Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Google should find this for me, but no dice
Google should find this for me, but no dice
Does anyone know what dialect/accent Keiko Han used when performing Luna?

Thanks.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

All I can come up with is that Keiko Han is noted for voicing "proper lady" type characters who speak very formally, and that Luna has enough of this to have prompted the original dub casting to give her a somewhat stuffy British accent. Also, that her voice/portrayal was of a young female, which contrasts with the older and kind of cranky voice in those dubs.
----------
No, I don't believe the world has gone mad.  In order for it to go mad it would need to have been sane at some point.

So in this case (unlike, say, Ayeka of Tenchi Muyo), the British accent in the dub doesn't represent Keigo?

-- Bob
---------

I'm under the impression that it is supposed to represent a formal manner of speaking. I have no clue if it's Keigo. Just that the original japanese sounds a lot younger and higher pitched than the stern nanny voice they gave her in English.
----------
No, I don't believe the world has gone mad.  In order for it to go mad it would need to have been sane at some point.

OK, thanks.
-- Bob
---------

For their dub of Sailor Moon Crystal and their redub of the classic series, Viz employed the voice team at Studiopolis, including an age-appropriate actress for Luna. I mention it because that actress is Michelle Ruff, whom I first became aware of providing the voice of Rukia Kuchiki in their BLEACH dub. So that was a thing. It didn't make the experience of watching Sailor Moon R: The Promise of the Rose on the big screen (in a Fathom Events event last month) as weird as it might've, but that may just be down to my having already found out that was going to be the case.

So uh, I just watched an early episode with a lot of Luna, episode 3.  That's gotta be the easiest way to resolve the question.
No, Luna does not use keigo at all with Usagi.  She always uses the familiar verbs with Usagi, though she is polite in doing so.  Luna uses feminine voice and particles, and typically uses "atashi" for herself, but is also more direct than Usagi, using 'yo' at the end of sentences a lot.  I have vague recollections of Luna using more formal speech when the occasion requires it (and is probably quicker on that uptake than Usagi), but no more than standard Japanese code-switching works.
Actually at the early stage, while Luna's voice sounds a little more mature, she takes more of a tone of a frustrated babysitter than an older grump.  They act like they're in the same age group.
Also in episode 3: the disguise pen.  I do hope you make good use of that, Bob.  There were at least 30 episodes later on where I why they didn't just use it to sneak into places.
Good to see the kB count creeping up!
-- ∇×V

...I am writing the leadup to the ep 3 sequence now. And you know, I don't know if the pen is going to show up at all... I haven't ruled it out yet, but the moments that led to Usagi getting it are diverging already.

And thank you for your analysis of Luna's speech. Helen is... unwilling to watch the actual show, although she's fine with prereading the story, so I couldn't get the info from her. And I can barely distinguish one word from another myself.
-- Bob
---------

Well, there's no accounting for taste.
I remember those days when Japanese sounded more like a stream of syllables than actual words.   The timing is way different from European languages.  I think the language really started penetrating my skull when I learned some of the theme songs, because it gives you a chance to think about a word in context, and it is usually pronounced clearly when sung.  And well, I can memorize just about anything if it's set to music.
Sailor Says: Always watch subs, not dubs!
-- ∇×V

Quote:Sailor Says: Always watch subs, not dubs!
Heh. I find that I am far less likely to cringe at the performance when I watch the subtitled version of Sailor Moon. Plus I assume I can trust the subtitling more than I can trust the dub dialogue. (Otherwise, I prefer dubs.)
-- Bob
---------

Actually I'm not really militant about subs or dubs.  There are works where the English dub is just better and makes more sense to have the characters speaking English, like Black Lagoon.  There are others like Slayers, where I like the English voice cast better as an ensemble, but goddamnit is Hayashibara Megumi brilliant as Lina in the original.  Truly a master of the craft.  And then there is Sailor Moon at the other end of the spectrum, where the less said about the English scripts and acting, the better.
Utena is kind of a special case.  I do like the original Japanese because there is so much subtlety of meaning.  But the fight scenes are really cognitively taxing to watch, because I'm trying to translate both dialogue and music while reading subtitles while figuring out what all of the symbolism is, and hey there's also a fight going on.  And I can't really shut off the translation part of my brain, nor the musical part.
-- ∇×V

I generally prefer subs to dubs, but there's plenty of anime where the difference is really just a matter of taste and generally the originating language just fits better. The only anime I've seen multiple languages of that I've honestly found qualitative differences is the Sailor Moon American dub (vastly inferior to the Dutch dub and the original) and Spice and Wolf. I get that in Japan women are generally expected to be high pitched, but Holo the Wise Wolf? The much lower, older and more experienced in life seeming voice of the English dub fits the character better.

Before this goes any more wildly off-topic, let me just add that I agree with Vorticity that there are some dubs out there which are superlative -- El-Hazard always comes to mind for me, because it was the first dub where the Japanese creators said, "yup, your voice cast is better than ours". Dubs are also preferred at our place because Peggy doesn't read as fast as I do, and it takes us 45 minutes or so to get through the average half-hour subbed episode what with all the pausing and rewinding. But if it's just me, and I have a choice, I ultimately pick based on the performance of the dub cast. If I can't get through the first episode without wanting to throttle someone, I switch to sub.
-- Bob
---------