Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A song with extremely limited usefulness...
A song with extremely limited usefulness...
Tell me one more time again just like I didn't hear you
Like I don't know what's going through your mind, I do
I play the same game too
I know it's hard to stop
Even when you want to
Now the moon lights up your face and I can see you're crying
You never liked me to see you cry, it's true
I've done some crying too
You know, the hardest part about it
Is trying to hide it from you
Well it would be great to be so strong
I never needed anybody else to get along
But we're so scared of the silence and the tricks that we use
O, we're careful and we're cunning, but we're easily bruised
I don't want to lie about it, I'm not bulletproof
Well I finally found the way to hide from all your glances
Til the waiting game we play is through
I can, but what's the use
When all I really want to do is hide out with you?
It would be great to be so strong
You never needed anybody's help to get along
We're so scared of the silence and the language that we use
Oh we're careful and we're cunning, but we're easily bruised
I don't wanna kid about it, I'm not bulletproof
Tell me one more time again I guess I didn't hear you
And I don't know all the secrets that you keep inside
I tried the same thing too
But they all come pouring out of me when I'm talking to you
Well it would be great to be so strong
Never needed anybody else's help to carry on
But I'm not waking up each morning with forgiveness I can use
No I'm careless and I'm cruel, but I'm still easily bruised
But I'm so tired of lying about it, I'm not bulletproof
No, and I'm not going to lie about it, I'm not bulletproof
Blue Rodeo, "Bulletproof" (from the 2002 album "Palace of Gold")

The vibe I get from this is that Doug's powers are supressed for the duration of the song.
Now, why would he want to do that? Normally, he wouldn't, but his powers include that improbability field that causes him so many problems in "normal" activities.
(And it's a ballad, so it wouldn't be completely out of place in a romantic situation...)
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Re: A song with extremely limited usefulness...
Wow, an actual 'utility power' song! Most of the time all anyone really talks about are combat powers. Sweet!
- CD
What, you think Samuel L. Jackson isn't going to survive the zombie apocalypse?

SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
I don't have nearly enough "utility" songs. ("Good Morning" probably counts. And I'm sure I have a couple more; I just can't think of them.)
Of course, the main problem with power-suppressing songs is defining them so they don't end immediately. What do I mean? Basically: The song uses his power to shut off his power but with his power shut off he can't use his power to shut off his power so his power comes back right away.
Gotta love loopbacks like that.
Doesn't mean this song won't work. In fact, I'd certainly want at least one song in his repertoire to reliably do that.

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
Actually, I was thinking of a kind of combo duty song the other day - Space Lord by Monster Magnet. Combat utility keys off the chorus and some bits of the verses, the ability Doug knows about from the first line, which seems odd to him, but he acknowledges that his mind is an odd place that works in odd ways.
Anyway, lyrics, then details.
I've been stuffed in your pocket for the last hundred days
When I don't get my bath I take it out on the slaves
So grease up your baby for the ball on the hill
Polish them rockets now, and swallow those pills
And say oh------- Space Lord Mothermother
There's a car in the field now in a column of flame
With two doors to choose but only one bears your name
You been drinkin' my blood while I been lickin' your wounds
Well I'll shave off the pitch now and the scope of your tune
You'll sing oh----------Space Lord Mothermother

(chorus)
I left my throne a million miles away
I drink from your tit and sing the blues every day
Give me the strengh to split the world in two now
I ate all the rest and now I've gotta eat you

Milking my nightmares and using my name
You're stabbing my cortex when you know I'm insane
I'm squeezed out in hump-drive and I'm drowning in love
Encompass immortal position above
And say oh----------Space Lord Mothermother
Chorus + Space Lord Mothermother (4X)

I lost my soul when I fell to earth
My planets call me to the void of my birth
The time has come for me to kill this game
Now open wide and say my name
Space Lord Mothermother (Repeat)

Within a million miles of Doug's homeworld or a reasonable facsimile thereof, he designates an individual as a target, then enters a pocket of slow time, recieving vague impressions of what the target sees and hears as it speeds by for up to one humdred days if he goes the full length of the song in the pocket. Mainly useful as an escape or perhaps to follow someone home, but if he or someone small enough for him to carry is badly injured and he's out of healing for the day he could focus on an ally and have them do the traveling to somewherre support is available.
Outside the boundary or on worlds not recogniseably a historical or near-future Earth, he has life support capable of resisting open space and, well, 'the strength to split the word in two', though probably not literally. Then again, if he can coalesce raw energy into mass for simalcra and song props, he can probably release it in a burst... for 5:55, anyway, which is an eternity in combat time. Of course, what situation he could possibly be in to actually need that kind of firepower and would otherwise match the distance requirement is another question. Stargate SG-1, maybe, or DBZ.

