Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update
Update
Just got an email from Kromm.  They're interested, but the scale of GURPS products these days is much smaller than back in the 90s, particularly PDFs.  For technical reasons (limits in their PDF software) as well as economic ones, they want smaller works.  48-51 pages was the number mentioned.  Kromm's already gone through the outline and offered advice on streamlining it to act as an "update" to the original IST rather than a stand-alone supplement.
More on this as I review and think on the rather large email I got.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Having had a quick re-read of the outline, is there any reason you can't split it into a series? Kind of like the Transhuman Space updates? First comes the update supplement, with hooks that you can use to fill things out on later updates? The history section of the outline could be a supplement of its own.

That's an idea. I'll pitch it at them and see what they say.
-- Bob
---------

In his summary of the week named Hélène, on the subject of approvals, Kromm says, "I let a new item into the pipeline this week. That isn't a sign of general thawing, but it's still progress." Is he talking about the update, or something else, or is this a case where we might think that but you couldn't possibly comment?

Mamorien Wrote:In his summary of the week named Hélène, on the subject of approvals, Kromm says, "I let a new item into the pipeline this week. That isn't a sign of general thawing, but it's still progress." Is he talking about the update, or something else, or is this a case where we might think that but you couldn't possibly comment?
Kromm never drops names until the books are released (or at the printer, for physical books) - SJGames doesn't want another "when's Hot Lead coming out?" scenario.

I suspect he's referring to IST25 - if I had to bet, that's where I'd put my money.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Okay, back from Canada, and after two days recovering from the drive, I'm ready to jump in on revising the outline. Kromm is amenable to the additional supplements idea, provided IST25 sells well. Have no idea if the unnamed item in the pipeline is IST25, but as Rob says, I'd bet that way.
-- Bob
---------

(blows dust off thread)

They're being more specific with page counts now. This forum post explains why. The short version:
On the SJGames forums, Kromm Wrote:Page Count: The standard length(s) we have in mind for the project. Our price points favor 12, 21, 30, and 48 pages. End matter – title page, contents, index, and ad – accounts for four pages. The remaining pages are yours to fill with interior content, including the mandatory introduction plus any necessary appendices, glossaries, or bibliographies.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

I saw that information on the updated W23 wishlist page (which Kromm linked from his update for the week he was too ill to name) and was thinking really hard about posting it because of its obvious relevance to this project. Thanks for catching that, Rob.

Hey, wow, it's all still here.

I'm hoping I'll be back for a while (didn't work out well the last time . . .), now that the world has started to settle down around me.

Anything you need assistance with, Bob?

Not at this time. Sadly, as soon as I got a tentative go-ahead, life with my early-Alzheimer's mother got... interesting, and I've had neither the time or the energy at the same time to focus on the project. I need to do a rewrite on the outline and get it to Kromm before anything else. Thanks, though.
-- Bob
---------