Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Pottermore Stuff

So, Deathly Hallows is up on Pottermore, with new entries and a few expansions of old ones. Here's the stuff I thought was most interesting, crossposted from SB:

There are a few additions to previous "New from JK Rowling entries" (For example, Pettigrew was a hatstall between Gryffindor and Slytherin). There's also her thoughts on alchemy, and some brand new info on Extension Charms, and a bit of wand lore.

Sword of Gryffindor Wrote:Much like a magic wand, the sword of Gryffindor appears to be almost sentient, responding to appeals for help by Gryffindor's chosen successors; and, similar to a wand, part of its magic is that it imbibes that which strengthens it, which can then be used against enemies.

J.K. Rowling's thoughts

There is a further allusion to Excalibur emerging from the lake when Harry must dive into a frozen forest pool to retrieve the sword in Deathly Hallows (though the location of the sword was really due to a spiteful impulse of Snape's to place it there), for in other versions of the legend, Excalibur was given to Arthur by the Lady of the Lake, and was returned to the lake when he died.

Within the magical world, physical possession is not necessarily a guarantee of ownership.This concept applies to the three Deathly Hallows, and also to Gryffindor's sword.

I am interested in what happens when cultural beliefs collide. In the Harry Potter books, the most militant of the goblin race consider all goblin-made objects to be theirs by right, although a specific object might be made over to a wizard for his life-span upon a payment of gold.Witches and wizards, like Muggles, believe that once payment has been made, the object belongs to them and their descendants or legatees in perpetuity.This is a clash of values without a solution, because each side has a different concept of what is right.It therefore presents Harry with a difficult moral dilemma when Griphook demands the sword as payment for his services in Deathly Hallows.

Alchemy Wrote:J.K. Rowling's thoughts

Alchemy (the search for the Philosopher's Stone, which would turn base metal to gold and give the possessor eternal youth) was once believed to be possible and real.However, the central quest of alchemy may be more complex, and less materialistic, than it first appears.

One interpretation of the 'instructions' left by the alchemists is that they are symbolic of a spiritual journey, leading the alchemist from ignorance (base metal) to enlightenment (gold).There seems to have been a mystical element to the work the alchemist was engaged upon, which set it apart from chemistry (of which it was undoubtedly both an offshoot and forerunner).

The colours red and white are mentioned many times in old texts on alchemy.One interpretation is that they, like base metal and gold, represent two different sides of human nature, which must be reconciled.This was the inspiration for the Christian names of Rubeus (red) Hagrid and Albus (white) Dumbledore.These two men, both hugely important to Harry, seem to me to represent two sides of the ideal father figure he seeks; the former is warm, practical and wild, the latter impressive, intellectual, and somewhat detached.

Although there are books on alchemy in the library at Hogwarts, and I always imagined that it would be studied by very clever students in their sixth and seventh years, Hermione most uncharacteristically ignores the opportunity.Perhaps she feels (as Harry and Ron certainly do) that, far from wishing to make another Philosopher's Stone, they would be happy never to see another one in their lives.

Extension Charms Wrote:New from J.K. Rowling

Hogwarts school trunks, like the majority of wizarding luggage, are issued with capacity enhancing or extension charms as standard. These spells not only increase the interior dimensions of objects, while leaving the outer ones unchanged, they also render the contents lighter.

The Extension Charm ('Capacious extremis!') is advanced, but subject to strict control, because of its potential misuse. Theoretically, a hundred wizards could take up residence in a toilet cubicle if they were sufficiently adept at these spells; the potential for infractions of the International Statute of Secrecy are obvious. The Ministry of Magic has therefore laid down a strict rule that capacity-enhancement is not for private use, but only for the production of objects (such as school trunks and family tents), which have been individually approved for manufacture by the relevant Ministry Department. Both Mr Weasley and Hermione Granger were acting unlawfully when they enhanced, respectively, the interior space of a Ford Anglia, and a small handbag. The former is now believed to be living wild in the Forbidden Forest at Hogwarts, and as the latter played no insignificant part in the defeat of the greatest Dark wizard of all time, no charges have been brought.

I think it seems rather unlikely that "live in" trunks would be approved for manufacture, so there goes one bit of fanon.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Jorlem Wrote:
Extension Charms Wrote:New from J.K. Rowling

Hogwarts school trunks, like the majority of wizarding luggage, are issued with capacity enhancing or extension charms as standard. These spells not only increase the interior dimensions of objects, while leaving the outer ones unchanged, they also render the contents lighter.

