Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not a teaser, not a spoiler, not even story material...
Not a teaser, not a spoiler, not even story material...
... but it is a partial selection of the quotes I have lined up for chapter headers.  They aren't guaranteed to be used, but they might give you some idea of where I'm going regardless.
Gotta get in tuneWith "Sailor Moon"'Cause that cartoonHas the boom anime babesThat make me think the wrong thing.-- Barenaked Ladies, "One Week"
We must be swift as the coursing riverWith all the force of a great typhoonWith all the strength of a raging fireMysterious as the dark side of the moon-- Donny Osmond, "I'll Make A Man Out Of You", from Disney's "Mulan"
Be as fast as the wind, silent as the forest, aggressive as the
fire, enduring as the mountain.  -- Sun Tzu, The Art of War
I'm guided by a signal in the heavensI'm guided by this birthmark on my skinI'm guided by the beauty of our weaponsFirst we take Manhattan, then we take Berlin-- Leonard Cohen, "First We Take Manhattan"
I've got my clipboard, text booksLead me to the stationYeah, I'm off to the civil warI've got my kit bag, my heavy bootsI'm runnin' in the rainGonna run 'til my feet are rawSlip kid, slip kid, second generationAnd I'm a soldier at thirteenSlip kid, slip kid, realizationThere's no easy way to be freeNo easy way to be free-- The Who, "Slip Kid"
Now I ain't no preacher,Don't know if I'll reach you,But here is some humble advice:Use your uncommon senseAnd you surely will liveAn uncommonly sensible life.-- Modern Man, "A Much Better View of the Moon"
If I lose my job, I'll sleep till noon.If the news is bad, I'll watch cartoons.And if my house burns down,I'll have lots more roomAnd a much better view of the moon.-- Modern Man, "A Much Better View of the Moon"
The right thing to guide usIs right here inside usNo one can divide usWhen the light is leading on-- Nickelback, "When We Stand Together"
So you say you gotta know why the world goes aroundAnd you can't find the truth in the things you've foundAnd you're scared shitless 'cause evil abounds,Come join us.-- Bad Religion, "Come Join Us"
"Demons run when a good man goes to warNight will fall and drown the sunWhen a good man goes to warFriendship dies and true love liesNight will fall and the dark will riseWhen a good man goes to warDemons run, but count the costThe battle's won, but the child is lost"-- Steven Moffat, "Doctor Who", "A Good Man Goes to War" (2011.06.04)
The small girl smilesHer eyelid flickersShe whips a pistol from her knickersShe aims it at the creature's headAnd BANG! BANG! BANG! she shoots him ... dead.-- Roald Dahl, "Little Red Riding Hood and the Wolf"
The bravest warriors are the ones who stand for peace.-- Holly Near, "The Great Peace March"
To be alive again...
Wakin' up from where you been
Younger now than you were then
You're comin' 'round again
Do you remember when...
Life was so much simpler then
Like summer nights that never end
To be alive again
-- Journey, "To Be Alive Again"
What does it matter to youWhen you've got a job to doYou've got to do it wellYou've got to give the other fellow hell...-- Wings, "Live and Let Die"
With living sapphires; Hesperus, that ledThe starry host, rode brightest, til the moon,Rising in clouded majesty, at lengthApparent queen, unveil'd her peerless light,And o'er the dark her silver mantle threw.-- John Milton, Paradise Lost, Book 4, Line 604
"Can you find the Valium? Can you bring it soon? Lost Johnny's out there Baying at the Moon."  -- Hawkwind
We are the music makers,And we are the dreamers of dreams,Wandering by lone sea-breakers,And sitting by desolate streams;World-losers and world-forsakers,On whom the pale moon gleams:Yet we are the movers and shakersOf the world for ever, it seems.-- Ode by Arthur William Edgar O'Shaughnessy
So, good night, you moonlit ladies,Rock-a-bye sweet baby James.Deep greens and blues are the colors I choose,Won't you let me go down in my dreams?And rock-a-bye sweet baby James.-- James Taylor, "Sweet Baby James"
If light were darkAnd dark were lightThe moon a black holeIn the blaze of nightA raven's wingAs bright as tinThen you, my love,Would be darker than sin.-- "The Invocation", Pandora's Box, "Original Sin", by Jim Steinman
To conquer the enemy without resorting to war is the mostdesirable.  The highest form of generalship is to conquer theenemy by strategy. -- Sun T'zu
Mastery in warfare consists of winning without fighting.  -- Sun T'zu
You can be born to the path of a warrior and never harm anyone.-- Scott Glenn
In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it.-- Irwin Rommel
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Hmmmmm... I'm guessing at what you might want, so feel free to discard or copy any of these:

