Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GURPS Infinite Worlds: IST, by Kenson and Hite, out now.
GURPS Infinite Worlds: IST, by Kenson and Hite, out now.
Available here.

I think this is an updated version of some articles Mr. Kenson wrote for Pyramid, but ... Bob, did you know about this?

Edit -- it's basically one page long, if one discounts the box text. And it's free.

Chris Davies.

Oh yeah, I approved this months and months ago. I'm surprised it took so long to come out.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Well, I hope it'll drum up enough interest to get them to ask for a real revision of the book. If you'd like, I could download it anonymously a few
hundred times. Smile

Chris Davies.

Oh, no need to make them ask. They want it. Steve's just been giving me some time because I was helping my mom with my dad as he declined, and have been
still helping her since then. Once she's on her feet again, metaphorically, I'll actually go start working up a proposal.
-- Bob
---------

Huh. Following the links from that, I note that SJ Games either doesn't have, or appears to have lost, the "About the author" details for you,
Bob. If you click on your name (helpfully linkified), it takes you to a page that looks for all the world like a traditional author bio page, with a list of
contributions below. They've got the contributions, at least... Big Grin

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

Got a copy, read it at work. It's two pages long (four with the full-page cover and the fill-page e23 ad), with a few ideas that we didn't come up with and at least a nod to http://drunkardswalkforums.yuku.com/topic/3643]the ones that we did.

Edit: It also references IST-2000 without saying what the anomaly was, other than "a reality quake".
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Which is a good way to get around the fact that I don't want to really quantify it when I write 2nd Ed, and instead leave its nature up to the GM.
-- Bob
---------

There's http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=63981]some discussion about the freebie over on the SJGames Forums. I can't say I disagree with http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php? ... stcount=22]this comment from Phil Masters:
Quote:I'd rate this as a good enough piece of work on its own terms (especially given the price), but it's not really about fitting the GURPS IST setting into Infinite Worlds. It's more about fitting a four-colour silver-age-to-modern superhero universe (which happens to have a UN agency called IST) into Infinite Worlds. Not the same thing.
--
Rob Kelk

Mm. Some interesting points there. I'll have to think about that thread.
-- Bob
---------

Have another thread to think about: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=64031]Four-Color IST
--
Rob Kelk

Careful, Rob... that thread links right back to here. You might crash the Internet with that circular reference.
-- Bob
---------

I'm willing to risk i

(NO CARRIER)
--
Rob Kelk

*taps microphone, blows away resulting cloud of dust* Is zis ting on?

If you have room, or can make room, I'd like to see this world (and its associated skerry) rate a mention in IST2. You could use the "Kirby-2" name from Kenson's original Pyramid article, to distinguish it from the Krypton group.

It's definitely an idea, although my intent was to reconcile rather than include as separate.
-- Bob
---------

It's your football, but their version of the IST world seems to be much further down the four-color continuum of super-historical design (with which you may be familiar; introduced by Ken in Wild Talents) than yours, particularly in its shades of Black (moral clarity) and Blue ("the sort of lovely and pointless idea" that accompanies the presence of supers, but doesn't obviously stem from them). Plus, it seems to be sitting on a much more active quantum faultline. It might be possible to reconcile them, but it looks to me like at least one of them is going to get bent out of its previously-stated shape in the process.

Mm. Good points. Let me think about it -- god knows I have enough time to.
-- Bob
---------