Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From the "Sailor Moon" Step
From the "Sailor Moon" Step
This Step has been falling together nicely, even though I haven't actually set out to work on it at any given point. But I now know just about how things will flow through the entire plot, and I've got answers for a lot of the problems and objections Xenoproctologist posted here two years ago.
Anyway, to celebrate my burst of optimism over the story, here's just a little tiny moment from late in the plot.
-- Bob

I kept my grip around Kunzite's throat as I held the solid-energy shotgun to his head. Usagi stood grimly behind me, the crescent moon wand in her hand. I stared the dark general in the eye and snarled. "If I could trust that your body would retain its integrity long enough to get back to the Kingdom, I'd just kill you and pin a note to your chest. As it is, I have to let you go, because I want you to deliver a message to Queen Beryl. Tell the bloated bitch that we're coming for her. Tell her to count the hours, the *minutes*, until her death.""Who *are* you?" he rasped.Well, what the hell. If Usagi could get away with it in the middle of a battle... I grinned at him. "I'm the handsome biker-suited Warrior of chaos and blood. I'm..." I grinned wider. "I'm *mean*, and I'm *pissed*, and that's all you need to know, asshole."
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Re: I can't wait for this to be written. *builds a timemachi
Sorry, Rob, but I don't get the references in that little passage. The only Reed I can think of is either Reed Richards or Clow Reed, and the latter I know nothing of save his name and that he's a key piece of backstory for "Cardcaptor Sakura".-- Bob
---------
Chaos isn't really chaos if it isn't Lawful part of the time.
Quote:
Sorry, Rob, but I don't get the references in that little passage. The only Reed I can think of is either Reed Richards or Clow Reed, and the latter I know nothing of save his name and that he's a key piece of backstory for "Cardcaptor Sakura".
I was referencing DWII there, actually. Doug used the name "Craig A. Reed" while working at IDEC - if I recall correctly, that's the only name that Hiroe Miyama knew him by. Since you had Hiroe open and use a controlled gateway to Crystal Tokyo in the DWII epilogue, it would have been logical for them to re-meet if Doug was to stick around for Sailor Moon R...
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
I cannot believe I so completely failed to figure that out. God, I am braindead today.-- Bob
---------
Something I'm wondering
what would happen if Doug plays Circle of Life (Theme from the Lion King) in Mamoru Chiba's presence? I'm not talking about the Elton John verion. I'm talking the theatrical musical version which had authentic African music and beat as part of the song? Would the spirits of every earth creature and possibly Gaia herself come and pay homage to the Prince of Earth?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: Something I'm wondering
Might be fun... -- Bob
---------
Heh...
Quote:
Might be fun...
As long as Doug plays it somewhere in the open....otherwise, the room he and Chiba-san are in is gonna get mighty crowded pretty quickly
Oh, for those who want to hear a sound clip...
www.disney.co.uk/MusicalT...music.html
Now there is a version of Circle of Life as a Gregorian Chant...now what would that version do?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: Heh...
But what about "The Count named Baltar" from The Cylon King? Wink
--Sam
"We'd like an assortment of cheeses."
The who from what?
Please tell me you jest.-- Bob
---------
This should help www.sluggy.com/daily.php?date=030810
And people are still wondering what it means....
That was the STRANGEST thing I've ever seen since I started posting on this forum!I'm the Doctor by the way. What's your name?
Rose.
Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life
Doctor Who: Ep 161
In the epic rage of furious thunder
legends create their tales
when the twilight calls and the dark lord falls
our glory will prevail

[Image: strikersetcfinal9_th.jpg]
In the epic rage of furious thunder
legends create their tales
when the twilight calls and the dark lord falls
our glory will prevail

[Image: strikersetcfinal9_th.jpg]
Gah.-- Bob
---------
Looking back
I looked back at the original Sailor Moon thread in the General section and there's a question that came up:

Does Doug plan to scan the greater Tokyo phone books for other possible senshis based on the general patterns of their names?
Also a comment: It would be interesting to see what tactics Doug teaches the girls.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: Looking back
It is one of the things I thought of having him do, mainly because I saw it in the story "Strategy and Tactics" and figured that if Usagi could think of it, Doug certainly would.
Tactics-wise, well, I'd think coordinated attacks and ambushes would be right up there. Also chain of command, although I'm thinking Doug would rotate them through command just so they all get the experience from both sides; I'm looking forward to Squad Leader Mercury, which will not only be a lesson in team leadership but in confidence for Ami.

