Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Identity of 'Death?'
The Identity of 'Death?'
I was just reading an HP fanfic, when it suggested Manannán mac Lir as the identity of Death in The Tale of the Three Brothers.
Get this:
Manannán has a powerful sword, Fragarach - The Elder Wand
Manannán has a cloak of invisibility, Féth Fíada  - The Cloak of Invisibility
Manannán is seen as the guardian of the Otherworld and one who ferries souls to the afterlife - The Resurrection Stone
Manannán is a sea/water god with a horse who could run over water the same as land - a possible connection to the bridge and the river in the story.
Just something to think about.

Oh, great.  Now the only certain thing is taxes.

My knowledge of Celtic mythology is pretty sparse.  Let me know if you know a good way to learn it. 
-- ∇×V

A recent theory from the ScrewAttack Youtube channel.

Dumbledore as Death. Not sure how well this stacks up to close scrutiny, as it has been years since I read the books. Of course this wouldn't be true for Doug's multiverse, because I'm sure he would have seen the headmaster through magesight having been working there for several weeks, and the triple helix of a deity would be a "dead" giveaway.

Most likely the Albus Dumbledore Harry met when he was dead was not the Albus Dumbledore he knew when he was alive in that case. Rather, it was a trusted authority figure that would be less likely to make Harry panic than some random stranger, or a skeleton in a robe.

*brushes dust off thread*

I still like the Manannán theory, but I wonder if Doug might not think the Three Brothers encountered an Ankou?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankou

It's a short article. Check out the story about the Three Friends' encounter with one and tell me you don't see a similarity to the Three Brothers' story!

As interesting as this all is, I have to disappoint everyone -- the Deathly Hallows play no part in the story (as Hallows -- I mean, Harry has his cloak, Dumbledore has his wand), save for one almost ... accidental ... event at the end.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

*shrugs* No prob, Bob. Even without that, it's still an interesting bit of info I'm glad I could share.

And thank you for doing so!
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.