Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reviving an old put-on-hold Step possibility
Reviving an old put-on-hold Step possibility
Since "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" ended last season, and "Angel" has been announced to be cancelled at the end of this season, and the putative "Ripper" shows no sign of getting out of the wishful-thinking stage... what are the chances of that world's being revived as a possible setting for a Step?
Re: Reviving an old put-on-hold Step possibility
Angel's cancelled?
If so, maybe, yeah...

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.
Yep, confirmed by Joss Whedon (and very much against his wishes)... there's probably still a chance of someone else picking it up, but the WB isn't interested in it anymore. My brother thinks that that's because, while it's still picking up ratings, it isn't getting good ratings in their preferred target demographic, so they want to dump it.
Anyway, because there's no chance of anything being written for a possible Step set there before the season ends, there's plenty of time to reverse again if the series ends up continuing - I just wanted to inquire about possibilities in the event that it does not.
I'll put it back on the "maybe" list, and if the world does become a dead franchise, I'll look for a slot to put it in on the Walk.

-- Bob
---------
There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus.
*sigh* Another fine, upstanding creative mind falls to those stupid shows. --
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
*thbbt*
Blessed be.
-n
(easily amused)
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
Quote:
*sigh* Another fine, upstanding creative mind falls to those stupid shows.
Would you perhaps be referring to MadHamlet? The guy who took a Ranma fic concept and ran really well with it until a fit of Buffy fanfic made him drop it like a hot potato?
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Re: Re: Reviving an old put-on-hold Step possibility
Actually, Chris, Buffy was in the Walk before I decided on my "no live franchises" rule. What I really liked about it was the dialogue -- Whedon and his writers had a great ear for witty repartee.
Plus I have the aftermath of Warriors' World's vampire invasion just laying around for Doug to use in that world...

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
*sigh* Another fine, upstanding creative mind falls to those stupid shows.
Bah, bah I say. Any show that makes an episode a Broadway musical just because they can is okay by me.
(normally can't stand musicals)---------------
Oh crap. I've got Destiny.
---
Jon
"And that must have caused my dad's brain to break in half, replaced by a purely mechanical engine of revenge!"
Quote:
Whedon and his writers had a great ear for witty repartee.
I'd definitely agree with -that-. And hey, if you wanted to do whedonfic without making things all conventional, I think that Doug'd make a just dandy addition to the crew of the Serenity.
Blessed be.
-n
(From Firefly, for those who're wondering.)
===========

I will give this caveat. I somewhat enjoy Angel, simply because the star (who's name I can never remember) is so entertaining.
But as for Buffy, I'm sorry, the show could never stand up to the movie, which had the best death sequence _EVER_.--
Quote:
Angel, simply because the star (who's name I can never remember)
David Boreanaz. Don't ask me why I can remember that, because I don't know.
Quote:
But as for Buffy, I'm sorry, the show could never stand up to the movie, which had the best death sequence _EVER_.
Paul Reubens' character?
The movie has the fossil origins of the TV show's repartee. You can see its roots, and its potential. You can also see Hilary Swank, before she won an Oscar. And Rutger Hauer, before he got fat. But that's neither here nor there.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
The movie has the fossil origins of the TV show's repartee. You can see its roots, and its potential.
Personally, I doubt I'd like the movie as it is - but I've read through a script of Joss's original version, before the not-quite-a-hackjob by the film's backers; it is indeed worthy of the rest of the franchise, more so I think than some fragments of the TV series.
And I also think that the script I've seen which purports to be the original version of the final episode of "Buffy" would have been better than what they finally did... it would have tied up several loose ends left dangling from earlier in the season, added a few cool scenes, and left the ending open for more. (Assuming the script to be legitimate, this last is probably why they didn't use it.)
I've talked to a lot of people who both hate and love Buffy the TV show, and it usually breaks down to this:
Whichever one you saw first is the one you prefer. I saw the Movie first. I enjoyed the movie first. I look at the TV show (and especially SMG) as being pale copies, and the suposed "hack job" the saving grace of what could have been an awful movie.
OTOH, I have friends who work it the other way.
--
I used the term "hackjob" because that's what it is; it's the result of hacking up the original script. Whether that alteration improved it, destroyed it or just made it different is open to debate, but that it was hacked up is fairly unquestionable (much as I hate to use that term).
Quote:
Whichever one you saw first is the one you prefer. I saw the Movie first. I enjoyed the movie first. I look at the TV show (and especially SMG) as being pale copies, and the suposed "hack job" the saving grace of what could have been an awful movie.