-- Bob
---------
It's spelt "Frodo Baggins" but it's pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove."
Senshi Names....
I get the general impression that the last names of the Senshi, well, other than Haruka, Michiru and Setsuna, are actually fairly common.
Mizuno alone would probably give anyone fits.
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
Re: Senshi Names....
I believe it's the choice of kanji that makes the difference. All the senshi have the kanji for their planet in their family names, as I understand it. Likewise the "Chi" in "Chiba Mamoru" is the "Chi" for "Earth".

-- Bob
---------
RE: Names
But many of their names are still rather common permutations of common family names. And we're also talking about a very large city. As far as I know, just for an example, Ami's name is written in the same kanji as the family that owns Mizuno the sports equipment company... Japanese surnames can be a really hairy thing.
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
Tools for the job
All he has to do is hack into the Greater Tokyo utilities database (computers were being used to store data then) and lift the names and addresses off them and use the computer in helmet to select likely names based on the parameters he places it. That brings it down to no more than 100 from 10 million possible matches. Then you send Luna on scouting missions to weed them out.
It'll take weeks to hunt them, but it can be done.
He'll probably get everyone save the outer senshi that way. Though it's possible that he may get Hotaru too in the inital sweep. Now that would be interesting if he gets Hotaru before the lab accident.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: Tools for the job
Aino Minako and Tomoe Hotaru are the off names in Sailor Moon. IIRC Child of love and Earth born firefly
Strangely enough the off names have their own pattern
Sailor Venus is the leader of the Inner Senshi
Sailor Saturn is the leader of the Outer Senshi
At least back in the Silver Millenium they were.
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor
Hmm..forgot about Minako..she won't be in the Tokyo area, intially. Though I think once she hears that the Senshi are active in Tokyo, she'll be linking up with them.
So that's Mercury, Mars and Jupiter in the inital sweep.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Ken Arromdee's Strategy and Tactics suggests -- tho' I don't know how accurately -- that Minako's name tracks correctly if it's a Nihongized (is that a word?) Korean name.
As for Hotaru, I'd certainly like to have Doug stumble across her before the lab accident. I don't know how much divergence from the first season plot I can let myself have yet, though.

-- Bob
---------
One hell of a divergence
Quote:
Ken Arromdee's Strategy and Tactics suggests -- tho' I don't know how accurately -- that Minako's name tracks correctly if it's a Nihongized (is that a word?) Korean name.
I prefer nihongonized..though I'm not sure that's a word either.
Quote:
As for Hotaru, I'd certainly like to have Doug stumble across her before the lab accident. I don't know how much divergence from the first season plot I can let myself have yet, though.

Be one hell of a divergence..for one, the entire rationale of season 4 just went out the window. Either the Witches 5 becomes a Senshi support team or magical girls (minor senshi?) in their own right.
OTOH, the look on Beryl's face when Doug and the Senshi port into her Dimension and instead of assaulting, set up a firebase and have Saturn do prep bombardment first would be priceless.
Last but not least...anything that saves Hotaru from years of pain and sorrow is a noble act in it's own right and it's one I whole heartedly support.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: One hell of a divergence
Quote:
OTOH, the look on Beryl's face when Doug and the Senshi port into her Dimension and instead of assaulting, set up a firebase and have Saturn do prep bombardment first would be priceless.
Unfortunately, that's one reason not to do it. I already have the Senshi's assault on the Dark Kingdom laid out all the way down to ... well, that would be telling. And having Saturn in the gang would completely ruin my ending.
But... if I set things up so that they find her at the start of the Doom Tree saga, I can cover that in one of the epilogues.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
But... if I set things up so that they find her at the start of the Doom Tree saga, I can cover that in one of the epilogues.
I thought you weren't going to let Doug stick around for Sailor Moon R...
"Why?" First, because you posted a teaser earlier about Doug having no memory of the Step, and everyone gets their memory back at the start of R. (Yes, everyone - one of the early episodes has Usagi, Naru, and Umino going to an amusement park where there's a stage play about Sailor Moon vs. Jadeite.)
Second, because if you let Doug stick around for Chibi-Usa's story, he's going to re-meet Hiroe Miyama (from DW II), and come to the conclusion that Crystal Tokyo can probably send him home with just a bit of research.
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Presumably, like those of DW, the DW-SM epilogs take place -after- His Musical Silliness has already departed, showing how things have changed thanks to the Visitor.
Ja, -n
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."