There are people who take the heart out of you, and there are people who put it back.
– Charles de Lint quoting Elizabeth David, The Ivory and the Horn

??????????????????
??????????????????
(Miru tokoro hana ni arazu to iu koto nashi,
omou tokoro tsuki ni arazu to iu koto nashi
“There is nothing you can see that is not a flower;
There is nothing you can think that is not the moon.”)
– Matsuo Basho (translation by Reginald Horace Blyth)

Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment.
– Dag Hammarskjöld, Markings
(we all know where in the story this one goes)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

"The Way of the Warrior has been misunderstood. It is not a means to kill and destroy others. Those who seek to compete and better one another are making a terrible mistake. To smash, injure, or destroy is the worst thing a human being can do. The real Way of a Warrior is to prevent such slaughter — it is the Art of Peace, the power of love." - Morihei Ueshiba
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Oh, that's a good one, Ebony! That goes right in the list.

Likewise the Basho quote, Rob -- although it turns out I already had the Hammarskjold quote in a part of my master file I'd overlooked, a part that had these in it as well:

"Someday after we have mastered the winds, the waves, the tides,
and gravity, we shall harness the energies of love. Then for the
second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered
fire."

-- Teihard de Chardin

I will not cease from mental fight
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand
'Til we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land.
-- William Blake, "Jerusalem"

There will be a new city with streets of gold
The young so educated they never grow old
And there will be no death 4 with every breath
A voice of many colors sings a song that's so bold
-- Prince, "7"

I sing the body electric
I glory in the glow of rebirth
Creating my own tomorrow
When I shall embody the earthAnd I look back on Venus
I look back on Mars
And I burn with the fire
Of ten million stars
And in time
And in time
We will all be stars
-- "I Sing The Body Electric", from "Fame"

Like a thief in the night, who can't get enough,
I am willing to fight, 'cause I'm a soldier of love.
Like a shot in the dark when the going gets rough,
It's a state of the heart when you're a soldier of love.
I'm willing to fight.
-- Donny Osmond, "Soldier of Love"

The right thing to guide us
Is right here inside us
No one can divide us
When the light is leading on
But just like a heartbeat
The drumbeat carries on
-- Nickelback, "When We Stand Together"

So keep on kicking
The bomb is ticking
Don't stop, don't be a runaway
Go for the fire
Baby you're tough enough
Just keep on living
And don't start giving
The devil good reason
To get you in the seasons of heartbreak
Baby you're tough enough
-- Vanilla Ninja, "Tough Enough"

Fight for the kingdom bound for glory
Armed with a heart of steel
I swear by the sisters who stand before me
To no one shall I kneel
Their blood is upon my steel
-- Manowar, "Call To Arms"

"We come on a ship they call the Mayflower
We come on a ship that sails the Moon
We come in the Age's most uncertain hour
And sing an American Tune"
-- Paul Simon, "An American Tune"

Oh I would not give you false hope
On this strange and mournful day
For the mother and child reunion
Is only a motion away
-- Paul Simon, "Mother and Child Reunion"

"Never give in -- never, never, never, *never*, in nothing great
or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of
honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the
apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." -- Winston
Churchill

Dawn has broke, the time has come,
Move your feet to a marching drum.
We'll win the war and pay the toll,
We'll fight as one in heart and soul.
Midnight mare and blood red roan,
Fight to keep this land your own.
Sound the horn and call the cry,
How many of them can we make die!
-- Heather Alexander, "March of Cambreadth"

Come, lonely hunter, chieftain and king
I will fly like the falcon when I go
Bear me, my brother, under your wing
I will strike, fell like lightning, when I go
I will bellow like the thunder drum,

Invoke the storm of war
A twisting pillar spun of dust and blood

Up from the prairie floor
I will sweep the foe before me

Like a gale out on the snow
And the wind will long recount the story,

Reverence and glory,
When I go.
-- Dave Carter, "When I Go"

There they stood, ranged along the hill-sides, met
To view the last of me, a living frame
For one more picture! in a sheet of flame
I saw them and I knew them all. And yet
Dauntless the slug-horn to my lips I set,
And blew. "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came."
-- Robert Browning, "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came"

And death shall have no dominion.
Dead men naked they shall be one
With the man in the wind and the west moon;
When their bones are picked clean and the clean bones gone,
They shall have stars at elbow and foot;
Though they go mad they shall be sane,
Though they sink through the sea they shall rise again;
Though lovers be lost love shall not;
And death shall have no dominion.
-- Dylan Thomas
-- Bob
---------

"There is only one god, and that is Death. And we have only one thing that we say to Death: 'Not today.'" - Syrio Forel, Dancing Master to Arya Stark
Ebony the Black Dragon

