Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AMON CARTER - PHAROAH OF MARS!
This is a character that is a shared Nemesis between me and one of my friends in both RL and the game. 
But you need a bit of backstory for this, because the humor of the character started as a private joke. So let me explain - 
I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area of North Texas. And one of the local historical figures in Fort Worth was one Amon G. Carter
There's a link to his wiki article up there, but all you really need to know is - he was a rich entrepreneur who became a philanthropist in his later years and loved Fort Worth. There's a museum named after him. As well as a few place names, like roads. Etc. 
Okay now - to quote Bill Cosby, "I told you that story to tell you this one." ^_^
The above mentioned friend Corey (who is part of our regular PnP gaming crew and also plays in CO) hails originally from Oklahoma. So knew NOTHING about the local history. 
So shortly after he and his wife moved down here permanently, I was driving them up to a local convention, and the freeway we're on has a roadsign that prominently displays -

"Amon Carter Blvd - Exit Right" 
And as Corey described it later, "I didn't know how Amon was pronounced (it's pronounced similarly to "Aaron") so my mind latched onto knowledge of classic pulp sci-fi - specifically Edgar Rice Burroughs - and Barsoom... and Amon sounded in my head like an Egyption name... two ideas collided forcefully... and out came..." 
"AMON CARTER - PHAROAH OF MARS!!"
He called this out in an absolutely STENTORIAN voice, pronouncing the "Amon" like "Ah-moon". 
I nearly ran the car off the road I was laughing so hard!! 
So naturally, what is one of the first Nemesis creations he makes? Why none other than - 
Undead Alien Ruler of the Zombies of Mars! 
(Or at least that's what HE says. He could just be nuts.)

Anyway - just saw him pop up in a Nemesis Smash alert and I was thinking, "Oh Yeah! I forgot about him! I should share that with the Legendary folks." So - here we are. ^_^

[Image: AmonCarterPharoahofMars.jpg]

Heh. I like.

Mm. I wonder if I should do an Emperor Norton one of these days...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Makes me wanna try and re-create my Barsoom homage from CoH, Kormal Banth.

Were you the one in the MC zone channel last night complaining about not being allowed to make four-armed characters? I just happened to notice it in passing, whoever it was said that the models were already in the game -- referring to Grond and the grondlings, I presume -- so why couldn't player toons get it?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Probably the same reason we can't use DEMON cultists and other groups for nemesis minions. It's a good idea, but the Nemesis system has received no love since they relocated most of the devs to Neverwinter.
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.