The Extension Charm ('Capacious extremis!') is advanced, but subject to strict control, because of its potential misuse. Theoretically, a hundred wizards could take up residence in a toilet cubicle if they were sufficiently adept at these spells; the potential for infractions of the International Statute of Secrecy are obvious. The Ministry of Magic has therefore laid down a strict rule that capacity-enhancement is not for private use, but only for the production of objects (such as school trunks and family tents), which have been individually approved for manufacture by the relevant Ministry Department. Both Mr Weasley and Hermione Granger were acting unlawfully when they enhanced, respectively, the interior space of a Ford Anglia, and a small handbag. The former is now believed to be living wild in the Forbidden Forest at Hogwarts, and as the latter played no insignificant part in the defeat of the greatest Dark wizard of all time, no charges have been brought.

I think it seems rather unlikely that "live in" trunks would be approved for manufacture, so there goes one bit of fanon.

"Those motorcycle panniers aren't authorized to hold that much! How can you possibly justify them to the Aurors?"

"It was an Act of Goddess."
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:robkelk wrote:
Quote:Jorlem wrote:
"Those motorcycle panniers aren't authorized to hold that much! How can you possibly justify them to the Aurors?"

"It was an Act of Goddess."
Also, they don't register as magic (at least when the aura shields are dialed up above a certain level) -- "It's all technology, you see?"  

I understand there's also something new on Pottermore explaining/justifying some of the Dursleys' behavior, although I've only heard about it third-hand and know no details.

Also, this was on CBS radio news this morning:  Harry Potter and the Cursed Child will be premiering on stage some time next year; the story didn't indicate if it was West End or Broadway, but I'm figuring it's probably the former.  According to the story, Rowling says it's an "untold part of Harry's story", and not a prequel.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:Also, they don't register as magic (at least when the aura shields are dialed up above a certain level) -- "It's all technology, you see?"  
Ahhhh, something else that'd p.o. Umbridge if she found out about it:  using "Muggle" techniques to do things that equal or surpass what wizarding can.  Tsk, tsk, tsk.  Y'know, I can easily imagine her advocating a preemptive strike to smack us back into the Dung Ages -- actually, given that Pottermore bio, she very likely did argue for just that.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Sadly for her, she'd be at least a century, if not more, too late for that tactic to do anything but guarantee the death of the Wizarding World.
Quote:actually, given that Pottermore bio, she very likely did argue for just that.
And saner heads -- or at least better-informed ones -- overruled her.
-- Bob
---------

Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
I understand there's also something new on Pottermore explaining/justifying some of the Dursleys' behavior, although I've only heard about it third-hand and know no details.
Here's the entry on the Dursleys.  Unfortunately, I can't recall what was there before, so I'm not exactly sure what is new.