Hm. Odd. Because I saw the movie first(with a name like that, I couldn't resist). I enjoyed it greatly. Then I saw the series. And I like it even more than the movie. I don't comment on whether it was hacked up or not. I enjoy the movie as a light-hearted little tale, and the series as a darkly humorous commentary on a lot of things. But I don't dislike either in any way or shape.
Then again, I am strange even by my own standards, so, take my opinion with a grain of salt. I just know that, differences in tone aside, the series produces vastly more memorable characters than the movie.
"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power. Its burning grip tells me to defeat you....
Shining FINGER!" -Domon Kashuu, Mobile Fighter G Gundam
I do remember hearing somewhere that the folks who made the movie didn't want to gamble on a serious movie about someone called Buffy who killed vampires for a living. So the movie became cute fluff. It was fun, but the series was a lot more engaging.
Mostly, what worked for Buffy was the group dynamic. They found the right kind of people, and ran with it. The fact that they had this light humor running through it, with the characters often coming up with horrible puns or one-liners (often Willow or Buffy saying something apparently without thinking about it, then having to backtrack quickly at the implied innuendo).
The musical, as an aside, was a lot of fun, but what struck me the most there was Alyson Hannigan portraying horror when she realizes where she pulled Buffy from. Horror is really hard to portray on screen. You can do shock, and fear. But horror? that's a subjective emotion, and it's really hard to make the audience feel it empathically with the character. They did a wonderful job there, and it really showed.
Quote:
Whichever one you saw first is the one you prefer.
Actually, like Chibipoe, I saw the film first, and got into the series much later, some time in its fourth season. It wasn't that I didn't like the series at first, just that I wasn't too interested in it until I heard about the intelligent wordplay and all. Then I tried it, got Peggy into it, and we ended up watching semireligiously.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Mostly, what worked for Buffy was the group dynamic. They found the right kind of people, and ran with it. The fact that they had this light humor running through it, with the characters often coming up with horrible puns or one-liners (often Willow or Buffy saying something apparently without thinking about it, then having to backtrack quickly at the implied innuendo).
I also really liked the fact that they assumed the audience was intelligent and made all manner of references without explanation, confident that the audience would get them. (I also liked the fact that the writers were intelligent enough to make them in the first place!) The one such reference I remember best is Willow saying something about someone going "all Miss Minchin" on her at some point in a later season. No explanation that "Miss Minchin" was the nasty headmistress from the Victorian children's novel "A Little Princess". Just toss out the line and move on.

-- Bob
---------
bob said:
And Rutger Hauer, before he got fat.
er... hrm.. i have heard that name somewhere before....
ladyhawk and bladerunner?
Well, now I've not managed to find the time for Buffy or Angel, But a friend of mine recently turned me on to Firefly, and that is a very entertaining work. Alas, dead as a TV shows, tho there's a movie in the works.
What think you Bob?

Skitz
I have not yet watched Firefly, and all I know about it is that the premise resembles Outlaw Star a little. If you've got access to eps, John, I'd be happy to watch.

-- Bob
---------
Firefly is also excellent, and as far as I could tell more coherent than Buffy/Angel have become; unfortunately it's really hard to tell much about it, since it was killed so early in its life. There are hints of a lot more going on than we ever found out about, but...
Anyway, yes, do watch it if you get the chance. No way to tell if it'd spark anything for a Step, but it's worth encountering just for itself IMO.
Firefly
Roommate's got the season they released on dvd. It's interesting, but extremely contrived. For some reason, every world you go to looks a *lot* like the California back forty. Everyone rides on horses (on most worlds, anyway). Everyone walks around with a very "old west" dress and behavioural style.
Don't know if it could have stepped out of the spaghetti western-in-space idea and become a watchable show in its own right, but some of the characters were interesting.
The Reavers were very hard to take at face value though. A whole pseudo-society based on people who used crap parts to build their spaceships so that they are all suffering terminal radiation poisoning, causing them to attack, pillage, rape and kill (not necessarily in that order) any other group of spacetravelers they find? That's fine for a small group of oddballs, but if they were anywhere near as prevalent as they were in Firefly, the military would be stomping them all out.
ANYway. Smile I'm not sure Doug would do well in a Firefly type environment. Something I observed when a friend tried running a Marvel game in the far future. Very quickly, the superpowers get sidelined, and it becomes "who has the best gun and power armor". Suddenly the "superhero" as a force for change gets marginalized, and it becomes all about the uber-tech. I've never seen a game with supers in it that mixed space travel well, for some reason.
Quote:
I have not yet watched Firefly, and all I know about it is that the premise resembles Outlaw Star a little. If you've got access to eps, John, I'd be happy to watch.
I dunno 'bout anybody else, but I've got the DVD release. My weekends are usually free, so get in touch after Spring Break (that's the week after next, at least for me) and I can drop by whenever it's convenient.
Blessed be.
-n
(enthusiastically spreading the faith)
===========