Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blame the ELL
Blame the ELL
For he has led to my thinking of Potter.
So, it occurs to me that some fun could be had with the fact that, not only is Doug essentially a Muggle, he's more specifically an -American-.
In Britian.
Other things...
Doug, to nobody in particular, after Draco calls Hermione a Mudblood -again-: "What in Sam Hill's a Mudbood?"
Doug, after having the above question answered: "Mr. Malfoy, I cannot compel your beliefs. Nor, as a stranger in a strange land, can I pass judgment upon your reasons for them. As a member of the faculty of this school, however, I am not only able but -obligated- to ensure a mannerly and congenial environment for the students... a goal which is utterly incompatible with what general testimony and my own background tell me is a racial slur of the very worst kind. Fifty points from Slytherin."
Doug turns, walks away, stops dead as Malfoy whispers something to Goyle. Malfoy gets an 'oh shit' look on his face. Doug, over his shoulder: "You may call me what you like, Mr. Malfoy - I have no fear of anything you might say. But, given that you have already been warned very specifically, and given that a level of respect is due a teacher from a student, I must take an additional hundred points from Slytherin."
Malfoy goes purple and splutters a bit. Doug: "Shall I make it two hundred?"
Malfoy, on the verge of apoplexy: "No. Sir."
Doug: "Good. Good night, all. It's nearly curfew."
Ron opens his mouth to say something snotty, but Harry grabs him and Hermione and drags them off before Malfoy recovers.

Later, Doug will discover that the other Slytherins have given Draco a thorough pounding for losing so many points, and is quite horrfied. Malfoy -absolutely- refuses to snitch, even to the point of facing down Dumbledore about it.
Later still, Draco to Ron, after Ron has a major disagreement with his parents about something or other: "There's precious little worth anything in the Weasleys, but there is enough I'll tell you this: The first responsibility anyone has is to support their family in anything and everything, and to mean it. No matter what you really think."
Of course, none of this should be taken as suggesting that Draco -isn't- a poisonous, snobby, obnoxious little shit, just that, like Snape, that doesn't make him -evil-.
And, since I recently saw bits and pieces of the second movie, I'll take issue with some of their interpretations: It always seemed to me, reading, that Salazar Slytherin was, in word, deed, and soul, one of the -good guys-, and that he would probably be absolutely horrified at what's become of his house. The Slytherin creed, the -true- one, isn't "Power at any price" or "Purity of the blood" or any such bullshit - it's "Conscience is better than rules."
And -that's- why the Sorting Hat wanted him there - it remembers.
Blessed be.
-n
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

Messages In This Thread
Blame the ELL - by Valles - 06-11-2003, 07:03 AM
Re: Blame the ELL - by Ace Dreamer - 06-11-2003, 10:27 AM
Re: Blame the ELL - by Offsides - 06-11-2003, 04:43 PM
Re: Blame the ELL - by Zojojojo - 06-11-2003, 06:57 PM
Re: Blame the ELL - by Bob Schroeck - 06-16-2003, 01:57 PM