Quote:Harry's aunt and uncle met at work. Petunia Evans, forever embittered by the fact that her parents seemed to value her witch sister more than they valued her, left Cokeworth forever to pursue a typing course in London. This led to an office job, where she met the extremely unmagical, opinionated and materialistic Vernon Dursley. Large and neckless, this junior executive seemed a model of manliness to young Petunia. He not only returned her romantic interest, but was deliciously normal. He had a perfectly correct car, and wanted to do completely ordinary things, and by the time he had taken her on a series of dull dates, during which he talked mainly about himself and his predictable ideas on the world, Petunia was dreaming of the moment when he would place a ring on her finger.
When, in due course, Vernon Dursley proposed marriage, very correctly, on one knee in his mother's sitting room, Petunia accepted at once. The one fly in her delicious ointment was the fear of what her new fiancé would make of her sister, who was now in her final year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Vernon was apt to despise even people who wore brown shoes with black suits; what he would make of a young woman who spent most of her time wearing long robes and casting spells, Petunia could hardly bear to think.
She confessed the truth during a tear-stained date, in Vernon's dark car as they sat overlooking the chip shop where Vernon had just bought them a post-cinema snack. Vernon, as Petunia had expected, was deeply shocked; however, he told Petunia solemnly that he would never hold it against her that she had a freak for a sister, and Petunia threw herself upon him in such violent gratitude that he dropped his battered sausage.
The first meeting between Lily, her boyfriend James Potter, and the engaged couple, went badly, and the relationship nose-dived from there. James was amused by Vernon, and made the mistake of showing it. Vernon tried to patronise James, asking what car he drove. James described his racing broom. Vernon supposed out loud that wizards had to live on unemployment benefit. James explained about Gringotts, and the fortune his parents had saved there, in solid gold. Vernon could not tell whether he was being made fun of or not, and grew angry. The evening ended with Vernon and Petunia storming out of the restaurant, while Lily burst into tears and James (a little ashamed of himself) promised to make things up with Vernon at the earliest opportunity.
This never happened. Petunia did not want Lily as a bridesmaid, because she was tired of being overshadowed; Lily was hurt. Vernon refused to speak to James at the reception, but described him, within James' earshot, as 'some kind of amateur magician'. Once married, Petunia grew ever more like Vernon. She loved their neat square house at number four, Privet Drive. She was secure, now, from objects that behaved strangely, from teapots that suddenly piped tunes as she passed, or long conversations about things she did not understand, with names like 'Quidditch' and 'Transfiguration'. She and Vernon chose not to attend Lily and James' wedding. The very last piece of correspondence she received from Lily and James was the announcement of Harry's birth, and after one contemptuous look, Petunia threw it in the bin.
The shock of finding their orphaned nephew on the doorstep a little over a year later was, therefore, extreme. The letter that accompanied him related how his parents had been murdered, and asked the Dursleys to take him in. It explained that, due to the sacrifice Lily had made in laying down her life for her son, Harry would be safe from the vengeance of Lord Voldemort as long as he could call the place where her blood still existed home. This meant that number 4, Privet Drive, was his only sanctuary.
Prior to Harry's arrival, Petunia had become, if anything, the more determined of the Dursleys in suppressing all talk about her sister. Petunia had some latent feelings of guilt about the way she had cut Lily (whom she knew, in her secret heart, had always loved her) out of her life, but these were buried under considerable jealousy and bitterness. Petunia had also buried deep inside her (and never confessed to Vernon) her long ago hope that she, too, would show signs of magic, and be spirited off to Hogwarts.
Reading the shocking contents of Dumbledore's letter, however, which told her how bravely Lily had died, she felt she had no choice but to take Harry in, and raise him alongside her own cherished son, Dudley. She did it grudgingly, and spent the rest of Harry's childhood punishing him for her own choice. Uncle Vernon's dislike of Harry stems in part, like Severus Snape's, from Harry's close resemblance to the father they both so disliked.
Their lies to Harry on the subject of how his parents had died were based largely on their own fears. A Dark wizard as powerful as Lord Voldemort frightened them too much to contemplate, and like every subject they found disturbing or distasteful, they pushed it to the back of their minds and maintained the 'died-in-a-car-crash' story so consistently that they almost managed to persuade themselves it was true.
Even though Petunia was raised alongside a witch, she is remarkably ignorant about magic. She and Vernon share a confused idea that they will somehow be able to squash the magic out of Harry, and in an attempt to throw off the letters that arrive from Hogwarts on Harry's eleventh birthday, she and Vernon fall back on the old superstition that witches cannot cross water. As she had frequently seen Lily jump streams and run across stepping stones in their childhood, she ought not to have been surprised when Hagrid had no difficulty making his way over the stormy sea to the hut on the rock.
J.K. Rowling's thoughts 

Vernon and Petunia were so-called from their creation, and never went through a number of trial names, as so many other characters did. ‘Vernon’ is simply a name I never much cared for. ‘Petunia’ is the name that I always gave unpleasant female characters in games of make believe I played with my sister, Di, when we were very young. Where I got it, I was never sure, until recently a friend of mine played me a series of public information films that were shown on television when we were young (he collects such things and puts them on his laptop to enjoy at leisure). One of them was an animation in which a married couple sat on a cliff enjoying a picnic and watching a man drowning in the sea below (the thrust of the film was, don’t wave back - call the lifeguard). The husband called his wife Petunia, and I suddenly wondered whether that wasn’t where I had got this most unlikely name, because I have never met anybody called Petunia, or, to my knowledge, read about them. The subconscious is a very odd thing. The cartoon Petunia was a fat, cheery character, so all I seem to have taken is her name.
The surname ‘Dursley’ was taken from the eponymous town in Gloucestershire, which is not very far from where I was born. I have never visited Dursley, and I expect that it is full of charming people. It was the sound of the word that appealed, rather than any association with the place.

The Dursleys are reactionary, prejudiced, narrow-minded, ignorant and bigoted; most of my least favourite things. I wanted to suggest, in the final book, that something decent (a long-forgotten but dimly burning love of her sister; the realisation that she might never see Lily's eyes again) almost struggled out of Aunt Petunia when she said goodbye to Harry for the last time, but that she is not able to admit to it, or show those long-buried feelings. Although some readers wanted more from Aunt Petunia during this farewell, I still think that I have her behave in a way that is most consistent with her thoughts and feelings throughout the previous seven books.
Nobody ever seemed to expect any better from Uncle Vernon, so they were not disappointed.