Hmm, other siongs nearby in my plylist that might do something... Spacegrass by Clutch would probably give him a convertible Galaxie 500 with a chromed blower sticking out of the hood and at least interplanetary range during the song's 6:34 duration, since it mentions several, even if 'it'll be eternity/'till we make it to M-83' - intergalactic travbel being significantly further than a little hop between neighbors.

The Bad Touch by the Bloodhound Gang - a song that's a marital aid, and hence one he plays only for Shadow Walker. (Love!/The kind you cleam up with a mop and bucket...)

This Music Is Wasted (If We Don't Dance) by the Red Elvises - gets everyone in AoE moving to the rhythm of whatever is on external speakers, which need not be the same song. Great for getting a party feeling going.

Zoot Suit Riot by the Cherry Poppin' Daddies - transforms all clothing in AoE into perfectly fitted suits with wide padded shoulders. This is a transformation, not an illusion, so it remains even after the song ends.

wrapping back to the top...
Arrested for Driving While Blind by ZZTop - sort of the opposite of a 'don't notice me' effect, but not 'look only at me' either - his entire area of effect gives law officers 'something is off here' vibes from however far away they can sense it, even through remote equipment. Great for drawing official attention to smaltime illegal activity if he doesn't want to reveal himself.

Handle With Care by the Travelling Wilburies - enchants a container to protect anything placed inside from shock and vibration. How long the enchantment lasts depends on how much power he pumps into the song beyond the minimum needed.

Immortal by Clutch - three possible effects, switchable as desired - he can produce a small flame like a welding torch at will (who's the man who stole fire for the people?), permanently banish or shape large quantities of stone (who carved a mountain into a cathedral?) or find a designated item (who found the ark inside Texarkana?) However, he can only see out of one eye for the duration, and it's not long enoguh for any putative agelessness effect to show up, though he does have a minor invulnerability - winds, however strong, don't bother the one good eye.

Levitation by Amorphis - Doug can levitate himself or others.

Magic Carpet Ride by Steppenwolf - totally obvious

Make It Real by The Scorpions - transform materials directly into an object, ala Fullmetal Alchemist. Of course, he has to HAVE the right materials, and be able to completely envision every detail of the object he wants... and there's always a chance of catastrophic failiure, no matter how clear his image, due to the repeated lines about crazy gambles and taking chances.

- CD

--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
Quote:
Magic Carpet Ride by Steppenwolf - totally obvious
I'm out of time tonight, but I'll address this one -- Doug uses it already in DWII after his first meeting with the Sabers.

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
Quote:
I'm out of time tonight, but I'll address this one -- Doug uses it already in DWII after his first meeting with the Sabers.
Huh. I remember Thunder Road and Fly Like an Eagle, but not this one... guess I should read it again, ne?
- CD

--
Quote:
Of course, the main problem with power-suppressing songs is defining them so they don't end immediately. What do I mean? Basically: The song uses his power to shut off his power but with his power shut off he can't use his power to shut off his power so his power comes back right away.
That's where you go with what I call "the Bursar solution", after the character in the Discworld stories. The Bursar is insane, but his associates have developed a treatment for him where he hallucinates that he's completely sane. It works for the short term.
So, what we do in this case is have Doug's power manifest in such a way that he's indistinguishable from a normal human for the duration of the song - no combat-hype, no improbability field, etc, etc, etc... It isn't quite the same a "powers are supressed", but it's close enough for an RPG...
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Quote:
That's where you go with what I call "the Bursar solution",
Hm. That'd work, yes...

-- Bob
---------
Any opinion on the rest of those, Bob, or have you not heard/of them?
- CD

--
So the song just damps out his chaos field for the duration, without turning off his song-spell ability. Simple, ne?
--Sam
"Oh, there's crime here. I can smell it."
Eh? Personally I'd say that it channels his Improbabilty effect back on itself while its playing, causing it to fixate on a single improbabilty, that of the field NOT DOING ANYTHING.
Once its over though, its back to life as UN ususal..."I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
God, have I been avoiding this area for two months? Yeek.
Quote:
Any opinion on the rest of those, Bob, or have you not heard/of them?
Most of them I don't know, but I've extracted them all to a list just now and I will do my best to get my hands on them and listen to them.

-- Bob
---------