Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You Know You Want It II: Electric Boogaloo
You Know You Want It II: Electric Boogaloo
I have a special treat for everyone tonight...  Chapter 4 has been rereleased with about 55K of new material for your reading pleasure.  Basically, I realized several days ago that the beginning of chapter 5 that I'd been writing really belonged on the end of chapter 4.  So just search for "Hem, hem" and start from there.
Enjoy!
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Oh yes. Yes.... Doug says the thing so many people, in universe and out, always want to ignore. Love it.

Also, what did Edgecombe try to do to Luna? At this point, it's pretty clear it was really damn bad, but we've still only heard the consequences.

What thing -- or maybe which of the things -- are you referring to? Just curious.

And what Edgecombe did is pretty much as described. She set an ambush for Luna and tried to curse her with a potentially fatal spell. Fortunately a House-Elf was watching, deflected the spell, and immobilized Edgecombe before reporting to Dumbledore what was going on.
-- Bob
---------

Figured it was something like that. Which does make the bit I was referring to with Doug even better. Namely, his noting right there that Draco just tried to freaking murder Harry.

Ah, okay! I thought you meant one of the sentiments Doug expressed to Umbridge.
-- Bob
---------

No, I doubt anyone's overlooked anything negative to say about Umbridge Smile

So.  I'd wondered, when you had a bit in one of your teasers about Pansy finding something in the RoR, and she didn't seem to be there as one of the bad guys.  Which sets up a pattern:  once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, you know....  Who -- and I already realize you won't answer, anyway; it's just a rhetorical question -- who does the Loon help turn away from evil in the Sailor Moon step?  (Actually, I know so little of Sailor Moon that the name probably wouldn't mean anything to me.)  
Edit:  Great Dralm in the heavens, I'm an imbecile; it was prefigured all the way back in DW2.  You're gonna save make it so Nephrite doesn't have to die.  (Second edit clarifying what I meant by "save.")
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Quote:DHBirr wrote:
So.  I'd wondered, when you had a bit in one of your teasers about Pansy finding something in the RoR, and she didn't seem to be there as one of the bad guys.  Which sets up a pattern:  once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, you know....  Who -- and I already realize you won't answer, anyway; it's just a rhetorical question -- who does the Loon help turn away from evil in the Sailor Moon step?  (Actually, I know so little of Sailor Moon that the name probably wouldn't mean anything to me.)  
Naru's Mom.
(Turns out it was actually a Shadowjack Sailor Moon step. How about that...?)

Fixes:

she wasn't a pre- metamorphosis Deep One. -> Extra space.

They were in a little room which Kat had called an "elevator". Luna could feel it moving downward, which made complete sense given the name, and deduced that it also moved upward. The concept of a room that moved from place to place was an intriguing one, and it struck her as far more efficient than moving staircases -> The ministry has elevators, and I would be surprised in she hadn't been there once with her father for something press-related.

Not fixes:

I love your Luna. And go for her.
-People may die, but ideas are forever. Je suis Charlie.

I can't help but think that Umbridge's circumstances might actually be somewhat similar to Parkinson's; a not particularly clever woman who attached herself to someone that can help her make sense of the world. It's just that Umbridge is very visibly unpleasant, while IIRC Parkinson is pretty much a non-entity in the books.

Also, Umbridge just bit of way more than she can chew. Sure, she might inconvenience Doug and Dumbledore, but while Dumbles isn't likely to commit murder or even anything worse than sheer abject political humiliation, Umbridge's shenanigans in canon (never mind here in this story) are sufficiently dangerous that Doug might just lay down the hurt on her if she pushes in the wrong way, and not just physically. Doug is more than capable of finding out every faultline in her mind and exploiting them until her utter ruin.

Seraviel -- thanks. The extra space came from a linewrap in the original plaintext version that I missed when cleaning up the HTML conversion. As for elevators... the Ministry lifts are older-style cage elevators, not enclosed rooms. Although Luna is Ravenclaw -- she should make the conceptual leap. Let me think about how to revise that, or even if I should just pull it...

Speaking of whom... My Luna is still a bit half-formed. I started with the plan that the Looney persona was an outright troll, but it's kind of mutated into a half-trollery, half-really-her thing that still is working its shape out as I write her. I will note, btw, that Luna is Kat's favorite HP character, and she's absolutely delighted to find her DW avatar getting along so well with her. So I guess as long as I keep Kat happy...

As for how Doug happens to Umbridge... I have Plans. Umbridge will not be lording it over a Ministry department two years after DW5 ends, I can assure you... Although Doug will be showing more restraint than most of you will probably be happy with.
Edit:  DHBirr -- no, Pansy's not going to be a bad guy; I'm not entirely convinced that her canon version is really evil so much as just a mirror for Draco.  About the only thing she does on her own that I can think of is suggest throwing Harry out to Voldemort at the climax of Deathly Hallows -- and that could simply be as much fear as any evil inclination.  Get her away from him, and she might be a decent person.  Doug doesn't so much lead her away from evil as lead her away from Draco. 
Oh, and that Pansy teaser wasn't in the RoR.  It was in her bedroom at the Parkinson home over the Christmas break.
-- Bob
---------

Matrix Dragon Wrote:Figured it was something like that. Which does make the bit I was referring to with Doug even better. Namely, his noting right there that Draco just tried to freaking murder Harry.

