Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Shaggy dog" story/joke
"Shaggy dog" story/joke
Local date: September 22, 199X
I had a free class period to myself, so I decided to watch Madam Hooch's broom instruction, which today was a joint first-year class of Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff.
Many of the "ickle firsties," as the Weasley twins referred to them, were taking to their brooms with gusto. Some were having difficulty yet slowly improving, but one student, Emily Windham, was crying softly as the broom seemed to flinch away from her with a grinding noise. An idea came to me and I approached the instructor.
"Rolanda? Do you mind if I try to help miss Windham?" I asked with a soft grin.
She raised an eyebrow. "Are you sure, Douglas? She's been having trouble since the start of term, and I cannot figure it out."
"Trust me," I said as I walked over to Emily.
I provided the young Ravenclaw with instruction on meditation and told her to take her free period and meditate with her broom under a tree whose leaves had turned. After that she was to try again tomorrow.
The next day, Madam Hooch approached me, beaming. "However did you know your meditation was what Miss Windham needed to learn how to fly?"
My grin turned shark-like. "Well, many students have trouble learning to fly stick, but just about anyone can fly a broom with an autumn magic trance mission."
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Quote:Foxboy wrote:
"Well, many students have trouble learning to fly stick, but just about anyone can fly a broom with an autumn magic trance mission."
*Groans and chucks popcorn at Foxboy*

Thanks! I'm gonna need that for everyone else's reaction! Big Grin
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

"The horrified silence stretched out for nearly five seconds... and then we awarded him the Supreme Accolade: as one we left our drinks where they stood, held our noses, and fled screaming into the night."
-- Jake Stonebender as told to and by his dimensional counterpart Spider Robinson, "Involuntary Man's Laughter" (Analog, December 1983, collected in Callahan's Secret and The Callahan Chronicals)

It says something about me that I found that hilarious. Not sure what, but something Tongue

I LOVED that.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

<rimshot>
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

You are a terrible person, and you should be ashamed of yourself. Keep up the good work.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."