Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Examples of some COH charactes of mine done in CO (and a couple of others)

As I mentioned elsewheres, I've camped "The Legendary" if that name fits better. Either way, invites can get going.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

Sooooo, trying to get CO to work, fully installed it, but every time I try to launch it, I get this.

Pather error, the patchclietn got a message while it was in a state of no response function.

Any idea how I fix that? o.O

Not sure what to tell ya friend DS. I downloaded and am running mine through Steam

The only thing I can think of is a bad install. I'd try uninstalling, and re-downloading, in case it was a bad file transfer. Aggravating, but since you're only just starting, why make it more convoluted than it has to be?
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

Downloaded off steam... same thing >.

Hey DS, can you screenshot the error and post that instead of trying to transcribe it?  That might help us diagnose it.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

Mm. Lifetime gold for 2 years' fees? I'm very tempted to just drop the $300 come December, because I really don't want to play crippled for longer than I have to...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

On that note - should mention - Gold Subscription (whether lifetime or monthly) gets a stipend of the money points in the game. (Formerly Cryptic Points, or CP, now changed to PWE "Zen")

[Image: error.jpg]

I have a lifetime Gold subscription to Champions Online, which I bought...I forget, roughly when DCUO came out. Yeah, I hated DCUO so badly I decided to give money to the competition.

More broadly, though - like many of you, I knew if I was going to play CO, I wanted it to be with Freeform and not Archetype. Aside from being able to replicate particular concepts, I genuinely enjoy the game's combat and build system. Cryptic also keeps it up to date, with power tweaks, addition of new powers, and so on. They still do this, so it's good ongoing support that I approve of.

The second reason I went lifetime Gold was the RP community. There's a good one. CORP is the OOC global channel, and Champions RP is the in-character channel, treated as an official radio frequency used by superheroes. The folks from CORP and other RPers are pretty awesome. A lot are former Virtue and Union players. That community is still in place, and going strong. CORP and Champions RP are typically private channels, an unfortunately necessary move to prevent griefing in more recent days. CORP is now temporarily open for anyone to join without needing a mod invite, as a welcome to people shifting over from City of Heroes. Champions RP still needs you to contact a CORP channel mod. http://championsonlineroleplayers.shivtr.com/ I recommend CORP. They're good people.

However, the final reason I went lifetime Gold was...well, at the time, CO was releasing Adventure Packs and then later Comic Series stories - a cut above the existing writing in the game's normal quests, and drawing more heavily on Champions RPG sourcebook lore. But the last major story release was in December last year, and we're not likely to see anything new until next year at the earliest. 2012 has only really seen the Alert system - bite-sized short missions, not complex storytelling. This is a major turn-off for me.

TL;DR - Freeform is worth going Gold for, and I'll design builds for you if you need help. The RP community in Champions is excellent, on par with Virtue. But the ongoing and future release of good story arc content? Prospects aren't good right now.
-- Acyl

DS, what you might want to do is fire a letter to the CO support staff. We can only guess, but I'm betting they've seen stuff like this before. They may have a simple fix.
---

Fixed, a friend gave me his files and it worked from that.

Ah, ok. I was thinking about that graphic, and it sounded like the "patcher" was probably the initial load screen which checks the status of the build. It said it had received a response when it wasn't expecting one, which also suggested either a bad patcher, or a corrupted file list. So it wasn't expecting any more files and the PWI server sent one, causing the error.
A stable file copy would fix that, so yes, that makes sense. In hindsight, admittedly. Smile
---

For some reason the name Dark Seraph is not valid, so had to go with Seraph P.I.

[Image: screenshot_2012-09-09-19-53-55.jpg]

... and due to the fact you can't be skinny, DS looks like he has some cleavage going on there.

Might need to do some work >.>

Try using the muscle tone slider and ramp it down closer to minimum (towards the left). Muscle tone slider should be at the top middle of the body sliders. If you do that, it should smooth things out. 

Also - you very much CAN make someone VERY skinny looking. The topmost right-hand slider on the same tab - body mass, I believe- controls that. Again - set that closer to the left-hand end of the slider and see what happens. 

For yuks, slide it ALL the way to the right and see what happens! Big Grin

OH!

And I just realized why Dark Seraph is not valid! 

That's the name of one of the arch villains in the game lore! 

http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Dark_Seraph

He's not been modeled in the game yet officially. But he's part of the lore. And several of his minions are in the game already. 

You're telling me that DS is a supervillain now? :lol

Also, the Powerhouse entrance there looks like a Portal Corp Portal at first glance.

Quote:Matrix Dragon wrote:

Also, the Powerhouse entrance there looks like a Portal Corp Portal at first glance.
Saaaaaaay.... 

Yeah, that's one of the theories in my head lately. Another is a lot simpler, that Millennium and the various distant parts of the world you travel to are simply other parts of a massive world we've never been to before.