Bob, one in your post from yesterday had an opening line that made me remember this:
Like a wild bird of prey,
Like a thief in the night,
You can take what you want 
And you don't think twice.
'Cause the world's in your hands 
And you've got all you want,
And you won't change a thing;
You're the lucky one.
-- Laura Brannigan, The Lucky One

And a bit of practical advice for people in authority:
"So any injury a prince does a man should be of such a kind that there is no fear of revenge."
Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince, trans. by George Bull
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Quote:DHBirr wrote:
"So any injury a prince does a man should be of such a kind that there is no fear of revenge."
Or, if you prefer a more modern translation:
"You wanna know how to get Capone? They pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue. *That's* the *Chicago* way! And that's how you get Capone." - Officer Jim Malone, Chicago PD, "The Untouchables"

Ebony the Black Dragon

Quote:Ebony wrote:
Quote:DHBirr wrote:
Or, if you prefer a more modern translation:
"You wanna know how to get Capone? They pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue. *That's* the *Chicago* way! And that's how you get Capone." - Officer Jim Malone, Chicago PD, "The Untouchables"

A magazine article listing alleged "Mafia Maxims" ("The fish is killed by its open mouth.") had a another version, closer in phrasing to Machiavelli's but as blunt as Malone's.  Without digging up the article to make sure I'm getting it exactly, it went something like:  "If you must hurt a man, make sure that you hurt him so brutally that you need not fear his revenge."  
I nearly posted that rather than the Machiavelli  in the first place.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

They say that the world rests on the backs of 36 living saints — 36 unselfish men and women. Because of them the world continues to exist. They are the secret kings and queens of this world.- Neil Gaiman, Death, in Sandman #31: "Three Septembers and a January"
-- ∇×V

That which does not kill us...
- Has made it's last mistake.- Has made a grave tactical error.- Had better run damn fast.

... increases our insurance premiums.

Fun, but not quite what I need. However, vorticity's quote, yeah, that went into the dev file.
-- Bob
---------

A few quotes that just might be relevent.

From Malcom X

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“My alma mater was books, a good library.... I could spend the rest of my life reading, just satisfying my curiosity.”

“You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”

"I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it is for or against. I'm a human being, first and foremost, and as such I'm for whoever and whatever benefits humanity as a whole.”

A (possibly bad) paraphrasing of wiccan since I can't find the quote I remember - "if it harms none do what you will, if it harms one do what you must"

and finally 2 quotes from the Kung Fu old TV show "Perceive the way of nature and no force of man can harm you. Do not meet a wave head on: avoid it. You do not have to stop force: it is easier to redirect it. Learn more ways to preserve rather than destroy. Avoid rather than check. Check rather than hurt. Hurt rather than maim. Maim rather than kill. For all life is precious nor can any be replaced. "

Master Tae, What is the best way to deal with force?’ -Disciple Caine
‘As we prize peace and quiet above victory, there is a simple and preferred method…. Run away.’

Mark

The exact phrasing of Vorticity's quote might be from Gaiman, but Gaiman was referring to a Jewish legend.
Edit: Of course, after I post this, I notice that zie linked to the wikipedia entry on the them. 

Gaiman proves his wordsmithing talent there by equating temporal power to spiritual power, though spiritual power can remain hidden.  The context of the quote is that Death is talking about Norton I, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico, the San Francisco personality and Discordian saint.  The longer I live, the more convinced I am that Joshua Norton was a Christian saint as well, though I don't know what church would have him.
I once made a pilgrimage to his grave in Colma, back on 05-05-05, after taking the day off from work for religious reasons.  While there, I met a young man who claimed to be Norton III, his great grandson.  He was a UCSC student who printed his own money and seemed to be really into the Discordian thing in general.  Norton III's claimed that his great grandmother was a whore back in the gold rush era, and well, I think we can assume that Salic Law doesn't apply to the Imperial Throne of the United States so an illegitimate heir is A-OK.  Whether or not the claim was true, it says a lot that someone would offer that as their own backstory.  Or that I would visit the resting place of an impoverished loon who died over a hundred years ago in the first place.  But there's something about the way Norton I could see through the illusions of this world that still echoes through the world today.
Edit: Post count 500 is about Discordian stuff, what a surprise!
-- ∇×V

"What are we trying to practice everyday? If our friendship depends on things like space and time, we've destroyed our own brotherhood! But overcome space, and all we have left is Here. Overcome time, and all we have left is Now. And in the middle of Here and Now, don't you think that we might see each other once or twice?"

? Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagull

I think this one speaks for itself. Smile

Hm. Skyefire, I used the "I'm for truth" quote for one of DW2's chapters, but I like the others.

And BA, that it does. And in response:

Science has overcome both time and space; Harvey has overcome not only both time and space, but any objections. -- Elwood P. Dowd
-- Bob
---------