Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Question For Californians
A Question For Californians
Helen and I need to know, can you buy beer and/or liquor in convenience stores in California?

Thanks!
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

The store needs a license, so not always; but yeah, you can get beer or whatever at a 7-11 and suchlike...

--Sam

"I'm about to write you a reality check. Or would you prefer the cold, hard cash of truth?"

Thank you! Just what we needed to know.
-- Bob
---------

Eh, your head might explode if you knew of the liquor laws here in Colorado ^_^

You can get 3.2 beer at convenience stores and grocery stores, but nothing "hard." In fact, only one store of a franchise in the whole state can
carry wine/schnapps/other harder stuff. For example, only one Safeway in all of Colorado can carry the harder stuff (and I know which one it is). Only one
Walgreens (haven't found it yet). And so on. Yeah, we're weird...so imagine my surprise when I wandered into a Cost Plus in San Luis Obispo last
summer and found a fourth of the floor space dedicated to wine O_O;

--Amanda
"Hey, it's not like dying is on my schedule for this week."
--Yumeko Asagiri, Bubblegum Crisis: The Next Generation, part 3

Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K...
-- Bob
---------

shootout in the liquor store!

which becomes REALLY fun when someone realizes that there's quite a bit of flammable sticky liquid there..
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

Flamable, kinda. Though only the really hi test stuff like 151 burns WELL. Sticky I dont see... most of the sticky stuff is wet enough it would put out flames
though.

One Item I should add. While beer and Wine are readily available at most conveniece stores, harder liquors are not as common, requiring a trip to an actual
liquor store or major supermarket. however, that just means there will probobly only be one or two in about a mile radius rather than 5 or so gas
stations/convenience stores...
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Quote: While beer and Wine are readily available at most conveniece stores, harder liquors are not as common, requiring a trip to an actual liquor store or major supermarket.
Mm. That changes something we have in mind, then.

Thanks.
-- Bob
---------
Question for Californians, Possible exception condition
Bob:

Assuming the events you are plotting are set in SunnyDale itself, the mayor may

very well have arranged for liquor to be commonly and easily available. It would

make things easier for the various demonic types if the "food" is a bit plotzed,

making it easier to snack upon. It would also contribute to the "Sunnydale

Denial" effect if witnesses and or victims were drunk.

"Vampire? Nahhh, just another drunken person imagining that. Probably just saw a

pair of lovers getting a bit too affectionate in that alley." - typical Sunnydale police

officer, unamed, Armed Happy Meal on Legs.

I'll bounce the options off of Helen. She's writing that scene.
-- Bob
---------

Well, even Liquor stores are diversified out here, carrying all the sort of items one might find in your average 7-11 in addition to booze. But its not like
you can walk into a 7-11 and get a pint of 151 to turn into a moletov cocktail, you might have to run a few blocks more to get to the actual liquor store. Once
your there, though, you can still get a frosty fountain beverage, chips, and whatnot...

NO QUARTER!!!

Quote: Star Ranger4 wrote:

Well, even Liquor stores are diversified out here, carrying all the sort of items one might find in your average 7-11 in addition to booze. But its not like
you can walk into a 7-11 and get a pint of 151 to turn into a moletov cocktail, you might have to run a few blocks more to get to the actual liquor store.
Once your there, though, you can still get a frosty fountain beverage, chips, and whatnot...

Leading to a shootout in the Kwik-E-Mart, reiminiscent of the one from "Grosse Point Blank." Which didn't have any alcohol fires, but there was a
bomb in the microwave.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Why are you guys obsessed with violence? How do you know Doug doesn't just want Napoleon brandy for a recipe he's making?
-- Bob
---------

ah.. ah hahahahhaaaa
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Why are you guys obsessed with violence? How do you know Doug doesn't just want Napoleon brandy for a recipe he's making?
because we know wherever Doug goes, trouble finds him.  Even if he was just going for a bottle of brandy, he'd wind up in the middle of an attempted hold up or whatever!

NO QUARTER!!!

Quote:Why are you guys obsessed with violence? How do you know Doug doesn't just want Napoleon brandy for a recipe he's making?

... is this a trick question? Smile
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.

You do realize that Bob's gonna include a scene with Doug going on a perfectly mundane trip to get some booze now, just because? 8P

Nope. Remember, Bob understands the basic rules of writing...

and one of those is "Thou shalt NOT waste space on things that dont move the plot forward in some way"

and I dont see how a shopping trip where nothing happens moves the plot forward unless your doing some charecter exposition at the time, which would be
cheating in this case because the exposition could have happened elsewhere, it only happend during the shopping trip because Bob couldnt resist having an
otherwise mundane trip to the liquor store to grab some Napoleon brandy for his eclairs.

NO QUARTER!!!

Once again, Helen is writing this scene. I know only the capsule description of what it's supposed to accomplish in the grand scheme of things, I know not
what she is doing to achieve that.
-- Bob
---------

BUT, you'll find out before the rest of us do... :p

NO QUARTER!!!