Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dual Purpose Song
Dual Purpose Song
I don't know if Doug's Metatalent will work this way, but I have a song that could have 2 different effects depending on the situation it is used in: Jackson Brown's "Stay".
If played on its own, it will keep people from fleeing the area of effect and/or will "hold" people. If played at the end of another song, it will extend the effect of the first song until Stay finishes. Used in the second way, it is a "Meta-Song" along the lines of "I'll Play For You".
This brings up the question of other Meta-Songs for Doug. I think that ELP's "Karn Evil 9" might be usable to extend an effect indefinitely - until Doug uses another Song...
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
Re: Dual Purpose Song
Huh. I like that. I don't think a GM would allow the double-use, but I could certainly use more metasongs...

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
re extended play song
find a song that allows another song to be repeated, getting past the once a day/limit.
eg. play it again sam.
idea based solely on song title.
limits to idea.
1 must play song "Sam" first then directly proceed to
song to be repeated.
2 time limit can apply. eg play "sam" for 10 secs you get
song repeat for 10 secs up to time limit for full "sam" song.
useful without breaking your gaming limits as it can allow One critical repeat with drawbacks.
eg. you can't just repeat your fav battlesong due to timing constraints.
hmm, just thought up an alternate use that would definitely be considered game breaking.
temporally repeat upto songtime limit.
eg time travel 2 or 3 minutes back.
hope you find any of that useful.
Re: re extended play song
I dunno... I'd argue that it wouldnt really be that game breaking... since the 'repeat' song could only be used once a day... ergo, IF it was allowed, you could only repeat one song per day. the same goes with a 'get back' type song... ok, you can only move back (the duration of the song) Once per day... and his meta talent knows he's used it, so he can't re-use it even after he's moved back until after midnight.
Its all in the effects, after all."I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Quote:
eg. play it again sam.
I don't think I know that -- who recorded it? And when? Sounds like an obvious Casablanca tribute...

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
I'd argue that it wouldnt really be that game breaking... since the 'repeat' song could only be used once a day... ergo, IF it was allowed, you could only repeat one song per day.
That's the way I'd look at it, if I were fairly GMing myself.

-- Bob
---------
my apologies. i only realized later that my memory came up with an old movie quote instead of a song. still Loonie has a hollywood background. hmm could make something of that i suspose. the only metasong he got from a musicvideo instead of a song. some kind of tribute mv put together to celebrate the old movie classics hmm.
could be interesting.
well is that a crazy enough explanation.
all the best.
Oh lordie... Now you've got me wondering what would happen if Doug's Metatalent latched on to one of Weird Al's medly numbers. (he does one per album) Like Polka's on 45.
Then again, didn't this come up once before, and the general through was something like a D&D Wand of Wonder? (or rather an effect that Doug got through another song... a Beatles one, iirc)"I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."

NO QUARTER!!!
You're thinking of "I Am The Walrus", which was indeed a "Wand of Wonder" type effect.

-- Bob
---------
thought so."I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."

NO QUARTER!!!