Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something I'm curious about
Something I'm curious about
Doug's metagift won't be affected by purely muscial pieces. But what about pieces with a few words like...

Conti's Theme From Rocky (Gonna Fly Now)!
And if it does..what's the effect?
BTW..does anyone has a copy of the soundtrack?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: Something I'm curious about
As long as we're asking technical questions... What effect, if any, would a different-language cover of a song that Doug knows have? He might not understand the words, but he knows what they should mean anyway. Would that knowledge be enough to trigger the metagift?
I ask this because CBC Radio 1 recently played a couple of covers of the Beatles' Yellow Submarine - one in Latin, the other in Gaelic. (No, they didn't provide information on how to track down copies.) There's also the Portugese covers of various Bowie songs in the recent movie An Aquatic Life...
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Quote:
Conti's Theme From Rocky (Gonna Fly Now)!
It's a good question -- one I've pondered a lot for ELO's "Fire On High", actually. Complete god's honest truth? I haven't decided yet. -- Bob
---------
Chaos isn't really chaos if it isn't Lawful part of the time.
Quote:
What effect, if any, would a different-language cover of a song that Doug knows have?
No effect, really, unless he knows the language in question. The part of his brain that "feeds instructions" to the magegift is verbally-oriented and so needs the explicit sounds it understands to "convert".
I think I covered this at least a little somewhere on the FAQ page...-- Bob
---------
Chaos isn't really chaos if it isn't Lawful part of the time.
Well, you did say 'covers have different effects' and 'he needs to understand the language' seperately. I can't remember if a noteably different performance by the same band is mentioned as being different or not, such as the tendency for things to be longer when played in concert than a studio track that they want to get on the radio.
- CDHow many times have you stared mournfully into the coleslaw and thought "Gee, I wish I was a cabbage."
SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Quote:
I think I covered this at least a little somewhere on the FAQ page...
I wasn't sure from the FAQ whether Doug's magegift worked on what he actually heard or what he expected to hear (the difference between "raw" and "processed" data, if you like). Thanks.
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012