Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too Much of a Coincidence To Ignore
Too Much of a Coincidence To Ignore
So, as I said I might do in a different thread, I actually went diving into Google Maps this evening, exploring Azabujuban at ground level and looking for (among other things) a building in which to put the apartment I'd already decided on for Doug.  I literally browsed around at random, starting with a page on AirBNB which highlighted the residential area in Azabu and then using that to do a virtual walk around the district.

I found myself eventually on a little narrow street filled with maisons, apaatos and mansions (the Japanese usage, not the American/British) and a few restaurants and other businesses.  And found myself looking at a small parking lot with a four-story apartment building behind it that looked old enough to have been relatively new in 1992.  I bounced my little Streetview man to the next street over and looked at the building from the other side, and then wandered around the neighborhood a bit.... and decided yeah, this is a good candidate for Doug's place.  I kept the tab open and started researching other locations in Azabu, specifically where Usagi's house might be.  And while I was doing that... I almost immediately came across a YouTube video made by someone living in the very building I'd just settled on, showing not only the building and the view from it, but also the neighborhood around it. 

Anyway, that kind of coincidence is not something to ignore.  So here you go, folks, have a look around the neighborhood where Doug lives during the events of DW-S:

Edit:  Still researching, and I've just discovered I've parked Doug almost on top of "Darkness Hill" (Kurayami no Zaka) from the third episode of the SuperS season, and a side-story that puts a vampire in one of the embassy buildings there.  Yeesh. 

Edit, September 2020: The building and the lot behind it have been replaced by a new apartment building; IIRC, the video that was linked above was posted by the management of the old building, which would explain why it's now missing.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Quote:Edit:  Still researching, and I've just discovered I've parked Doug almost on top of "Darkness Hill" (Kurayami no Zak) from
the third episode of the SuperS season, and a side-story that puts a
vampire in one of the embassy buildings there.  Yeesh.
Have you considered having Doug live in Ikkoku-kan instead?  The rent's cheap and the kanrinin is a looker!  Room #3 would be available for Doug, I'm sure.
-- ∇×V

Quote:vorticity wrote:
Quote:Edit:  Still researching, and I've just discovered I've parked Doug almost on top of "Darkness Hill" (Kurayami no Zak) from
the third episode of the SuperS season, and a side-story that puts a
vampire in one of the embassy buildings there.  Yeesh.
Have you considered having Doug live in Ikkoku-kan instead?  The rent's cheap and the kanrinin is a looker!  Room #3 would be available for Doug, I'm sure.
Let's not turn this episode into a multi-universe crossover, please-thank-you....
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Heh. I actually use Maison Ikkoku in a concordance entry as an example of an apaato apartment building, as opposed to the so-called "mansion" style of the building I chose.

Also, before anyone nitpicks, despite the video title I'm aware that this building is actually in Motoazabu and not Azabujuban. But the neighborhood border is just a couple blocks away, and the whole area is still Azabu.

-- Bob
---------

Oh, one more little note. The McDonald's seen late in the video above? It's the former location of the Crown Pachinko parlor -- which became the Crown Arcade in Sailor Moon.

-- Bob
---------

That's actually not that far from where I'm staying in a few months time.... about 10-15 minutes walk.
Well, that's annoying. I found I had put the wrong link into the DWS concordance to reach this thread. So I went and found this, updated the concordance, then cleaned up the page a bit because it still had Crapatalk weirdness. Then I clicked the Google Maps link in the first message -- and found that the nice view of Doug's apartment has been replaced by new construction as of September 2017. Fortunately, I can backstep to the Feb 2016 image and use its URL instead.

It's still annoying.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: Too Much of a Coincidence To Ignore
Tumblr user, and Sailor Moon fan, floraone has a photo series from her visit to Azabu-Jyuban, matched up to screenshots from Sailor Moon (mostly Crystal).  See part one and part two, and then other general tour pictures (including scenes from other Sailor Moon fanfics) here.