One of the first Adventure Pack missions I did was a certain rich snob opening a dimensional portal machine for the first *public* showing. Not hard to think maybe they've had that open a few times before, and people are coming through.
---

As far as building characters go, I remembered there were a couple of people on the CO forums that were good at building templates.
A template is a basic character without any accessories and minimal or skintight clothing that you can use as a base for building your character. The game provides you with templates at the beginning. But many City of Heroes players are put off by the basic proportions that the game provides you, and using the proportion sliders is a little difficult to get a feel for early on, especially coming off of another game that does it differently.
So what I thought was:  How about I commission some templates made that more closely resemble the proportions of the character templates that City of Heroes provides you? You know - the basics, before you start tweaking with the sliders.
So, in City of Heroes, you have -
Male / Female / Huge
And although you have full control of the sliders, the game does provide you with some basic ideas. Within each gender category are basic settings -
Slim
Average
Athletic
Heavy
So I made screengrabs of the City of Heroes character builder at the basic proportions setting window.
I did this for all the type, making front, side and rear turnarounds for the CO forum to look at. 
And asked in my post if someone could make CO templates based on those.
Bluhman posted later in the forum with the following:
Quote:Males
Females
Huges
A few comparisons/observations made between CoX and CO characters (as explained from the perspective of CoX):
  • CO
    characters have comparatively much longer arms compared to CoX. Whereas
    a CO character's closed fist will likely reach about halfway down the
    thigh, CoX only reaches around the top of the leg/lower groin area.
  • CO Characters also have very large hands and feet. Especially with
    feet, which have to be driven entirely down the slider to resemble
    anything from CoX.
  • Related to that, CoX legs are more evenly sized as they go down the
    leg. In comparison, CO legs are much more curved. The same probably
    applies for arms, but if it does, it's not nearly as noticeable.
  • The one thing that is completely unchangeable between the two games:
    The neck area of CO characters is much more curved. CoX characters
    (particularly males) have a much flatter shoulder line in comparison.
    There pretty much is nothing I can do about that.
Copy the jpeg images found at the above set of links into your Champions Online screenshot folder.
Then go in-game and go to a tailor and open up the character creator (or create a new character). At the bottom of the character creator are buttons that say "Save" and "Load" much like what COH has.
Click load and you'll get a subscreen with a list. Find the above template images and call it up.
Now instead of the game's default proportions. You can have something closer to CIty of Heroes to start with (in theory).
Here's a few extra templates that aren't based on COX but that you may find useful nonetheless:
Templates

Bluhman is a good CO designer. Look for his posts and character archive in the costumes threads. He's got some really good ones.
I hope this helps you guys out.

Okay Bob I think I mentioned I could help you out with Eva? Here's a start.
Keep in mind that the little "Comic Book Cover" jpeg? That's your costume file. If you want to test this costume out - you'll need to put that into your screenshots folder. The game reads the CC data from the embedded code.
I got as close as I could. Some of the bits on the costume you'll have to actually buy extra packs for. When you load the costume in the CC, it'll tell you which items you'll need to buy.
If/when you make her, there are two Non-Freeform options that would fit her style well if you want to test them out. I briefly have made her as a "Devastator" AT just to get the screen shots and a save of the costume file. That's the equivalent of Heavy Weapons over in COH. You could also make her as "The Blade" archetype. Which is more of a standard sized sword wielder. Either works. I made characters that were free form but using the AT powers progression as general guides and they work quite well. "The Blade" relies more on DEX and avoidance to mitigate damage. The Devastator is more of a Brute type build - leaning towards Tankiness.
 [Image: Costume_Aariny_Evangelia_CC_Comic_Page_B...296853.jpg]
[Image: Eva_close_Up.jpg]
[Image: Eva_sword.jpg]

Morganni Wrote:Logan, I seem to recall you offering to try rendering people's characters in CO.

How about this one?

That's Iris Kazami, who has kind of been on my mind lately because I've been playing as one of her mothers in Rakuen Revolution. And I've never really been happy with her costume... but if CO can emulate it fairly well, it can probably handle a lot of other things I'd want to do too.

Of course, that's only part of the question. The other part is... are there any powers that actually look like using plants in that game?

-Morgan. Also, if that looks like a plug, it's because it's a plug.
Okay, this wasn't all that difficult actually.
[Image: Costume_Aariny_Iris_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_405300862.jpg]
[Image: Iris_01.jpg]
[Image: Iris_02.jpg]
It's a Nemesis Plot!
Yo dog - I heard you like Nemesis! So I added Nemesis for your Nemesis so you can Nemesis plot while you Nemesis plot! 
[Image: Costume_Aariny_RobotRonin_CC_Comic_Page_...304235.jpg]
[Image: Nemesis_02.jpg]
[Image: Nemesis_01.jpg]

Wow... Gorgeous Nemesis robot.
---