-----
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Thanks!
Quote:James explained about Gringotts, and the fortune his parents had saved there, in solid gold.
Hah! And another fanon concept -- that that Dursleys have no clue that his parents left scads of money to Harry -- is shot down. They may not have believed it, but they knew.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Sadly for her, she'd be at least a century, if not more, too late for that tactic to do anything but guarantee the death of the Wizarding World.
I refer everyone to http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20080425]this Sluggy Freelance strip and the next one.
--
Rob Kelk

So, Pottermore was recently updated to generic blog style, and most of the old entries are currently inaccessible. However, there was one new entry added after the change, detailing the Potter family history, which has a few interesting facts about the Wizengamot as well:

Quote:The Potter family is a very old one, but it was never (until the birth of Harry James Potter) at the very forefront of wizarding history, contenting itself with a solid and comfortable existence in the backwaters.

Potter is a not uncommon Muggle surname, and the family did not make the so-called ‘Sacred Twenty-Eight’ for this reason; the anonymous compiler of that supposedly definitive list of pure-bloods suspected that they had sprung from what he considered to be tainted blood. The wizarding Potter family had illustrious beginnings, however, some of which was hinted at in Deathly Hallows.

In the Muggle world ‘Potter’ is an occupational surname, meaning a man who creates pottery. The wizarding family of Potters descends from the twelfth-century wizard Linfred of Stinchcombe, a locally well-beloved and eccentric man, whose nickname, ‘the Potterer’, became corrupted in time to ‘Potter’. Linfred was a vague and absent-minded fellow whose Muggle neighbours often called upon his medicinal services. None of them realised that Linfred’s wonderful cures for pox and ague were magical; they all thought him a harmless and lovable old chap, pottering about in his garden with all his funny plants. His reputation as a well-meaning eccentric served Linfred well, for behind closed doors he was able to continue the series of experiments that laid the foundation of the Potter family’s fortune. Historians credit Linfred as the originator of a number of remedies that evolved into potions still used to this day, including Skele-gro and Pepperup Potion. His sales of such cures to fellow witches and wizards enabled him to leave a significant pile of gold to each of his seven children upon his death.

Linfred’s eldest son, Hardwin, married a beautiful young witch by the name of Iolanthe Peverell, who came from the village of Godric’s Hollow. She was the granddaughter of Ignotus Peverell. In the absence of male heirs, she, the eldest of her generation, had inherited her grandfather’s invisibility cloak. It was, Iolanthe explained to Hardwin, a tradition in her family that the possession of this cloak remained a secret, and her new husband respected her wishes. From this time on, the cloak was handed down to the eldest in each new generation.

The Potters continued to marry their neighbours, occasionally Muggles, and to live in the West of England, for several generations, each one adding to the family coffers by their hard work and, it must be said, by the quiet brand of ingenuity that had characterised their forebear, Linfred.

Occasionally, a Potter made it all the way to London, and a member of the family has twice sat on the Wizengamot: Ralston Potter, who was a member from 1612-1652, and who was a great supporter of the Statute of Secrecy (as opposed to declaring war on the Muggles, as more militant members wished to do) and Henry Potter (Harry to his intimates), who was a direct descendant of Hardwin and Iolanthe, and served on the Wizengamot from 1913 - 1921. Henry caused a minor stir when he publicly condemned then Minister for Magic, Archer Evermonde, who had forbidden the magical community to help Muggles waging the First World War. His outspokenness on the behalf of the Muggle community was also a strong contributing factor in the family’s exclusion from the ‘Sacred Twenty-Eight’.

Henry’s son was called Fleamont Potter. Fleamont was so called because it was the dying wish of Henry’s mother that he perpetuate her maiden name, which would otherwise die out. He bore the burden remarkably well; indeed, he always attributed his dexterity at duelling to the number of times he had to fight people at Hogwarts after they had made fun of his name. It was Fleamont who took the family gold and quadrupled it, by creating magical Sleekeazy’s Hair Potion ( ‘two drops tames even the most bothersome barnet’ ). He sold the company at a vast profit when he retired, but no amount of riches could compensate him or his wife Euphemia for their childlessness. They had quite given up hope of a son or daughter when, to their shock and surprise, Euphemia found that she was pregnant and their beloved boy, James, was born.

