor taste in commentary.

He didn't even aim for the chest. That was a gut shot, which guarantees a long and painful demise if she's not gotten to a medical facility immediately.
Regarding Psyche being Mostly Dead, I would remind the forum that Manticore has killed a member of his team before to save them. In the comics, he shot Statesman to save him from a villain (Prometheus?) and then had Numina do her mojo to bring him back. That is likely to happen again.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Also as someone commented about its certainly possible that she could have done a mind ride to another host. But States? Yeah I'm pretty sure he's finally getting the rest he deserves. He didn't get taken out in a way I would have felt better about (Ie:fighting or doing some sort of heroic sacrifice) but at least he's got some peace now.

I'm thinking Sis Psy might have hid in some ones head, she went through all the trouble of saving the shard of NotAuroa, so maybe she's in a crystal in the Thorn base.... or maybe in her husbands head?

My only problem over all with WWD is that each arc is only 3 missions long.... which makes me worried that part seven will feel a bit rushed or cramped.

Terrenceknight Wrote:
Matrix Dragon Wrote:I'm expecting States to stay dead. The dude is in heaven with his long lost wife. He's at peace!

Really MD? That's some seriously poor taste in commentary.

I was pretty much referring to what Eb said in the post after yours. Manti gave her a rather painful death, and accidentally increased the odds of the 'bomb' going off before she died. Given what he had to do, it's easy to understand why he wasn't thinking clearly. Poor bastard.

Well the writers sure as heck should not have scripted an arrow through the head, through the heart? I can certainly agree with that as it would be a quick death. But the head is more something a cold executioner would do not a husband who cared for his wife would do. Through the head? oh f**k no that's just wrong and frankly an insult ontop of injury (or death).

So she dies slowly and painfully because of him. Even more tragic for both of them.

(I've said it before and I'll say it again: Fridge logic can make scenes far more horrible then the writers intended, which for scenes like this is really saying something)

I am so looking forward to breaking every bone in Darren Wades body.

Terrenceknight Wrote: But States? Yeah I'm pretty sure he's finally getting the rest he deserves. He didn't get taken out in a way I would have felt better about (Ie:fighting or doing some sort of heroic sacrifice) but at least he's got some peace now.
That pretty much sums up the way I feel about it too Terr.  It might be a scripting artifact or limitations of the cutscene generator (I've hear them claim its a real hackjob and barely works at all) but it would have been better if at the start of the cutscene you saw, say, the last of a large number of enemies falling and then States steps too close to the wazziz and gets trapped.

NO QUARTER!!!

I duuno, while I wish States had gotten to kick a little more ass before the end, for the most part I liked it. There he was, the bastard that murdered his daughter in front of him, and he didn't betray his beliefs, or hers for that matter. He fully intended to bring Wade in to face justice. In short, he truly was a good man.

This series has really shown the difference between Statesman and Manticore, now that I think about it.

Manticore is looking more and more like a guy who's just in over his head and reacting to things without thinking.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

So, chances of Psyche staying dead have just lowered to barely above zero.

From the Dillemma Diabolique trial guide on the official site (emphasis mine)

Quote:The Sentinel has a variety of powers that channel the frigid, dark energy of death. It also has gained abilities derived from the prisoners recently absorbed into Mot. These abilities buff it and grant it special powers that trigger randomly throughout the battle. One of these prisoners is even trapped within the flesh of the Sentinel itself, powering it directly. The abilities the Sentinel acquires include:

Back Alley Brawler or Mynx will boost the Sentinel's Damage and Recharge Rate. The bonus power they grant is a Targeted AoE Fear.

Manticore or Aurora Borealis will boost the Sentinel's Range and Chance to Hit. The bonus power they grant is a Targeted AoE Weaken, which lowers Healing, Recharge, Range and Chance to Hit.

Positron or Valkyrie will boost the Sentinel's Defense and Regeneration. The bonus power they grant is a Targeted AoE Damage Debuff.

Numina or Swan will boost the Sentinel's Chance to Hit and Range. The bonus power they grant is a PBAoE Damage Field that will heal the Sentinel as long as he remains inside it.

Sister Psyche or Luminary will boost the Sentinel's Regeneration and Resistance. The bonus power they grant is a Targeted AoE Damage Pulse.

Synapse or Ms. Liberty will boost the Sentinel's Recharge Rate and Damage. The bonus power they grant is a Targeted AoE Endurance Drain.

Citadel or Infernal will boost the Sentinel's Resistance and Defense. The bonus power they grant is a Targeted AoE Hold.
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."

Umm, I could argue that point Ops... NOthing says they cant grab her dying spirit in some way. After all we see them trying to sacrifice the remaining spirits in current Dark Astoria on a fairly regular basis

NO QUARTER!!!