Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Casualties of peace: filling the IST memorial plaza
Casualties of peace: filling the IST memorial plaza
From the 90s timeline, we know of at least three new names on the pillars in front of IST New York:
  • [nom ici], known as Bête Noire (Black Beast), Haiti. [birth date, year] to [death date], 1999. Died repelling Guatemalan invasion of El Salvador.
  • Jean-Louis Hilbert, known as le Fantôme d'Orléans (the Ghost of Orleans), France. [birthday], 1957 to [death day], 1999. Killed in the bombing of the IST New York embassy.
  • [name here], known as Polymatrix, [USA]. [birth date, year] to [death date], 1999. Killed in the bombing of the IST New York embassy.
Not to mention any other IST deaths of the 1990s, or the casualties of World War III (and any subsequent troubles). One good use for the group mind is coming up with those names.

(Speaking of, there's a significant error in IST1 that's so far slipped through the errata. Jaguar's name is given on p.25 as Nyota Mbolo, on p.72 as Penda Mbolo. I think we'll want to reach a final decision.)

Mamorien Wrote:(Speaking of, there's a significant error in IST1 that's so far slipped through the errata. Jaguar's name is given on p.25 as Nyota Mbolo, on p.72 as Penda Mbolo. I think we'll want to reach a final decision.)

"When Nyota and Penda Mbolo found the lost Jaguar Citadel, the twin sisters gained the ability to combine their strengths, skills, and very selves to become Jaguar!"

Problem solved.

(Edit: fixed the gender bobble)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

I guess that's a way of doing it.

Jaguar is, IIRC, female -- both names were fanon first names for Uhura from Star Trek at one time or another in the 1970s and 80s (and Nyota won the canon-contest). Which is why I ended up using both, I guess -- they were, at the time, the only authentic Swahili names I knew in those pre-Web days; I must have recalled using "one of Uhura's names" and forgot exactly which one.

I do have a box set aside for the memorial listing in the outline -- how could I, when playtesters and SJ himself said the original affected them deeply? -- so more new entries are very much welcome.

If we start getting into WWIII casualties we're going to run out of pillars, though, so I should probably add a box for a separate WWIII memorial.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Since Star Trek made Nyota canon, Penda's available for us to use, but now that we have Behind the Name, it's easy to generate a list of female Swahili names. Unfortunately, because of the way BTN does its HTML, it's not so easy to embed it in a hotlink:

http://www.behindthename.com/names/brow ... on=swahili

And I guess I should've realized WWIII would have enough casualties to rate its own memorial. ;_;

The memorial pillars were one of my favorite touches from IST. They reminded me of both the memorial statues from Legion of Super Heroes and the Valhalla asteroid from the same. I think I've pretty much filled up the courtyard in my IST campaign world due to an alien invasion, a metahuman enhanced Hurricane Katrina and the equivalent to 9/11. If they did fill up, what would be the solution? Would they start putting multiple plaques on each pillar? Or perhaps extend to the walls of the courtyard? Maybe inside the embassy foyer?

M
Michael R. Smith (lastfreehuman@gmail.com)
GURPS IST Aleph Wordpress (http://istaleph.wordpress.com/)
GURPS IST Aleph Twitter (http://twitter.com/IstAleph/)
Trek This! Wordpress (http://dthiller.wordpress.com/)
My Blog (http://lastfreehuman.wordpress.com/)

Good question. I was hoping to avoid answering it.
-- Bob
---------

Is there some sort of memorial for IST members who died in other ways than the line of duty? Does it include those who weren't IST members at the time of their death?

(I'm specifically thinking of Impact, but in the years since IST1, there must be other former, and even active, IST members who've died out of combat.)

The Plaza was the only memorial I ever had in mind, but as the WW3 memorial makes clear I'm not averse to adding them. Perhaps they have a bronze plaque in the lobby...
-- Bob
---------

Here in Canada, there is a set of books on Parliament Hill - one for each war that we've fought. Everyone who lost their lives in one of the wars is listed in the appropriate book. The books are kept under glass where they can be seen, and the pages are turned once a day - family members are told ahead of time when their loved ones' names will be visible.

Perhaps IST New York could do something similar for the fallen of IST's WWIII, if there are that many to be commemorated.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

robkelk Wrote:Perhaps IST New York could do something similar for the fallen of IST's WWIII, if there are that many to be commemorated.
I second that notion.

Mmm. I like. Maybe sheets of gold or some other metal, ringbound, so it's not quite so obviously stolen from Canada...
-- Bob
---------

Good idea. And after all, there are precedents in the comics. ^_= (Warning: second link is an image of dubious work-safety; there is what the philosopher Van Chelton calls "nipplage".)

Huh. I'm old enough to have read silver age Superman as a kid -- I must have forgotten the "steel diary".
-- Bob
---------

It was over-the-top even by Silver Age standards. Which is probably why Miracleman got one, once he elected himself God.