Fleamont and Euphemia lived long enough to see James marry a Muggle-born girl called Lily Evans, but not to meet their grandson, Harry. Dragon pox carried them off within days of each other, due to their advanced age, and James Potter then inherited Ignotus Peverell’s Invisibility Cloak.
-----

... oooookay, where does Charlus now fit into the family tree?
-- Bob
---------

No idea. Maybe he was Henry's brother?
-----

Sorry about the double post, but a new article went up on Pottermore today, on the upcoming Fantastic Beasts movie. It reveals a bunch of interesting stuff about both the movie, and American Wizardry. Here are the highlights:
Quote:
The US term for Muggle is ‘No-Maj’

Non-magical people in North America are called ‘No-Maj’ (pronounced no-madge).

The American Ministry of Magic is called MACUSA

This stands for the Magical Congress of the United States of America. It’s based in the Woolworth Building, Manhattan, and even has its own seal of office.

American witches and wizards live in secret

Thanks in no small part to events like the Salem witch trials, the North American wizarding community lives strictly off the No-Maj radar.

By Newt’s time, most No-Majs don’t believe in witches and wizards, save for a fanatical organisation called the Second Salemers. They are led by Mary Lou (Samantha Morton) and want to expose and destroy witchcraft in the US. Mary Lou’s son Credence (Ezra Miller) is a troubled figure.

Newt owns an enchanted suitcase

How does a Magizoologist work on the go? He takes his work with him, of course. Newt Scamander’s suitcase is enchanted so that it’s bigger on the inside than it appears on the outside. To avoid embarrassment at US Customs, Newt can flip a switch on his case to hide its contents from No-Maj eyes.

The beasts escape

Newt falls foul of the American wizarding authorities when the beasts in his enchanted suitcase get out, which puts him in the path of Graves…

You’re a wizard, Colin

Colin Farrell plays a powerful MACUSA Auror named Graves, right-hand man of the US wizarding community’s leader.

There is a scene in a Harlem speakeasy

A scene in Fantastic Beasts is set in a Harlem speakeasy. The film’s 1926 setting is slap-bang in the middle of Prohibition in America, when buying, selling and bootlegging alcohol was illegal. That didn’t stop there being literally thousands of speakeasy clubs in New York City alone. But is this establishment for witches and wizards, or No-Majs?

(and on the new Pottermore site, nothing is blocked behind an account wall, so I can actually link the source!)
-----

Huh! A couple things I've seen fic authors propose -- the Magical Congress in particular -- end up canon. "No-Maj" is a surprise, but maybe I can work it in somewhere, particularly as I'm working up the Psy Op specifics right now...
-- Bob
---------

Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
Huh! A couple things I've seen fic authors propose -- the Magical Congress in particular -- end up canon. "No-Maj" is a surprise, but maybe I can work it in somewhere, particularly as I'm working up the Psy Op specifics right now...
Well, the Magical Congress isn't new, it was mentioned earlier on Pottermore.  There's a discussion upthread about how it might be a magical version of the Continental Congress.
-----

Hmm. Is this still going? Was skimming the Akashic Records (and how Fidelus hacks them) at the beginning of the thread, and was reminded a lot of the 'Book of Night with Moon' from Diane Duane's 'Wizards' series..including getting at least one edit at a fundamental level.

As far as American Wizarding goes, if it were'nt that he was operating under Brit laws, I'd expect at least one session of 'Defence Against the Dark Arts as taught by Profs. Smith and Wessen'. ;-) Though he does, at least, seem to be taking a page from Velgarth, particularly as taught by Vanyel's relatives...which boils down to 'A magiker usually has to wave their arms a lot, so the first thing to do is break them'.

Though this may open a glimpse of just why some in the Wizarding World have such rediculous delusions about the state of the Muggle world....it's a massive case of denial due to *fear*, because if they stopped to think about what Muggles were *actually* capable of in the current era compaired to the average wizard (especially in the arts of mass destruction), they'd wet their robes and end up in a state of gibbering that would impress Cthulhu.

Quote:Vulpis wrote:
Hmm. Is this still going? Was skimming the Akashic Records (and how Fidelus hacks them) at the beginning of the thread, and was reminded a lot of the 'Book of Night with Moon' from Diane Duane's 'Wizards' series..including getting at least one edit at a fundamental level.

As far as American Wizarding goes, if it were'nt that he was operating under Brit laws, I'd expect at least one session of 'Defence Against the Dark Arts as taught by Profs. Smith and Wessen'. ;-) Though he does, at least, seem to be taking a page from Velgarth, particularly as taught by Vanyel's relatives...which boils down to 'A magiker usually has to wave their arms a lot, so the first thing to do is break them'.

