Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IST in PDF -- but not right away
IST in PDF -- but not right away
This is a copy of a post I just made over in the "Locating IST" thread.

Okay, here's the scoop. SJ and I hammered this out last night in email.
I wrote Steve and asked what it would cost for me to buy back the rights so I could do my own electronic second edition, PDF format. He counteroffered letting SJG actually handle the production and distribution, and I naturally said "yeah".
The main complication to this plan is that SJG has several big projects on its plate right now. The primary one actually works in my favor -- that's their new electronic publishing division called E23 -- intended to do this very thing. (I wasn't even aware that they were trying to set this up, so I know that I must have sounded rather stupid and/or uninformed in my emails... oh, well, I can agonize over that later.) The thing is, it's taking longer to set up than they thought, and SJG can't do the project until E23 is up and running.
So basically, once E23 starts selling stuff, a PDF version of IST will go into the pipeline, with the caveat that I get to bring it up to date and all that. This isn't graven in stone, yet -- I called it a "non-binding handshake" deal, and Steve didn't disagree. But I'll tell you, things are looking very positive.

-- Bob
---------
There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus.
Re: IST in PDF -- but not right away
Bob wrote:
B> The primary one actually works in my favor -- that's their
B> new electronic publishing division called E23 -- intended to
B> do this very thing. (I wasn't even aware that they were
B> trying to set this up, so I know that I must have sounded
B> rather stupid and/or uninformed in my emails... oh, well, I
B> can agonize over that later.)
{smack} I should have told you about that. I knew they were working on that and that using it for out of print stuff was high to middling on thier list, too.
B> The thing is, it's taking longer to set up than they thought

When does it ever take less or even as long as they thought?

B> So basically, once E23 starts selling stuff, a PDF version of
B> IST will go into the pipeline, with the caveat that I get to
B> bring it up to date and all that. This isn't graven in stone,
B> yet -- I called it a "non-binding handshake" deal, and
B> Steve didn't disagree. But I'll tell you, things are looking
B> very positive.
I must be a pessimist, becuase it looks like little has changed tho they are far more likely to get to IST sometime as an E23 project than as an actual reprint. The thing is that AFAICT, E23 can easilly get hung up on SJ's piracy fears (which seem to be very high) and end up taking a very long time to come. I'd have been happier if you had gotten the right back Bob, but I'm glad to see some action anyhow.

Skitz
Re: IST in PDF -- but not right away
Well, here's the thing. I told Steve I'd wait until E23 starts selling stuff, but if I don't see any action in six to eight months -- say, autumnish -- I'll ask about buying the rights again.

-- Bob
---------
There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus.