Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need suggestions
Re: Need suggestions
Okay, Bob.
Found the song, and I've transcribed it as best as I could. It's performed by Gary McGath on his Shrink Wrap Blues tape. Let me know if you'd want to hear a copy - I'm going to make a digital file for my archives.
Soul of the Steel
Music and lyrics: B. J. Willinger
Chorus:
I am the soul of the steel.
The mind and heart of man have made me real.
Although I started life just a fragment of the earth,
The fire and arm of man now give me birth.

My life with man began when [the Gupta]* found a stone,
Hard-forged by fiery passage through the sky.
And once a thing was seen, and an idea had grown,
To make his own star-metal he would try.
And so he tried, and then his sons, and then their sons again,
Til the smelter's molten drops became a flood.
The first shape was the knife, and the second was the sword.
The first of my forge-quenchings were in blood.
Chorus
A thousand years of war, then at last a time of peace,
Another man discovered my great worth.
For if I'd make a blade to cut the flesh of man,
I'd make a blade to cut the flesh of earth.
And men would plow, and men would sow, and men would reap the grain,
To make the bread that graced their daily meal.
And gathered in their homes, they would break the bread of peace,
And say a prayer of thanks to Earth for steel.
Chorus
Millennia have gone, intermingling peace and war,
My life with man increased a million-fold.
Steel sometimes shaped for good, then at other times for ill,
I did not judge; 'twas man who cast the mold.
Yet man survived my crushing strength when I was Death's machines,
And taught my dense and weighty form to fly.
And now a starship's hull, I am launched beyond the Earth,
As man returns star-metal to the sky.
Chorus
*I'm not certain of this part of the transcription. It doesn't sound quite right, but I honestly cannot make it out any clearer. Given that steelmaking apparently started in India during the Gupta dynasty, I decided to go with this, since it at least sounds close and makes sense in context. If anyone listens to the song and can make out what this is supposed to be, I would appreciate knowing. Thanks.

Hope this works for you. It certainly seems to be at least a possible candidate.
--Feinan
Ooh, I'd like to hear that too, if possible - merrynh at adelpia dot net
- CDSERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
Dr. Akagi will recover. Observe, Rei smiled. Shinji-kun, are these your clothes?
Ritsuko shot up like a spring loaded meerkat. What? Shinji-kun is naked?
See, Anata? Dr. Hentai is alive and well. - Innortal's _I Do_
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Quote:
Found the song, and I've transcribed it as best as I could. It's performed by Gary McGath on his Shrink Wrap Blues tape. Let me know if you'd want to hear a copy - I'm going to make a digital file for my archives.
Please do. I've been unable to find a copy or a place to buy a copy in several days' search of the Web.
Oh, and until I track down and listen to CD's suggestions, that looks like a number one contender. It explicitly sets out just about everything I want to be able to do.

-- Bob
---------
For Jor-El so loved the Earth, he sent his only begotten son...
Re: Re: Possibilities
Quote:
No, that would be Paul Simon:
Sorry, Lurker, that one has a (non-power) place already in the Sailor Moon Step.

-- Bob
---------
Re: hrm
Quote:
Modern English - Melt With You.
BTW, just saw the film Sky High on DVD last night. The entire soundtrack was 80s and early 90s hits redone by contemporary performers -- Bowling For Soup did this one, and it came out quite well.
Oh, and if you haven't seen Sky High, give it a look. It's a little corny, but intentionally so, and it's quite fun.
After watching it, btw, Peggy and I discussed the possibility of importing Sky High into Warriors' World as a rival school for Warriors' Academy (after all, you need someone to challege to moopsball games...). And we joked about Coach Boomer and Shadowwalker having a bit of a personal animosity...

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Oh, and until I track down and listen to CD's suggestions, that looks like a number one contender. It explicitly sets out just about everything I want to be able to do.
Since all of mine are kind of just shading around the edges and looking squinty-eyed, I say go with that one - not that I don't think they're good songs per se, just not as good for the purpose.
Dr. Akagi will recover. Observe, Rei smiled. Shinji-kun, are these your clothes?
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
Hey, sometimes the indirect and imprecise song works better for me as a writer. I'm not ruling out your suggestions until I actually get to hear them!

-- Bob
---------
Hey, Bob.
I've got the song converted to a file. Send me an email, and let me know where to send it? keaches at columbus.rr.com.
--Feinan
I see what you meet about that line that doesn't quite make sense - it sounds like "gamba" to make an onomatopeia out of it, but unless there's some archiac or foreign word for metalworker/smith that's like that I can't come up with anything myself. Is there anything like a homepage for this filker, or maybe a more complete name to search for an email? nothing like asking the performer what the words they're actually singing are, after all.
--