Though this may open a glimpse of just why some in the Wizarding World have such rediculous delusions about the state of the Muggle world....it's a massive case of denial due to *fear*, because if they stopped to think about what Muggles were *actually* capable of in the current era compaired to the average wizard (especially in the arts of mass destruction), they'd wet their robes and end up in a state of gibbering that would impress Cthulhu.
The same wizards that accidentally broke time following a time travel experiment gone wrong to the point that at least twenty five people were un-born, and when the time traveler was retrieved, "Tuesday following her reappearance lasted two and a half full days, whereas Thursday shot by in the space of four hours",  and then successfully covered up this distortion in time from the muggle world? 
The wizards who took this place:
Quote:The fortress upon it was originally home to a little-known sorcerer who called himself Ekrizdis. Evidently extremely powerful, but of unknown nationality, Ekrizdis, who is believed to have been insane, was a practitioner of the worst kinds of Dark Arts. Alone in the middle of the ocean, he lured, tortured and killed Muggle sailors, apparently for pleasure, and only when he died, and the concealment charms he had cast faded away, did the Ministry of Magic realise that either island or building existed. Those who entered to investigate refused afterwards to talk of what they had found inside, but the least frightening part of it was that the place was infested with Dementors.
and turned it into their prison?  Those wizards?
-----

I was more thinking along the lines of 'Those Muggles' and Doug's theory involving the 'nuclear punchmark' being the reason a lot of Wizarding fashion seems to be stuck in the 40's...and how they've gotten more destructive toys since then...

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

As a Thanksgiving gift, Pottermore has posted some bits of info on the Sacred Twenty-Eight, those considered to be purebloods:

Quote:The ‘Sacred Twenty-Eight’ would be embraced by Voldemort, despite being a half-blood himself, and sneered at by wizards who recognised that the wizarding world would have died out if their ancestors hadn’t married Muggles.

But who are these families that Salazar Slytherin (who started this whole beastly business) deemed pure? And what do we know of their descendants, who Harry encounters?

Abbott – A grave belonging to an unknown Abbott was found by Harry in Godric's Hollow. Hannah Abbott was the first of her year to be Sorted and Hannah herself fought bravely during the Battle of Hogwarts.

Avery – Mentioned by surname only in the Harry Potter books. An Avery had just stepped out of the room at the Slug Club party where Tom Riddle asked Professor Slughorn about Horcruxes. A Death Eater named Avery was also part of the ambush at the Department of Mysteries. He was believed to have ‘wormed his way out of trouble’ following Voldemort’s first defeat, by claiming to have been acting under the Imperius curse.

Black – Sirius, Harry’s godfather, was the first of the Black family not to gain admittance to Slytherin. He later gave his family’s London house over as headquarters for the Order of the Phoenix, much to the chagrin of the spirits of his ancestors who haunt it. His brother was Regulus Black, a Death Eater who switched sides and tried to destroy a Horcrux, and among Sirius’s many cousins were Bellatrix Lestrange and Narcissa Malfoy.

Bulstrode – A particularly unpleasant Slytherin and early consort of Draco Malfoy, Millicent Bulstrode had a number of skirmishes with Hermione. The latter had a mishap with some Polyjuice Potion and one of Millicent’s cat’s hairs.

Burke – Caractacus Burke, one of the founders of sinister wizarding shop Borgin and Burkes, was seen by Harry in the Pensieve, buying Salazar Slytherin’s locket from Voldemort’s mother when she is left destitute and pregnant.

Carrow – Amycus and Alecto Carrow were a brother-and-sister Death Eater double-act, recruited to instil some discipline at Hogwarts.

Crouch – Bartemius Crouch might have led a very ordered life were it not for his Azkaban-escapee and Death Eater son ‘Barty’ Jnr, who killed him and transfigured his body into a bone. Barty used Polyjuice Potion to impersonate Mad-Eye Moody to lead Harry into the Triwizard Tournament trap.

Fawley – No members of this pure-blood family are mentioned in the Harry Potter stories.

Flint – Slytherin Quidditch captain Marcus is a member of the Flint family who lives up to his sharp, spiky name.

Gaunt – Quite where Voldemort got his meanness from is indicated from the portrait Rowling paints of his grandfather, Marvolo Gaunt, and his great uncle Morfin. Obsessed with their own pure-blood status and with being the only living descendants of Salazar Slytherin, they terrorise Voldemort’s mother Merope, and accuse her of being a Squib. After a string of attacks on Muggles, the two Gaunt men end up in Azkaban, leaving Merope alone to enchant a local Muggle boy Tom Riddle – and we all know that didn’t end well.

