Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I just noticed tonight...
I just noticed tonight...
... as I finished up importing the threads from the Legendary forum, that long-time forum member Logan Darklighter appears to have not only left the forums, but deleted his board membership at some point before the scrape, such that all his posts are now attributed to "Guest".

This bothers me greatly, as I considered him a a friend of long standing, even though we disagreed on political issues, and it was political issues surrounding the election of Trump that apparently convinced him to quietly abandon the forums.  I had noticed his silence, and said nothing as I felt that at some point he would return of his own volition, but I regret that I was wrong.  I should have reached out to him.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: I just noticed tonight...
Someone should check on him. It's usually not a good sign when someone abandons their presence on any part of the internet with no prior warning or sign of conflict.
Well, there was conflict -- he was one of the few conservative voices in the Politics forum before the election, and even then he clearly felt he was in enemy territory. I suspect that Trump's election convinced him that he would be treated as a scapegoat, if not an outright enemy, and he left rather than be a target.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Looks like he called it in early August. Dunno, but maybe he saw his last new topic in a different light after Charlottesville.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
"Being told to be 'open minded' about something is usually a code for 'you're not going to like this, but I want to subject you to it anyway'. Conversely, being told that you are 'closed-minded' is generally a means of asserting that 'I don't like the fact that you're proving me wrong, so I will pretend that your failure to agree with my argument is a philosophical deficiency'." - RationalWiki
Well, fortunately I have his real name and direct email. I've just dropped him a "what happened?" note. Hopefully he'll respond, one way or another.
-- Bob

No response yet.
-- Bob

I heard back from Logan tonight. It was a brief note in advance of a longer reply not yet written, but the key info is that he actually ended his membership some 9 months ago, and he's been intermittently reading the boards since then -- but the last time he ducked in was before Tapatalk forced their changes on us and he's just as dismayed at the results as we were now that he's seen it. He also does not rule out being persuaded to return to the boards.
-- Bob

I for one would appreciate reading his opinions. Logan was always good at giving the rest of us some perspective; I hope that he will be again.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown