Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stan Bush's 'The Touch'
Stan Bush's 'The Touch'
Hmm. Surprised not to have seen any Transformers: The Movie songs here...three in particular come to mind, too.
You got the touch
You got the power
After all is said and done
You've never walked, you've never run,
You're a winner
You got the moves, you know the streets
Break the rules, take the heat
You're nobody's fool
You're at your best when when the goin' gets rough
You've been put to the test, but it's never enough
You got the touch
You got the power
When all hell's breakin' loose
You'll be riding the eye of the storm
You got the heart
You got the motion
You know that when things get too tough
You got the touch
You never bend, you never break
You seem to know just what it takes
You're a fighter
It's in the blood, it's in the will
It's in the mighty hands of steel
When you're standin' your ground
And you never get hit when your back's to the wall
Gonna fight to the end and you're takin' it all
You got the touch
You got the power
When all hell's breakin' loose
You'll be riding the eye of the storm
You got the heart
You got the motion
You know that when things get too tough
You got the touch
You're fightin' fire with fire
You know you got the touch
You're at your best when when the road gets rough
You've been put to the test, but it's never enough
You got the touch
You got the power
You got the touch
You got the power

My thought on what power it might give...basically it makes Doug go Super Seiyan--enhanced speed, strength, and defence, with an energy-based multipower projected from the hands (possibly with a Body of Metal--if not the whole body, the hands at least). But it'd have a major downside of being *severely* draining no matter how long the song is used, leaving Doug weak or unconcious afterwards--used as a back-against-the-wall last resort, but to be avoided otherwise.
Hmm. I'll post the second song in a separate post....but the third one, 'Instruments of Destruction' (in either the original, or the TF:tM forms--there's some lyric changes between the two, in particular swapping out the word 'seduction' for something more kiddy-friendly), I have the feeling would end up on the 'Do not use' listing. ;-)
Re: Stan Bush's 'The Touch'
This is not the first time these songs have come up here. I think we actually have a power for "Instruments of Destruction", though I'm damned if I can remember what.
This one... hm. While anything that amps up Doug works for me, I think this one might be more interesting as a "lend a power" song...
-- Bob
---------
Visit beautiful Boston, proud successor to Seattle as
"City Most Scared Of Its Own Shadow
I hadn't thought of that, actually...makes sense.
Quote:
This one... hm. While anything that amps up Doug works for me, I think this one might be more interesting as a "lend a power" song...
How about as an Activate (reactivate?) a power song.
It works with the "genetics" of the targeted person (which Doug has to touch) and activates a
"random" latent (or nullified) power that said person would have at least the potential for.
This would be similiar to what hapened to Lisa in DWII.
If untargeted, or the tareted person has no powers (latent or otherwise) to activate, then Doug suffers the usual backlash.
Ennnnhhh. I'd rather stick with a power-gift if I had my druthers.
-- Bob
---------
Visit beautiful Boston, proud successor to Seattle as
"City Most Scared Of Its Own Shadow
Here's the thing...
"The Touch" isn't just any old song. It is, very specifically, a character theme song.
Optimus Prime's theme song.
I just can't see it as anything but a simulacrum generator, and I can't think of any other effect that would be half as cool or half as useful as having Prime on your side...
--Sam
"Transform and roll out!"
Um. Remembe what happened to Doug the last time he tried to do a simulacrum of a deity...

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
Quote:
Um. Remember what happened to Doug the last time he tried to do a simulacrum of a deity...
Referring to Optimus Prime, I think?
yeah, I can see that. Prime appears, the song trails off into nothing..
And Prime, is HERE.
I think that so long as he was needed, well, it wouldn't be a problem.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
And Doug is down for the count, wiped utterly by the unexpected power point cost...

-- Bob
---------
A god? Prime is all different kinds of awesome, but he isn't actually a god. (The Matrix may be some kind of divine artifact, but that isn't quite the same thing either.)
--Sam
"There's a thin line between being a hero and being a memory."
*falls over laughing* True...Optimus Prime may be godly (well, at least until Michael Bay got his mitts on the concept, anyway. Undecided), but he's not a god himself. *Primus*, now, that's a bit different, depending on which universe version you're looking at...though that *does* give me the mental image of Doug meeting Primus and getting the rather confusing comment, "Oh...you're the *other* Chaos-Bringer. At least you don't eat planets...I think." ;-)
While I understand the idea of it being a "power gift" song, if you look at the context of the song it's got something special about it. First off, while it is Optimus Prime's theme song, it's more generically "Prime's" theme song - that is, it's the theme song of the Rightful Holder of The Matrix, and it comes into play when that individual is specifically rises to Meet Their Destiny.
The first time it's played is when Optimus Prime challenges Megatron one-on-one, crashing through a large number of Decepticons (and killing them in the process) to get there. Then second time is when Rodimus Prime finally activates The Matrix and destroys Unicron. The first time it ends in the death of Optimus, but that was only after Hot Rod interfered, so I wouldn't make that a requirement Smile
So, I think the power should be that it allows Doug to rise up to the challenge presented before him, but it only works when all the chips are down - as Rodimus Prime said, "Light our darkest hour." It's a way of Doug facing a nearly hopeless situation and finding the one way to make it out in one piece.
Of course, it's your call Bob Smile
On a side note, you could use "Dare", also by Stan Bush (and Hot Rod's theme song) as a fun power - it gives Doug both the skill and the cojones to be an ultimate stunt driver, carrying over to the car's capabilities as well, so that he can just drive like a bat out of hell and pull of anything he tries Smile
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
That sounds like an interesting interpretation actually--basically a 'last-ditch' song. Though you do have the problem of what such a situation consists of...and what happens if the song is used in something that *isn't* a last-ditch situation. ;-)
If it's not a warranted situation, the song doesn't work. Depending on how not last-ditch it is, it could simply fizzle, or it could backfire. In some ways, it's akin to using "Twist of Fate" - you're asking the gods to give you something extraordinary, and it's up to them to decide if you're worthy and what it's gonna cost you.
As a starting point, I'd put the following restriction on when it's likely to work: If there's not a decent chance Doug, his compatriots, and/or those he's protecting are going to die when Doug starts the song, it won't work. Plus, the more Doug is willing to die to succeed, the greater the chance that it will succeed. If he's not willing to sacrifice himself to win, he's not gonna win. Not that it means he has to die to win, just that he has to be willing to do so...
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
Quote:
So, I think the power should be that it allows Doug to rise up to the challenge presented before him, but it only works when all the chips are down - as Rodimus Prime said, "Light our darkest hour." It's a way of Doug facing a nearly hopeless situation and finding the one way to make it out in one piece.
I just love this idea to pieces, except as a writer. It would come across as just too much of a deus ex machina if I were to actually try this in a story.

-- Bob
---------