Greengrass – Daphne Greengrass was a fellow student of Harry, Ron and Hermione, who only makes one appearance in the books. Draco Malfoy went on to marry Astoria Greengrass, a woman more tolerant of Muggles than her in-laws would have liked.

Lestrange – Bellatrix and her husband Rodolphus were among Voldemort’s most loyal followers. Bellatrix was killed in a duel by Molly Weasley, and Rodolphus was injured during the Battle of Hogwarts.

Longbottom – Neville Longbottom was one of Harry, Ron and Hermione’s best friends and a fellow Gryffindor. He was raised by his grandmother Augusta because his Auror parents had been so badly tortured by the Lestranges that they were confined to St Mungo’s Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries. Longbottom killed Voldemort’s snake Nagini during the Battle of Hogwarts, playing a major role in the downfall of the Dark Lord. He later became Hogwarts Herbology professor.

Macmillan – Hufflepuff and supporter of Cedric Diggory in the Triwizard Tournament, Ernie Macmillan fell out with Harry a number of times but they remained good friends.

Malfoy – The fate of this long-standing dynasty might have ended had Draco Malfoy and his parents, Lucius and Narcissa, not decided to switch sides during the Battle of Hogwarts. The pure-blood Malfoy went on to marry Astoria Greengrass and had a son, Scorpius.

Nott – ‘Weedy-looking’ Theodore Nott was a contemporary of Harry’s at Hogwarts whose father was one of the Death Eaters summoned upon the Dark Lord’s return in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. The elder Nott was one of the very early Death Eaters. Cantankerus Nott is widely believed to have authored the ‘Sacred Twenty-Eight’.

Ollivander – Makers of fine wands since 382 BC, the Ollivanders can make quite a claim to being among the oldest wizarding families.

Parkinson – An early girlfriend of Draco Malfoy, Pansy Parkinson is described as a ‘hard-faced’ Slytherin girl.

Prewett – Harry learns that brothers Gideon and Fabian Prewett ‘fought like heroes’ but were famously killed by Death Eaters in the First Wizarding War. Antonin Dolohov was convicted of their murder but it is said it took five Death Eaters to kill them.

Rosier - Evan Rosier was a Death Eater killed the year before Voldemort’s first downfall.

Rowle - Another Death Eater, Thorfinn Rowle is described as big and blond and got into trouble with Voldemort when Harry, Ron and Hermione escaped his clutches in central London in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

Selwyn – Dolores Umbridge claims at one point to be related to the Selywn family, although whether this is true or not is unclear. A Death Eater named Selwyn is involved in the kidnap of Luna Lovegood but his appearance in the Potter stories is brief.

Shacklebolt – Kingsley Shacklebolt was one of the wizarding world’s finest Aurors. Assigned to protect the Muggle Prime Minister during the Second Wizarding War, he was later named temporary Minister for Magic.

Shafiq – No appearances are made by the Shafiq family in the Potter stories.

Slughorn – Potions master and former Head of Slytherin house, Horace Slughorn had a reputation for collecting bright students and inviting them to parties known as the ‘Slug Club’.

Travers – One of the Death Eaters to escape from Azkaban, Travers was famous for helping murder the McKinnons.

Weasley – Bill, Charlie, Percy, Fred, George, Ron and Ginny are members of a strong dynasty which, despite suffering heavy casualties during the fight against He Who Must Not Be Named, is certain to continue for countless generations. Molly and Arthur have many grandchildren, including Ron and Hermione’s children, Rose and Hugo, and Harry and Ginny’s three - James, Albus and Lily.

Yaxley – The only Yaxley in the Potter books is another dastardly Death Eater.

Why didn’t the Potters make the Sacred Twenty-Eight?
Potter is a common Muggle surname – Harry’s family didn’t make the list, according to J.K. Rowling, because ‘the anonymous compiler of that supposedly definitive list of pure-bloods suspected that they had sprung from what he considered to be tainted blood’.
-----

For those interested, Pottermore has posted crests for the Ministry of Magic, the Wizengamot, and MACUSA:
Quote:Ministry of Magic
[img]http://images.pottermore.com/bxd3o8b291gf/6L38h66V0soMeQaWMCIysQ/007fc80c491ca5eb6e24fbe1c24a3958/Ministry_Logo_BLACK.jpg?w=320]
Designed by Miraphora Mina & Eduardo Lima – © WBEI
A
straightforward, some would say workmanlike, letter ‘M’. Note the
‘serifs’; projections which extend from the corners of the letter and
subtly imply power and importance. A wand is placed dead-centre, making
it clear that magic is their business.

