Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Idle Harry Potter Step Question
Idle Harry Potter Step Question
My latest recommendation has inspired this question.
Bob, how do you see Doug and the Twins getting along?
Re: Idle Harry Potter Step Question
Good question. They don't (yet) appear on my plot radar, but it's inevitable that Doug meets them, because his "in" to the Wizarding world will be Charlie Weasley. (Doug wakes up in Romania, looking down the gullet of a dragon, panics, and takes out the dragon before Charlie can rein it in. Friendship ensues.) Ultimately, Doug will have to meet them.
Um. I guess Doug would initially get along with them, but there might come a point where he wants to go serious and they don't, and he might find them irritating then. Depends on how I work their characterization. I'm definitely going to have to see what they act like in Deathly Hallows...
Hmm. Let me think on this.

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.

Mm. Plot developments since 2007 have Doug meeting them early on, before the start of Harry's 5th year, and actually getting his wand from them when nothing in Ollivander's shop wants to come near him. During the school year... well, oddly, I have nothing written yet, even in notes form, about their interaction. I'm going to have to think on that now.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Looking at your old comment from '07, I suspect that Doug, as a professional soldier, would recognize the Twins using humor as a coping mechanism (which they do quite a bit of) as pretty standard for civilians/new recruits and acceptable, provided that they toned it back when the shooting starts (which they seem to do in Deathly Hallows, if only because the scenes they're in involve one of them getting badly wounded or dead).
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

I should note that one of the changes in my plans is that DW8 now takes place during the time frame of Order of the Phoenix, so the twins are still going to be in school (and Doug will be their teacher). Even so, Ebony, a lot of your analysis would still apply.
-- Bob
---------

Doug's going to be teaching? DADA perchance?

Inquisitive Raven Wrote:Doug's going to be teaching? DADA perchance?
Earlier teasers indicate "yes" to both questions, although there's a chance Doug will turn DADA into OADA (Offense Against...)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Well, as the saying goes, 'the best defence is a good offense.' 8)

Doug will be the Defense Against Boring Classes professor.
-- Bob
---------

Well, DaDa is as good a bet as any, due to the 'curse'. Imagine what sort of hash he'd make of something like Muggle Studies given the way the two worlds intermix yet somehow remain clueless of each other in cannon
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Star Ranger4 Wrote:Imagine what sort of hash he'd make of something like Muggle Studies given the way the two worlds intermix yet somehow remain clueless of each other in cannon
Isn't that course called "Muggle and Mundane Arts"? No, of course it isn't - nobody in the Ministry of Magic has a sense of humour sufficient to let students study both DaDa and MaMa...
--
Rob Kelk

I have this image of Doug delivering his introduction and syllabus on the first day of class in a series on nonsensical, absurdist stanzas of free verse poetry. I mean, it is Dada, after all....
Ebony the Black Dragon

Actually, there have been enough snippets posted here that it's no secret Doug will, indeed, be the DADA prof. Given that this Step will be happening during the time of Order of the Phoenix, that means Doug will be the one applicant who approached Dumbledore before the Ministry could foist Umbridge on Hogwarts. It does not mean that we won't be seeing Umbridge.

And if you want a better picture of Doug's teaching style and syllabus, put three parts To Sir With Love in a blender with one part R. Lee Ermey and frappe for 3 minutes.
-- Bob
---------

Ebony Wrote:I have this image of Doug delivering his introduction and syllabus on the first day of class in a series on nonsensical, absurdist stanzas of free verse poetry. I mean, it is %[link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dada]Dada], after all....
Did someone mention http://xkcd.com/1018/]Dada?
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:
Ebony Wrote:I have this image of Doug delivering his introduction and syllabus on the first day of class in a series on nonsensical, absurdist stanzas of free verse poetry. I mean, it is Dada, after all....
Did someone mention Dada?
Blue! You have no fish! Macaroni macaroni macaroni!

Ebony the Black Dragon