The amusing part being, teenagers don't really think like that.

Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
Oh, and that Pansy teaser wasn't in the RoR.  It was in her bedroom at the Parkinson home over the Christmas break.
Ah.  I'd figured Doug was using the Room to guide those students, in a manner akin to how it's begun helping Luna.  And that preconception made me miss the indication that it was in her bedroom, or else I thought the RoR had given her an illusion of her bedroom....
Given that I still think there're legitimate grounds to execute Umbridge for high treason (she thinks Muggles should be subjugated or even wiped out, and I doubt she thinks the Royal Family, Prime Minister, et al, are wizards), I'll be a touch unhappy with anything other than her death or imprisonment for the rest of her life.  Nonetheless, I fondly hope the punishment Doug hands her will be ... "humorous" -- in ways she'll find unendurable and inescapable.  
-----

For handling Umbridge, simply have Doug make use of the blood card. Pottermore shows she's a half disguising herself as a pure. Albus would be happy to hint at the scary parallels between Dolores and Tom Riddle, which just adds fuel to the fire.
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"

Doug won't know about that until the last chapter... I have that discovery already written.
-- Bob
---------

According to the experts that Lucius had consulted — French members of the extended Malfoy family and more than able to keep a secret — Sangoir was presenting as fact things that Departments of Mysteries the world over had only barely begun to suspect about magic, with more detail in a beginner's survey than the Unspeakables had been able to acquire in half a century of research. 
-----

Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
As for how Doug happens to Umbridge... I have Plans. Umbridge will not be lording it over a Ministry department two years after DW5 ends, I can assure you... Although Doug will be showing more restraint than most of you will probably be happy with.
I expected as much, to be honest. Not that I'm too worried. Umbridge is going to get some karma to the face, and I'm sure she'd manage to inflict the rest on herself at some point.

No matter, it would just make the war that much more enjoyable.

Which just goes to show that Doug really is a soldier, not a warrior. He has no qualms about destroying an unarmed opponent in a battle of wits

She was not lurking. She wasn't.

of course not! Lurking requires a message board, and the socalled wizard web is fannon, not cannon
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Quote:Nor was she skulking.  Although she'd always wanted to skulk....
I loved that line. 

Incidentally, Miss Granger has made a fundamental semantic error, treating "can" and "will" as synonymous:
Quote:"Figure out how that happened, and then I can tell you how I caught that Confrigo."
"He told me that if I could explain how he did it, he would explain how he caught Malfoy's spell."

No, Miss Granger, he told you he could tell you.  I have to say, though, Doug should've made it clearer to her that he lacks the ability rather than the willingness to fully explain how he did it.  But she should've recognized that he didn't expect the gold handprint, and deduced that it's Wild Magic.
-----

Quote:DHBirr wrote:
Quote:Nor was she skulking.  Although she'd always wanted to skulk....
I loved that line. 

Incidentally, Miss Granger has made a fundamental semantic error, treating "can" and "will" as synonymous:
Quote:"Figure out how that happened, and then I can tell you how I caught that Confrigo."
"He told me that if I could explain how he did it, he would explain how he caught Malfoy's spell."

No, Miss Granger, he told you he could tell you.  I have to say, though, Doug should've made it clearer to her that he lacks the ability rather than the willingness to fully explain how he did it.  But she should've recognized that he didn't expect the gold handprint, and deduced that it's Wild Magic.
As far as I'm aware, Wild Magic isn't something that normally exists in HP, so why would she have deduced that that is what Doug had used?
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Quote:Jorlem wrote:
Quote:DHBirr wrote:  But she should've recognized that he didn't expect the gold handprint, and deduced that it's Wild Magic.
As far as I'm aware, Wild Magic isn't something that normally exists in HP, so why would she have deduced that that is what Doug had used?
Not by that name, perhaps, but instinctive, semi-involuntary magic -- what else did Harry use when he disintegrated the glass wall and let the python out?
-----

Maybe because, fanfic aside, Accidental Magic doesn't seem to happen to adults.
-- Bob
---------

But if she can put aside her preconceptions, it should be obvious that it does happen to the new professor -- just one more implausible thing about him.  And she's already been told that he has capabilities unlike any other wizard she ever heard of.
-----

Alas, one of the big problems with getting one's intelligence from books is that one can have trouble going beyond the books and into original thinking, if one isn't used to doing that.

(I recall I was like that when I was a teenager, and I doubt I was the only one.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Ah, true.  It isn't in Hogwarts:  A History.
-----