Quote:[img]http://images.pottermore.com/bxd3o8b291gf/kpELXnCFhYQmwk64CkWAm/69e8635a92284ce769eaa95d415ca636/Wizengamot_COLOUR.jpg?w=320]
When
integrated into the Wizengamot symbol, a set of scales (near-universal
symbols for justice), and a Latin motto - ignorantia juris neminem
excusat (‘ignorance of the rules is no excuse’) are incorporated.

Quote:The MACUSA seal
[img]http://images.pottermore.com/bxd3o8b291gf/OOXk6G4sIEAAgIyymmIog/379c2d8b9de6165ec32d170964f99a2b/FB-TRL-0014.JPG?w=320]
This
circular seal bears a passing resemblance to the Muggle Seal of the
President of the United States, with a few crucial differences. The
central bird is a phoenix, which typically represents resurrection and
immortality, as opposed to the eagle, which on the Seal of the President
suggests authority and judicial power.

The MACUSA design has a confidence and grandeur that reflects the American wizarding world.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
is set in 1926, and eagle-eyed history experts may notice that there
are 48 stars on the seal. Alaska and Hawaii had yet to become part of
the United States at this point in history.

There are also CoAs for Durmstrang and Beauxbatons:

Quote:Durmstrang
[img]http://images.pottermore.com/bxd3o8b291gf/2IaLcfrsHmcOYscqCCawqa/d7b425832e0b97760dfdc61793dbee36/Durmstrang_Crest.jpg?w=320]
Durmstrang’s
crest is packed with symbolic significance. A double-headed eagle
traditionally symbolises a ruling faction’s supremacy over both church
and state.

Durmstrang
is believed to be located in the far north of Europe, so it’s not
surprising that many northern European influences have been used in this
crest design. For example, the name of the school is embossed in both
Latinate and Cyrillic script, a common practice in that region.
Similarly, the onion dome backdrop is a prominent feature in Muggle
Russian architecture – think of the Kremlin.

Finally,
the stag’s head is traditionally associated with peace and harmony,
although in this case it may be more to do with prowess in deer hunting.

Beauxbatons
[img]http://images.pottermore.com/bxd3o8b291gf/6IjQMPrRUA6qOQ4CAgiMCa/e41340d6253768a41aa9ae648cb7164b/Beauxbatons_Crest.jpg?w=320]
The
name translates as ‘beautiful sticks’, and their crest is just as
elegant – two crossed wands can be seen at the top of the design. These
crossed wands were seen by Harry on the door Beauxbatons carriage in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

In
heraldry, crossed swords pointing up indicate preparedness for battle,
whereas pointing downwards they imply a major battle has been won. In
essence: don’t mess with us. The significance of both wands facing
upwards seems rather clear.

The design also has a beguiling, asymmetric natural border called ‘rococo’: a popular form of French decorative art.
-----

Two things about the MACUSA seal: One) why is the phoenix facing sinister? Two) does anyone else think that image looks awfully modern for a) the time period and b) a culture as conservative as magical society tends to be?

Quote:Inquisitive Raven wrote:
...does anyone else think that image looks awfully modern for a) the time period and b) a culture as conservative as magical society tends to be?
Agreed.  Actually, my first thought was that it reminded me of some later versions of the S.H.I.E.L.D. insignia.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Inquisitive Raven Wrote:Two things about the MACUSA seal: One) why is the phoenix facing sinister? Two) does anyone else think that image looks awfully modern for a) the time period and b) a culture as conservative as magical society tends to be?
Well, if we'll allow a bit of off-the-cuff fanon... If the MACUSA was sufficiently conservative that they went to the heralds on staff at the Ministry of Magic instead of doing the design themselves, and if the MofM saw the MACUSA as a bastard offshoot of wizarding Britain, then a sinister-facing heraldic beast would make sense. But that's just me justifying the design, not anything official.

What I'd like to know is why the MofM crest looks like a 1970's/1980's-era corporate logo. That's even less conservative than the MACUSA seal...
--
Rob Kelk

So, a few days ago, Pottermore uploaded a graphic of a bunch of Wizarding objects. I figure it could be useful, as a reference for description if nothing else.
Two things of particular note:
The Triwizard Cup is filed as a Legendary Artifact, alongside the Goblet of Fire and the Philosopher's Stone.

Molly apparently invented that family tracking clock, going by the description at the bottom of the graphic.
-----

Hmm, image appears to be broken, Jorlem.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Rehosted it in imgur, does that fix it? Either way, here's a link to the Pottermore page.
-----