Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Epic AT's in Champions
Epic AT's in Champions
Interesting... They appear to be adding Epic AT's in CO. Their latest plot arc add beings Dr. Destroyer back from plot oblivion to threaten the world again. And to kick it off, they've added an AT that's only playable if you've got a 40th level character. Sound familiar?
Apparently, according to their blog, they plan on adding more Epic AT's to the game in the future. The current one is a sentient machine with tons of offense, probably minimum defense. Sounds like it might be interesting.
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

Yes - Among other things I'm working on in Champions, I'm going to be leveling up the new AT to 40 so that I can make some of it's signature powers available for a couple of my other Freeforms. 
In particular I DEARLY WANT to add ROCKET PUNCH to Robot Ronin's abilities. Even if I have to give up some other attack to do it. Would be SO WORTH IT thematically! 

And BTW - Since it's all about the Rocket Punch (mostly) for me - my Automaton AT is yet another Giant Robot homage - 
MAZINGER! ^_^
[Image: xM9m5zr.png]

Oh - and I already have plans for my upgrades when I can change him to Freeform... 
[Image: sYN4A8A.png]

Aw man, all this chatter about CO and I'm tempted to re-up my sub for it.....

Logan, forshame. You forgot the torso clasp for the Scrander. Boss would laugh at you
In the epic rage of furious thunder
legends create their tales
when the twilight calls and the dark lord falls
our glory will prevail

[Image: strikersetcfinal9_th.jpg]
our glory will prevail

Quote:Drenivian wrote:
Logan, forshame. You forgot the torso clasp for the Scrander. Boss would laugh at you
Is it that yellow "Diamond" that's added to the front of the white/silver mid-section or "belt" that I see in some pics? 
I wasn't sure about it when I was hunting down references because it didn't appear consistently. I looked up "Scrander" and found some more visual reference, but it's still not clear to me how it attaches. Maybe I need to see an actual video of it. 

Mind - I'm pretty sure now that I won't be sticking with those wings anyway - when flying, they FLAP. Ugh... Need to find another solution. 

Yeah, the belt with the yellow diamond is the torso clasp for the Scrander. It was the mid series upgrade, in the original run.

Most series nowadays either use Mazinkaizer (with Kaiser Scrander), or the newer Mazinger show with the God Scrander (IE, the Big Fist Flight unit).
our glory will prevail

our glory will prevail

If you're going to spend money on CO, I'd recommend the lifetime sub. They're at 33% off again right now, so the lifetime is only $200. That's roughly the equivalent of a year and a half of regular play, and they give you prezzies every month. So it zeroes out and pays for itself even faster.
---

The one thing that bugs me in the latest big GM fight is that they don't really understand how to make a big boss fight fun. They give their giant robots an insta-kill death field which spams off every minute or so, and this is supposed to stand in for having a tough fight. They don't seem to understand people would like it more if they had a mountain of hit points and didn't spam "I win" attacks you can't defend against over and over again.
---

Quote:DRAG0NFLIGHT wrote:
The one thing that bugs me in the latest big GM fight is that they don't really understand how to make a big boss fight fun. They give their giant robots an insta-kill death field which spams off every minute or so, and this is supposed to stand in for having a tough fight. They don't seem to understand people would like it more if they had a mountain of hit points and didn't spam "I win" attacks you can't defend against over and over again.
This is, admittedly, something a "different strokes" result. Because I know more than a few people that groan in TSW when enemies are nothing but a mountain of hit points to grind through. TSW's boss fights don't necessarily spam instant-death, but they tend to have area of effect attacks that will nearly kill you (or if you've got a maximum DPS, minimum HP build, completely kill you) if you don't step out of the way.
However, they also telegraph their attacks pretty heavily, so it's more like Battle Maiden from the end of the Apex TF than instant death with no warning. But I know "20 billion HP tank and spank" is generally a more boring fight for me.
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."

A good boss fight should be challenging, not punishing. To that end, throwing in high-damage team-wipers with poor telegraphing or very limited/complicated defenses is the worst thing that can happen. However, providing a mountain of HP for you to button-spam at is not far better. TSW does well in this regard by providing multiple levels of difficulty, introducing key dangerous elements on a fairly step-by-step progression, and providing clear indications of these abilities being used (cast bars and white AoE ground fx). Further, there is a very simple defense for almost every telegraphed attack: Interrupt it, or get out of the way.

I have not seen any of these things in CO. Also, their "Block" ability, in my experience, is fairly misleading. It doesn't seem to help at all against dangerous attacks, and mundane ones you're better off punching face more.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

Admittedly block helps -alot- but its also important to point out that this is coming from someone who plays a character with a defensive passive, If I don't block I will get OHKO'd still but blocking brings it down the telegraphed 'BOOM' attacks to a level that does 3Kish damage which is manageable with some self healing. Ranking up your block will mitigate -much- more damage than you may give credit for.