Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Different Worlds
Different Worlds
We already have been told that "different" versions of the "same" song can have differing effects, but what about a song having different effects in different worlds. I know that Doug effectively rewrites reality within at least his basic field, but given that he's prone to drawing at least partially on the local ambient (and nodular) mana, might the nature of the surrounding area have an effect on his powers?
Not necessarily a drastic change, but it would be fun to see the look on Doug's face when he did something and it came off tilted 5 degrees to the wierd... [Image: smile.gif]
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
Re: Different Worlds
Are you certain he'd even notice? I mean, Doug is the epitome of being pressed 5 degrees to the wierd, after all. [Image: tongue.gif] "I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."

-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Quote:
Are you certain he'd even notice? I mean, Doug is the epitome of being pressed 5 degrees to the wierd, after all.
A valid point, but I'm thinking of something where a) he's expecting a specific result that he's used before, and b) it's 5 degrees to wierd for him... [Image: smile.gif]
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
Oh gods, that would be just too complicated to deal with if it were a general rule, but for a one-off oddball place, maybe it would be fun...

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Re: Different Rules
Well, there are various places where that might seem likely -- Pepperland stands out as one.
Jeeze. Doug in Pepperland -- where music already has a physical effect...
Doug'd certainly love trashing Blue Meanies.
(BTW, did I ever mention here that I'd wanted to have Doug manifest the Glove from Yellow Submarine in downtown Megatokyo? I never did fit it into the plot, but I just loved the image of this giant psychedelic flying glove pounding boomers flat... And how Leon and Daley would react to it.)

-- Bob
---------
Pepperland could be a very fun step.
I imagine it would have to be set after 'Yellow Submarine.' Bring back the Blue Meanies as villains again, or something worse. Taking advantage of the breakup of the Beatles -- and possibly of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band given how similar they are. Doug could basically end up working with a resistance movement of Pepperlanders and any remaining good Blue Meanies.
Doug would surely enjoy the Sea of Holes if he went there. The gate song presents itself: 'Get Back' from 'Let it Be.' But Doug's combative mentality probably wouldn't be successful in Pepperland, where reconciliation is more important in the end.
Of course, Doug needn't be a powerful combatant in Pepperland. We've never seen him actually make music, and that's the key to doing significant stuff there. I don't see him having an exceptional advantage in a world that behaves very much like his own metagift anyway.
(another world where music inherently has a physical effect is the Flipside, from the fortunately long-forgotten 1980's cartoon Kidd Video. It's pretty similar to Pepperland in a lot of ways though; they probably share a border)
That's really an interesting set of ideas, Captain. I'm going to have to keep that one in mind. Thanks!

-- Bob
---------