Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obvious(?) Idea
Obvious(?) Idea
Here's one that's probably been thought of before, though the most logical consequence might be a bit overpowered.
Pat Benetar's "Invincible"
I can see this as granting, well, invincibility, but only in a true life-or-death situation, due to the lines:
Stand up and face the enemy
It's a do or die situation
We will be Invincible....
Is this one already in Doug's repertoir, and if so, just how does it work?
Re: Obvious(?) Idea
Quote:
Pat Benetar's "Invincible"
I can see this as granting, well, invincibility, but only in a true life-or-death situation, due to the lines:

This strikes me as something the GM would say "um... no." to, just because it would make him next to impossible to kill. At least, I wouldn't allow a power like that, even under life-and-death combat conditions... Doug has other songs that can save his bacon ( Tubthumping) without making him outright unkillable for 3 minutes... that just takes the fun out of it [Image: smile.gif]
-Z
---
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programms, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
Actually, Invincible is going to be part of the ending of the story -- but not as a power.
I think I'll leave the teaser-dropping at that.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Well, regarding the invincibility being too overpowered, I could see that if it weren't for the fact that I seem to recall a comment made regarding another song ("I Will Survive," maybe?) that would make Doug tough enough to float merrily along in the heart of a star. There's not too much difference between that and invincibility, to my mind.
As for that other not-hint teaser, all I'm going to say is that you're an evil, evil man.
Quote:
Well, regarding the invincibility being too overpowered, I could see that if it weren't for the fact that I seem to recall a comment made regarding another song ("I Will Survive," maybe?) that would make Doug tough enough to float merrily along in the heart of a star. There's not too much difference between that and invincibility, to my mind.
"I Will Survive" has psychological side effects on him -- he refuses help and eschews teamwork for its duration -- not always a wise course on Warriors-level missions.
As to whether "Invincible" is overpowered, well, the song says pretty much that he will be undefeated. It says nothing about guaranteeing that he will do any defeating of his own.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
As to whether "Invincible" is overpowered, well, the song says pretty much that he will be undefeated. It says nothing about guaranteeing that he will do any defeating of his own.
The song is also in the plural ("stand up and face the enemy / it's a do or die situation / we will be invincible / and with the power of conviction / there is no sacrifice...") so it's likely (?) to effect his entire team and at least ensure their survival in the face of overwhelming odds... I'm just working from memory, but I still think it's a bit on the high-power side... but there's always room for negotiation... maybe it turns his current situation into overwhelming odds, but he can't die while the song is running?
-Z
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programms, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
Quote:
but he can't die while the song is running?
But he takes all the damage anyway, and when the song is over... Yeah, that might work.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
But he takes all the damage anyway, and when the song is over... Yeah, that might work.
He'd better have a first-aid song slaved to the end of it, then, because that's going to be a lot of damage to fix... (if it's not, then he didn't really need the song in the first place)
-Z
----
----
Another possibility is that the song makes _everyone_ in the area invincible for the duration. Thus making enemies as well as allies invulnerable.
That might work, too...

-- Bob
---------
Well, an alternative Pat Benetar song would probably work pretty well in its place:
Hit Me With Your Best Shot.
The lyrics would seem to permit melee and missile weapons. "Put up your dukes; let's get down to it ... fire away."
And of course, while they _all_ hit Doug since they're the "best shot," it's useless: "Knock me down/It's all in vain/I get right back on my feet again."
This is rather good, really. It means no one is aiming at other targets who he might be trying to protect. However, it remains to be seen whether the attacks would hit only Doug, veering around anyone caught in the middle, or just try to go through them.
That's a pretty good idea, Captain -- I didn't have a power description set for "Best Shot" (even though we know it's in his helmet -- it's mentioned when the Sabers scan through his jukebox listing). I'll have to remember that for the future. Thanks!
-- Bob
(BTW, anyone ever notice that "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" appears to have been written for a male singer, and some crude edits were made to accomodate a female one?)
-- Bob
---------
Another "Invincible" Song
Zojojojo said:
Quote:
The song is also in the plural ("stand up and face the enemy / it's a do or die situation / we will be invincible / and with the power of conviction / there is no sacrifice...&quot[Image: wink.gif] so it's likely (?) to effect his entire team and at least ensure their survival in the face of overwhelming odds...
In my early drafts of DW2 I actually had a something like this in mind, but I dropped it because it really didn't fit the course the plot was taking. The scene would have been one of Doug fighting alongside the Sabers, against something utterly overwhelming which had all but defeated them completely. Then Doug, at the end of his rope, plays "We Are The Champions" by Queen. Wounds heal. Hardsuits regenerate, ammo refills, hardsuit computers report "Armor Integrity at 479%", "Ammunition supplies at 522%", etc. Then they promptly go and kick ass, possibly with a classically cliche combined attack.
The problem was, this was a classic "climax of the story" device -- and the only appropriate place for it would have been in the middle of the story, before he has his falling out with them. Oh well, add another piece of film to the cutting room floor...

-- Bob
---------